Originally Posted By: Atoler
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Originally Posted By: Atoler
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Do y'all really think all stages of hardwood regeneration is excellent turkey habitat?

no, I don't. But without mass timber harvest that is mostly a mute point except for tornado stricken areas, etc.

If I'm just throwing darts, I'd say 90% of all the property I have stepped on, that is made up of natural or mature mixed timber, is serviceable to turkeys. Whereas a much smaller percentage is usable in pine plantations. I'm not complaining, heck I'm too realistic to think that timber companies are going away anytime soon. And as I've said several times in this thread, timber companies are not the nail in the coffin that many like to believe. At the same time, I get tired of people trying to say that common timber practices somehow help turkeys. In my eyes, turkeys exist despite timber lands, not because of them.

What makes you think that they're unserviceable to turkeys? Because you can't see them in there or that you can't shoot them in there?

What makes me think that? Offer any upside that a turkey would have in planted pines from lets sage age 5 to first thin? The reason I think there is no use for them is because a bird does not eat pines or anything produced by them, and the pines shield out all the natural vegetation beneath during these stages, leaving simply pinestraw in a very very thick forest of unedible trees.

A deer doesn't eat anything produced by a pine tree, either. Those planted pines offer the same thing a planted hardwood stand offers at that age.

83% of all statistics are made up.