I like to do all kinds of hunting and shooting. Here is my take.

Hunting: Pursuit, skill sets, woodsmanship, stealth, challenge.
Shooting: Right place, right time, can happen to most anyone with basic shooting skills.

Dove hunting is really dove shooting. You sit and wait on one to fly by and then shoot it or at it. Takes skills to be a good shot but not a lot of "hunting" required. You don't have to be quiet, you can move around, even listen to a ballgame and talk. Love a good dove shoot.

Continental pheasant events are shooting events, not actual hunting. Stand in a big circle, shoot at bird as it flies by.

Quail/upland bird hunting is actual hunting though...walking, working the dogs, positioning, covey rise and wingshot often through thick stuff. There is pursuit involved which takes it to a different level.

Turkey: This is hunting. Period.

Deer Hunting: To me there is hunting and then shooting activities when it comes to deer hunting. I enjoy stalking, playing the wind, working a thicket or hillside shelf, working draws, etc... anything where there is active participation, pursuit, required skills and knowlede and effort into getting a deer in my sights. This can often happen in a blind or stand too....setting up at the right tree/fence row/terrain feature in the right place at the right time...anticipating the deer movement and playing chess with ole mossy horns. There is pursuit, game of wits, skill sets to be used. To me this is real and actual hunting.

Deer Shooting: The opposite of hunting is more like "finding". Using a artifacts analogy: One can go hunt for them by working a creek or piece of land. One can also be strolling and happen to look down and find one. Picking a green field, setting up in the shooting house and waiting with gun out the window, and then shooting what walks out to me is more finding than hunting. By chance, you find yourself in the right spot at the right moment. Any hunter with basic skills could have done the same thing, but you signed out for this particular field this day. Got lucky. (Some exceptions might be trail cam scouting told you to expect a buck at a certain time of day.) Typically this to me is mostly shooting, not hunting. And I enjoy this too, especially with my kids. 10 year olds aren't really hunters yet, but we all have seen kids with dead deer and huge smiles taken from a shooting house. It is awesome! Yet, there isn't much pursuit and the only skill set is some basic quietness and good bench type shooting. Having a big pile of bait isn't too far removed in my mind. I have no desire, but to each his own. But let's be intellectually honest about it at least: Sitting over bait or a green field isn't really hunting in its truest sense.

Game Animal Ambushing (Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Antelope, etc...) : If you are specifically setting up on a travel corridor, bedding area, watering hole or some terrain feature where wind, time of day, scent, weather and movement make significant impacts....then this leans more to the hunting side of the spectrum in my mind. There is some luck involved (animals decide to move), but there are multiple skill sets being used that move it to a more difficult challenge in my mind. Perhaps not yours.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by straycat; 08/31/15 08:13 AM.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams