Originally Posted By: Aaron_H
What DA was over this case?

The DA assigned to the case was John Camp. I have known John since he was a student at Birmingham Southern. Toothdoc my know him. John is a very good prosecutor and I am sure made an assessment of the case and extended a plea offer.

Again, this guy did not get off that easy. Hell, you can get probation in a manslaughter case.

Originally Posted By: Aaron_H

He was never convicted of a violent crime, but is the possession of a forged instrument not a felony? If the possession of a forged instrument was a felony, and he was convicted of two more felonies in this case, would that have designated him a habitual felony offender?

Yes, he could and was treated as an habitual offender. With one prior felony conviction, a Class B felony (manslaughter) is treated as a Class A. That makes the punishment 10 years to 99 years or life. With 2 prior felonies, a Class B has a minimum of 15 years and a maximum of 99 years of life.

As you can see, his sentence falls within the Habitual Offender Range of Punishment.

With this guys history of drug abuse, I would not be surprised to see him relapse after getting out of prison and have his probation revoked to serve the remainder of the sentence.

One other thing I would point out. A split sentence keeps him under the control of the court for longer than a strait sentence and it keeps the state from paroling him prior to the 5 years, which given the state of our prisons is likely.

As for the dismissal of the other charges, that was done with the consent of the victim in that case. He would not have faced any additional jail time in that case, so it did not reduce his punishment to dismiss it.

There is no conspiracy here, his father didn't pay anyone off, hell, they didn't even bond him out of jail and his bond was not that high. The only people his family paid were his lawyers, just like I would hope anyone of your families would do.

Last edited by doekiller; 02/06/15 04:15 AM.