Originally Posted By: straycat

Originally Posted By: jawbone
Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter
Make sure its acredited. There's alot of home school programs that basically are just good for high school diploma and arnt acredited toward college classes.

Good point. Those "diplomas" from non accredited programs don't mean a thing to employers either, if they check. When doing background checks on potential police officers, I learned the hard way. APOSTC refused to accept a couple of them, so they were not allowed in a police academy until they passed the GED. One never passed his GED. After that, if someone applied and presented a diploma from someplace I had not heard of before, I checked. Then after one applicant got caught forging his name on his brother's diploma, I started checking all of them.

Jawbone, make sure you aren't breaking a new State law passed in 2014. Senate Bill 38, enacted in April 2014, Assigned Act No. 2014-245. Removes regulations from private and church schools. GED is no longer required for any church school or private school (classified as a non-public school) to be enrolled in AL public colleges. These schools are now recognized by the state and DO NOT have to be approved or certified by the State Dept of Education. So a diploma from them counts just like a diploma from a public school. There is no REQUIRED accreditation process by the State of Alabama for these schools, just standards set by law on what subject must be taught, attendance and admin requirements.

FYI: Making a private school educated student or church based home school student go through different standards might be discrimination, now under the new law. Colleges can no longer hold them to different standards...not sure how it might impact employers, so you may want to check on that.

Links for you.
http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/al/201404080.asp

https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/SB38/2014

Actually the Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission sets the standards on what they will accept and what they won't. I'm not involved in it any more, but when I was, we just went by what they used. Generally, a school was OK. They just wouldn't accept online "diplomas" from places that when asked, admitted their accreditation came from themselves. If APOSTC won't let you in an academy, no point in hiring you.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.