Thanks Hayman....Stickers thumbup

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
I love that Otis is a working dog that is good with people! He looks happy to be getting pet in all the recovery pics! I think he loves to love as much as he loves to track.

One of the guides out there was saying the exact same thing. I couldn’t ask for a friendlier dog than Otis. He has a great personality and doesn’t show the least bit of aggression toward anyone when we find a deer…..he’s just happy. He loves the socialization with the hunters too.

This was a pretty easy track compared to other ones we’ve been on. It doesn’t make for a dramatic story but I’d take ‘em like this all day long if we could get ‘em. I think the hunter just got overly excited cause he was still pretty amped up when I got there. He sent the guide a message that he had stuck a “big 9 pt”. grin He knew he had stuck it high and back with no pass through..... and he wanted to go ahead and call in the dog man, as he described me to the guide. If you look in the pic you can tell where he hit it there in the back. He actually stuck the deer in the middle of the day and kept sitting in his stand to try and get a doe. By the time we gave his buck some time and I got there to track…..he had already stuck one of the biggest does I’ve ever seen. That was the only really hard part about this track. I had to get Otis to try and track the blood trail from the buck while at the same time there was a second blood trail, and a deer, laying not 50 yards away.

I didn’t think we were going to be able to pull it off at first cause Otis could definitely wind the doe laying over in the bushes. I still had him on a leash and he was pulling hard over in that direction wanting to go to it. We had some initial blood on the buck and knew a direction it had run in so I just kept pulling Otis away from the doe and tried to focus his attention on the other scent line. Finally, we got far enough away that he stopped paying the doe any attention and he stuck his nose down on the ground to get a good whiff of blood scent in it. When he did, his focus changed to the buck’s scent line and I cut him loose. It was one of the prettiest lines he’s run all year. It was only a few hundred yards but he made a bee line right to it crossing right over an interior road with no problem. Those have been minor distractions for him on some tracks. The whole ordeal lasted a grand total of about 10 minutes if that. It wasn’t quite the “Big 9” that the hunter thought it was when he walked up on it but I’ll say this….he was still a very happy hunter and seemed to be enjoying every minute of it. That’s the most important part. This is some fun stuff. Enjoy it while you can. smile

Last edited by CNC; 01/09/16 04:41 AM.

We dont rent pigs