I know Guntersville Dam inside and out, literally, from fishing as a kid and working as a TVA contractor. Years ago boats went into the turbine discharge areas to snag. Some of my cousins got capsized under thare AT NIGHT in a 12' flatbottom plywood boat and damn near drowned. That was back in the '60s. Kapok life jackets of the day almost didn't float the guys. I doubt anybody snags these days as it is a LOT of physical labor for little reward unless you get a sure nuff huge fish on.

Generation is dictated/programmed from Chattanooga and the turbines cycle automatically and the upsurge of the water is instant and very violent.......even several feet outside the discharge openings. My advice is to stay way back.

Surprising as it may be turbine speed is only about 100rpm, give or take 5 or 6 rpms

Speaking of TVA dams, going almost all the way across the river just above impellor level(way below water level even on the downstream side)thru Wilson Dam is damn spooky. All dams make lots of noise down in their bowels but the passages in that old dam were poorly lit and that magnified the creepyness.

Last edited by Wiley Coyote; 07/19/11 07:51 AM.

I firmly believe that a double gallows should be constructed on the East Lawn of The White House. Politicians who willfully and shamelessly violate their oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America should be swiftly tried and, upon conviction, publicly hanged at sunup the day after conviction. If multiple convicts are to be hanged they can choose with whom to share the gallows or names shall be drawn from the hangman's hat to be hanged 2 at a time.

NRA Life Member