I wouldn't say that tagging systems and telecheck systems have "worked" in other states. I'm sure hunters from other states lose tags and also fail to report kills. Some folks just are not going to do exactly what they are supposed to do.

As far as what data can be collected and its use, there is a lot of knowledge that can be gained from a dead deer. Granted much of that data the average Hunter may not be equipped or able to collect, like jawbone aging or carcass condition(deer health/fat). But even simple things like if the deer was a fawn(legal no spots), yearling, or adult can be useful in deer /resource management. When a calendar date and approximate location is associated with a kill you could get an idea of what season dates are most productive for hunters. Sharp declines in total harvest numbers of deer in certain areas could help with adjusting season dates and bag limits or could help identify areas that may have been hit with EHD. But again, Even more in depth data like age, weight, antler measurements and body condition would be great data to have, but I don't think hunters should be made to collect very in depth data, as the accuracy would vary and complicate harvest reporting too much.

This is not to say I'm for a telecheck system. However, I do think hunters should want to volunteer that information though, as it helps with conservation efforts and is a very simple way of helping.

Jon Bartlett