Folks, I got the news today that a true friend has passed.

We grew up together. We both had the love for the outdoors. We hunted and fished with each other often. Back when we were 16 we were fishing in his v hull aluminum boat and it was getting dark. He told me to crank the motor while he made one last cast. As soon as I pulled the handle the motor took off. We sunk that boat. I thought his dad was going to kill us.

I remember once he had been bow hunting for weeks as hard as anyone has ever hunted but he could never seal the deal. He took me to his club and 45 minutes later I had killed a very nice 6 point. He was pissed. To say he was competitive would be an understatement of the year.

The only time I've been in real trouble was with him. We were drinking under age at a bar in college when a cop saw us and arrested us. I'll never forget him flexing like hulk hogan in his mugshot. He was the life of that jail cell that 12 hours we had to stay... It's a night that I'll always hope my children will never hear of.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the first time he had been to jail. In fact he had a real problem. He wasn't the type that could drink a beer at supper. I'm convinced he was born an alcoholic. He had 3 DUI last I heard. It was his drinking that I had to seperate myself from him.

I last saw him the Christmas of 2011. He told me of his legal troubles then. He was likely going to be sentenced to prison although he said he wasn't going to go.

I hadn't talked to him since. I assumed he was in prison. I changed jobs and phones and lost his number. I was afraid to call his parents because it may upset them to say he was in prison. I've searched the phone book several times for him, looked on Facebook, even browsed court records but never found word of him. Today I found out that he took his life on January 27th, 2012. His parents didn't know how to contact me.

Im beyond embarrassed that it has been over 2 and a half years since he died and I didn't even know it, although deep down I realized it was a possibility. I'm mad at myself for not calling him more and following up with him. I knew he was in trouble. Ultimately, I don't know I could have done anything for him. He probably needed more help than I could have given him but I'm very upset that I wasn't there in his biggest time of need. He struggled greatly with alcohol, but deep down he was extremely smart, caring, and true friend.

Folks, pick up the phone and call your old friends. Schedule a hunt with them this year. You will never know when it will be your last chance.