Originally Posted By: AU_trout_bum
Originally Posted By: Atoler
I personally don't care what you do as long as it is legal. With that being said, it is not even a question in my mind that decoys are a crutch. They simply are. I would probably use one if I absolutely had to.

Ex. take the average Midwest hunter. They hunt open land where decoys can create a huge advantage. So much, that they can almost completely rely on them if they want. Then take the average southern hunter, that cut his teeth in continuous timber, swamps, etc. where decoys create ,very little advantage, because by the time they seem them you can kill them.

Turn them both loose in any terrain, let them use whatever tools they want, and the southern hunter wins every time. Why? because he has developed his skills and not been reliant on a product.

^^^^^^^This guy gets it. I can agree with all of that.

However, what would you say about hunting with decoys on big food plots and pastures in the south? I still agree it's a crutch, but sometimes a necessary one.

I like to trick one with my calling. If I had a field bird that just kept whipping me, then I'd probably get fed up enough to use one. I've never really hunted that much big ag land though. As far as food plots go, typically there are plenty of woods to set up in around it. I've never seen a bird that camped all day in a big green field, the way they sometimes do big ag fields or pastures.