Originally Posted By: BhamFred
training in real life situations is critical for success in the field.

I ran into this when working my K-9 Mal Taz. Night hunter ran from me one night, then bailed out of a moving vehicle. Quite comical seeing him bounce off the blacktop like he did. Then the alcohol numbed idiot decided to run into the woods. I had stopped right behind his running self, and sent Taz to apprehend(bite and hold) the idiot. She had sight on him and blasted into the windshield of the truck..once..twice..three times before I could grab her and throw her out the door.

I had assumed she KNEW how to get out of the truck..wrongly it turns out. She got the guy and all worked out (for the good guys) but I realized I had failed in my training.

We started the next day sending her on a bite FROM the truck. First time in training she hit the windshield again. LOL She got the hang of it next time and all was good to go.

try to think of EVERY dang situation ya'll might get into and train for it.

In hindsight, this scenario should have probably been a major focal point of training after I was done introducing the basics. Running a scent line is actually pretty simple and straight forward but the search area puzzle is a major challenge. I may try to see if I can recreate a better training situation for Otis to work through sometimes this week before we go on our next track.

We dont rent pigs