Originally Posted By: josht101
Originally Posted By: BPS
My brother and I are tossing around the idea getting a trust on some suppressors for our rifles. I have to admit I'm a little confused on how this all works. Based on the previous post, I'm not going to be able to put a suppressor on a 270, shoot normal velocity ammo and expect ANY difference with the noise? Not sure if they even make sub sonic 270's because they are so fast. I guess the question is does it make any difference at all, sound wise, putting a suppressor on a high velocity rifle and shooting normal velocity rounds? Also lets say I find some sub sonic rounds for anything, how much velocity and energy do I lose? Not that I would ever take one but would I still be able to do major damage on an animal at 400-800yds?

You will still get a large decrease in sound over standard velocity rounds. They are still worth buying. If you want as close to Hollywood quiet as possible you will need either a 300blk or .308 to shoot heavy sub sonics. The 270 will shoot subsonics but your energy shooting subsonic comes from bullet weight since your velocity is limited to around 1050fps. With a 308/300 you can shoot up to a 240gr and have it stabilize. With a 270 it's hard to get over 150gr. Beauty of it is if you buy a 30 cal can you can shoot it on anything smaller including your 270.

So the way to go would be to get a 30cal suppressor so that I have the option to put it on dang near any hunting rifle or a 223? Do you lose anything putting a bigger bore suppressor on a smaller caliber? Just doing the physics in my head, I would think that a 30cal suppressor threaded on a 223 would allow some of the gasses controled by the suppressor to escape past the suppressor itself? I'm asking this because I do have a 30 caliber rifle but thats not what I intended to install it on. But I may change my mind in the future and wouldnt have to do anything but thread the barrel. Obviously I know very little about these things. grin

If your decoy doesnt have holes in it, your not letting him get close enough... J.H.

"Life lessons are almost never found where you think they should be, sometimes they're in the middle of a small, muddy creek in the woods with steep banks"... DeadorAlive