Originally Posted By: ScentFreeHunter
I understand your viewpoint, however you would be wrong in my case. I already have 1500 acres to hunt in Henry County. The other 3 gentlemen and I that hunt it have been managing the land for 8 years now, and our results are impressive. We took property that was over-run with does, and that had been hunted with the "if it's brown it's down" philosophy for decades, and turned it into a fantastic piece of hunting property. The previous 20 years or so had yielded only 1 deer in excess of 120". Since we started managing it, we have taken 8 deer over 130", with 3 of them going over 140". No bad for a property only 30 minutes from Florida.

About now you are probably asking why I would be looking for another piece of property if my existing hunting land is so good. Well, I will tell you. The rut on our property happens around Christmas, and is usually wound down by the first week of January. The last 3 weeks is usually pretty slow. In contrast, most of the surrounding area has a late January early Feb rut. I figured that I am in a somewhat unique position to live in an area that has 2 distinct ruts, and that if I could find another small property in the January rut area, that I could spend the last few weeks in the season hunting another rut, thus increasing my odds to kill a big one. Nothing sinister, no need for me to hit the lottery. If I can't find anything this year, no big deal, I will just continue to work on it until I do find something.

As far as you questioning the reasoning behind asking a bunch of total strangers for hunting land, I can totally understand, however I look at it like this: it costs me nothing but a few minutes of time to post on the forum and ask. If I get no response, I have lost nothing. If I do happen to get a response, I may end up with something very valuable to me. Sounds like reasonable odds to me: nothing to loose and everything to gain. I won't even be out the $1 for a lottery ticket!

For the gentleman asking about the 80 acres between Montgomery and Bham, I mentioned last week to my co-worker that he could probably lease out that property fairly easily, and he said he had never really considered it before, but would think about it. I will ask him again this week, and if he decides to go that route, will be happy to forward his contact info to you.

How does "over run with does" and Brown it's down" fit into the same land? DO y'all do any year around feeding? JW

"You do and it will be the biggest mistake you ever made, you Texas brush popper" John Wayne