Originally Posted By: Bamabucks14
IMHO and in my experience, which I haven't been hunting since the 60s' since I'm only 26 is that the most mature bucks do not bed in the cut overs. I have a couple ridges that are pretty high up and facing the north. The mature bucks always seem to bed at the top of the ridge or right under the top. I thinks it's because they can see all down and through the cut overs looking for predators/hunters. Get up real early one morning and find the quietest way in to a good tree with the right wind. Realllll early and try and wait for one to come to his bed. Also it's fun to go night scouting before season. This way the deer are mostly feeding some where. Find a faintly used trail and look for good beds and set up on one when season opens. This only works for morning hunts though but has def. worked for me. But there is a lot of great advice here and I wouldn't stick to just one strategy, if something like hunting right around the cutover doesn't work try what I said and others one here said. Mix it up! Man I can't wait for deer season!

I had access to a 4 to 5 yr old 300 acre cutover tract in Chambers County several years ago. It was rough terrain with a high rock knoll on one end and thick creek bottom cutting through the center. Elevation difference was about 200 feet. I saw more bucks in that cutover the two seasons I hunted it than any place I ever hunted. The mature bucks ALWAYS bedded just a few feet below the top of the steep knoll and could not be approached without them knowing. I ended up killing two of them by finding a spot to set up where I could pick shots into small open sagebrush areas on the east side of the hill. The deer would bed in the sage areas on cold days.