I've got some property that is almost all 14-15 year old thinned pines. The rows between the pines must be 10 yards wide if not more, easily accessible to a tractor. I notice that practically all of the greenery on the forest floor is eaten at this time of year and I was wondering, besides clearing logging roads for food plots, what could I do to improve the habitat?

Would bush hogging in between the pine lanes help the natural browse flourish? I have a heavy duty bush hog that can handle most of the crappy volunteer hardwoods that have popped up in between the rows too, would it help to take them out? I am afraid of eliminating the natural cover that has sprung up between the pines, but if I can increase the food amount by bush hogging I'll do it.

Another question I had was about the possible clearing of logging roads. Currently, the main skidder roads are grown up in sage grass, briars, and ragweed in the summer. Any benefit to clearing/bush hogging those roads for food plots or would the cover/browse offered by the grass and briars be more beneficial?

Any other suggestions for habitat improvement? Fire is not an option at this point.