Originally Posted By: muddyfeet
That's right big rack doesn't always equal great story. By the way that pic you sent has a story and it has me but especially my better half fired up about the corp land. I took off this week to finish everything up around here. Gotta work this weekend, but weekend we'll be down there looking around in the morning and doing some fishing that evening.

Here's how that one played out:

It was 2cd week of Jan and I had been bowhunting for a few days without much luck. There was also a gun hunt that weekend so I had my rifle with me as well. Since I was struggling to see deer, I left the bow and took my rifle to slip along slowly in an area I hadn't hunted before and stalk hunt while I looked for sign that I might would want to come back to. Although there was no one parked close to where I was, I ended up bumping into two people that had come in from different directions and were close to the area I was headed. At this point it was getting late and I was a little frustrated so I headed back towards the boat to just finish out the afternoon close to the river bank where I knew no one was. To this point I had covered a good bit of ground and saw very little sign, so my hopes weren't very high. Once I got back and made my way down the bank about 100 yds it started getting a lot thicker. Once I got inside the thicket it was like someone turned on a switch and I started seeing a good bit of sign. I eased in another 75 yds or so and came upon a shallow pond inside the thicket that was about 30 yds across and about 50 yds long. Being it was not but about 45 minutes of light left, I just found a big oak set against where I could see along both edges of the pond.

I had only been setting for about 15 minutes when I heard something tearing thru the thicket headed in my direction. It turned out to be a spike chasing a doe hard and they busted out of the thicket, went straight across the pond about 30 steps from me and entered the thicket on the other side. I would not have shot him anyway, but they were gone before I even had a chance to get my gun up. I remember laughing and thinking to myself "what if that had of been a 10 point". About that time I heard a stick break in the thicket from where they had come from and a good buck busted out of the thicket at a dead run following the path of the other 2. This time I was ready (I thought) and squeezed as soon as I got him in the scope. I was surprised that he didn't fall, but just kept on at a dead run. I then followed up with two more shots and apparently the aim wasn't any better. Finally I knew I had one shot left and put the crosshairs on his nose just before he entered the thicket on the other side. When I squeezed he cut a complete flip head first. The bullet had went thru the center of both shoulders.

It all seemed to happen in very slow motion and I still don't know how I got off 4 shots with a bolt action on a deer at a dead run within an area about 30 yds wide.