Originally Posted By: dirkdaddy
I've got some property that is almost all 14-15 year old thinned pines. The rows between the pines must be 10 yards wide if not more, easily accessible to a tractor. I notice that practically all of the greenery on the forest floor is eaten at this time of year and I was wondering, besides clearing logging roads for food plots, what could I do to improve the habitat?

Would bush hogging in between the pine lanes help the natural browse flourish? I have a heavy duty bush hog that can handle most of the crappy volunteer hardwoods that have popped up in between the rows too, would it help to take them out? I am afraid of eliminating the natural cover that has sprung up between the pines, but if I can increase the food amount by bush hogging I'll do it.

Another question I had was about the possible clearing of logging roads. Currently, the main skidder roads are grown up in sage grass, briars, and ragweed in the summer. Any benefit to clearing/bush hogging those roads for food plots or would the cover/browse offered by the grass and briars be more beneficial?

Any other suggestions for habitat improvement? Fire is not an option at this point.

Id start growing fruit tree's Peach tree's grow fast, also pear tree's!!