I bought a little Yanmar 26 hp tractor with a FEL to use around my house. I don't have but 21 acres here, so I don't need a big tractor. I bought a scrape blade with tilt and angle and have already been using it to work my half-mile driveway. I'll do a little gardening and bush-hogging with it also.

I'd also like to be able to take it to a couple of hunting clubs I'm in to help with the deer plots. I probably won't ever take it more than about 30 miles from home, but one reason I wanted a smaller tractor was so I'd have something I could easily move around with my half-ton pickup. So now I need a trailer.

Most of the time when I have moved a tractor, I've borrowed a flat bed. I really prefer the metal trailers that have a rail around them and a lift gate. I've had this 5x8 trailer for 17 years and it has served me well:

I've seen dual-axle trailers that were made much like this one, but I've noticed they often have both axles right at the back of the trailer. If I put the tractor to the front, that would be way too much weight on the tongue. What's the purpose they have in making them that way?

I'm thinking I want a lift-gate dual axle trailer that is about 5.5x16, with a wood or metal floor. The tractor weighs 2200 lbs; with the loader and an implement I need to figure to be hauling 4000 lbs, and the trailer oughta be rated to haul at least 5000 for a safety factor.

So is this a bad idea, and I should be looking for a flat bed? Or am I on the right track in looking for what I'm describing? Anybody got a good trailer to sell cheap to a poor old preacher? smile

Thanks for any help.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.