Originally Posted By: selmadogdoc
I just found this site and found all the info on chufa very interesting. Control of weeds is the number one problem with chufa, especially if you try to plant year after year. I have been planting for about 40 years, and still have not learned it all. My problem weeds are maypop (passion flower), and ground cherry. If anyone has successfully eliminated these weeds from chufa,please let me know.

Can't be too many Selma vets that grow chufas, so welcome to aldeer! There also can't be too many chufa-growing preachers with farms in Perry Co that were dumb enough to have tried Cotoran on chufa, so that tells you who I am. smile

Don't pay any attention to Yekrut; he's a good guy, but he likes to shoot lost, baby hens in the fall in TN. wink

>>>Chufa is only cheating if you use the plot as a harvest tool, just like feeding corn. I use it to keep turkeys on my land so that they can be hunted. If it were not for chufa, I would have lost about 20 years of turkey hunting when my land was severely clear cut. I personally think that using decoys are cheating, but I lost that battle. I also think "double bull blinds" is cheating, but lots of people use them. I also think super full chokes and 10 gauge guns that can kill a turkey out to 60 yards, is cheating, but I bet you have one. My criteria is to call the turkey into good shooting range and harvest him. The fact that I have chufa on my place somewhere on my place is not cheating.<<<

Agree 100%! Decoys and blinds make turkey hunting a totally different sport from what it was when I was growing up. And those evil 10 gauges too; sure glad I ain't got one of them. As far as I know, Yekrut doesn't either, but he shoots those wicked Nitros, which is even worse. smile

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.