I'll chime in.

A good friend of mine joined a club once. He was fairly new to hunting and was really gung-ho about scouting and doing his homework. Read alot about how to kill a big deer. Well he got invited to join an old established club on about 2500 acres east of Montgomery in some prime hunting area. The guys were older and mainly enjoyed sitting around the camp, drinking beer, smoking cigars, hunting close to camp for a couple of hours and calling it a day. They hadn't killed a mounter deer in about 5 years on this club in the heart of black belt.

Well my buddy gets after it. Finds some hot spots that no one has hunted in a long time. Hung a climber and kills an 8 point with a 20 inch spread the first morning he hunts it. Guys are pissed!

Well, he gets kinda shunned that night at the campfire so he just says to hell with it and goes to bed. He gets up the next morning and hunts another climber on another area and kills a helluva nice 10 point the next morning. The other members went nuts! I mean completely psycho! Cussing him for filth. It was bad...really bad.

Anyway, a few weeks later, he went back to hunt and killed ANOTHER great deer and that was it. They told him to pack his crap and he wasn't welcome back next year. He was fine with it. He killed 2 mounters and another buck he put on a plaque and called it a year.

We did go back that spring and we both killed 2 gobblers on the place. We left the breast feathers in the cabin door jam for 'em!

I also know a guy that has been kicked out of club for killing 3 gobblers in one season off a place when no one else could kill one. Was told he killed too many turkeys. Really??? But I'll leave that one alone. wink

Having said all this, nothing tops folks in MS/AR on public water hunting ducks. There have been many an ass whooping over a freaking mallard. Stupid folks out there.

Last edited by bamaeyedoc; 10/02/14 05:38 AM.

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR