Originally Posted By: Fun4all
Originally Posted By: Hogwild
There is a lot of debate ongoing concerning deer numbers. It honestly baffles me to see some of the statements! So, my question is:

Do most of you understand the Concept of antlerless harvest?

It IS to lower the population!

No more, no less.
Simply curtailing buck harvest will have SAME effect on buck:doe ratio as killing does. So, save that argument. It is to reduce overall numbers and it works very well.

I think you are on to something! And now the DCNR can't figure out how to get out of it! Going from kill 1 buck per day with a few doe days to blast 2 does per day the entire season to offset the 3 buck limit! It's somewhat laughable that they worked their way right into a catch 22 with all of the TV big buck quality deer mismanagement clamour from billybob the mighty hunter groups! The answer I am sure will be more regulations and stupidity, those things that government bureaucracy is good at! Trudge on men we have a problem to create, so we can create a solution!!

Exactly!

I have a LOT of Biologist buddies. Heck, I even went to college for a while myself at AU with some of them as I thought that it was a field that I, myself, would enjoy. So, I am absolutely certain that this situation with a greatly reduced deer population in areas along with a dwindling herd in others was created by people with the very best of intentions. And, honestly, with the information that they had at the time, the change was needed in areas. However, hunters have become accustomed to the fact that they can kill a deer or two a day if they see them. They do not want that privilege taken away.
And, you are correct......even though the internet is full of deer management gurus......it will take Regulations, harvest regs or season changes to curtail the antlerless harvest in critical areas. Because the propaganda worked. People have convinced themselves that they are doing the 'right' thing.