Originally Posted By: Blong
Originally Posted By: HOWTON21
Where are the pictures from? State, vicinity?

Not sure but think north Mississippi. I didn't think area mattered. I thought that a 4 yr old looked the same all over the country and some bodies just larger than others. And since antlers are supposed to have zero to do with aging a deer, the size of them shouldn't matter either. Am I correct on that or not? I have no idea about aging and now not sure anyone else does either unless he is in a pen and been tagged to keep up with.

Yes, typically the characteristics you would look for in a deer for maturity shouldn't change based on region. However, a 4yr old in Kansas looks a lot different than a 4yr old in Alabama. From what I've seen of midwest deer, the mature characteristics are almost exaggerated at each age vs a southern deer if that makes since. For that reason is why I was wondering where the pictures came from. As you mentioned, antler size is not a for sure indicator of age but in my opinion, you could use mass as an general indicator of maturity. Typically a deer is going to put on more mass each year up until a certain point but body characteristics will be the better way to put an educated guess on an age.

My guess on the pics.

#1. 4 yr old
#2. Bad pic to age from but I say 3.
#3. 3 yr old