Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
Originally Posted By: JTapia
Originally Posted By: M48scout
Originally Posted By: JTapia
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

How do you know they are capable of living normal lives without incidence? The thing that is so alarming about this breed is that every week you hear of another attack by what up to then were just good family dogs. When they do decide to attack it's horrendous. It's a lot different than just getting bit by a Poodle or a Lab. I've read dozens of reports where these dogs killed family members. More often than not they killed small children. The owners were always floored that their wonderful loving dogs could have done such a thing.

First let me say that the statement "The owners were always floored that their wonderful loving dogs could have done such a thing" is said by ALL breeds that were involved in Fatal Dog bites.
Secondly, the most Identified "mix" breed involved in fatal dog bites are the Pit/Lab mix so apparently there is something in a Lab that brings out the worst in the Pit Bull.

Now I think we all can admit that even 1 fatal dog bite by any breed is unacceptable to a sane person but they are an unavoidable fact of life. With that in mind I submit to you the following stats and some math:

Average Number of Deaths per year in the US: 2,596,993(CDC)

Average number of deaths from Dog Bites(all breeds) per year in the US: This is tricky. The CDC States that there are on average 17 deaths per year since 1980 however I have found several sites that say there are around 30 per year so we'll use the larger number. So the number for this is: 30

Now, according to DogBite.org there are, on average, roughly 67% of annual Fatal Dog bite deaths attributed to Pit Bull , Pit Bull/mix and Pit Bull "type". To be fair we'll use all of these and not quibble the differences between breeds that "look" like a pit and a real pit. So 67% of 30 = 18

So, on average, out of 2,596,993 annual deaths in the US 18 of those were caused by a certain dog breed???
Looking at these numbers I would say there is a lot of misplaced, misguided animosity against a breed of dog that causes 0.000006931092998710432% of all deaths in the US.

I think some of you have an unhealthy phobia.
The evidence and facts just don't support the assertion that all Pit Bulls should die because they are so dangerous. Sorry fellas.

Other interesting things on the list of Facts....By number of fatal bite within the breed, the Husky is more than twice as deadly as the Pit Bull and all of its "type". Percent of Huskys that kill humans .81% The percent of Pit Bulls and Pit Bull "Types" population that are involved in fatal dog bites: .41%. If there were the same number of Huskies in the US as there are Pit Bulls and Pit Bull "Types" there would statistically be twice as many fatal dog bites per year in the US. (Dog Bite Lawyer)

The deadliest animal in the US: the Honey Bee. Causing an average of 53 deaths in the US per year due to allergic reactions to the Bee sting.
As many as 100 deaths per year from allergic reactions to stings from Bees, Wasps, Hornets and Fire Ants combined(CDC)...I guess that could be Honey Bee "Type" also!!

And if you consider the fact that pitbull-type dogs represent a minority of all total dogs, but yet represent the lions share of fatal bites, that points you to why people have the distaste they do for these animals.

That can not be factually proven. With so many different breeds and "types" along with Mixed breeds attributed as being "Pits", I would say that the Pit Bull and all of its' "Types" are the MOST populous dogs in the US.

The Stats I listed are verifiable and produced by the anti Pit Bull groups and the CDC.

So you are back to the same old tired argument that the dogs doing all the killing were just misidentified as being Pits.

How about we put that argument to rest by saying that the breed that people think looks like a pit is responsible for an incredibly disproportionate amount of deaths in the US. Let's just say that people should avoid breeds that look like or could be misidentified as Pits. Furthermore, let's warn people that these Pit lookalikes are incredible dangerous and should be destroyed on sight.

I'm not saying it, the websites yall get your info from are saying that dogs that are counted as Pit Bulls may not even have any Pit Bull blood in them, only that they have the wedge shaped head and "look" like a pit bull.

"incredible dangerous"??? LMAO that is funny right there...18 deaths out of 2,596,993 deaths per year!!?
0.000006931092998710432% of all deaths in the US on average!!?

I see you are still sticking to your tired and unproven argument that these dogs are the most dangerous thing on the planet! loco

Hunt'em hard when they are hard to hunt but never, ever hardly hunt!