So I finally got my boaters license, since I'm trying to buy a boat. Been meaning to get it anyway.

Was under the impression the online class was required. So I took and passed the online class - $30

Come to find out later I could have taken the test at the State Trooper's office and it would've only been $5, according to the lady trooper. Oh well, that's on me I guess - should've called and got clarification.

Well I get to the State Trooper office to have the "V" added to my license. - $36 for the "duplicate" fee....

so now we're at $76 just to get a boater license.

HERE'S THE KICKER...

my license was scheduled to expire in May. AFTER I'd paid the $36 fee, the state trooper lady "reminded" me that they can only renew them 60 days in advance, so mine is STILL going to expire in May, at which point I'll have to pay ANOTHER $36 to renew it.

I calmly and rationally explained how that was absolute BullShucks, and that it would've been really damn nice to have known that 10 minutes earlier. The state gives you a 30 day grace period to drive a newly purchased boat without a license. So even if I bought one later this month, I could have waited to get my Vessel license until I was within that 60 day window and save one of the $36 fees...

It's a wonder I made it out of there without being in handcuffs.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft