This may be a little long but need some help/reassurance! Ok, so I bought a New Breed Lycan bow back in the summer and have been practicing a lot and trying to finish prep for season. It is 27" draw, ~62 lb DW right now but prob going to 65 lbs over the next couple days. Trying to make it back to the bow shop to talk to them, but schedule has been prohibitive lately.

Anyway, when I went to Grabow to pick it up and get it set up, rests/sights/etc installed, and get arrows, they recommended the Gold Tip Velocity 400s for me and my set up. They cut them, installed the inserts, etc. Well fast forward to now, and I've been doing more reading and research on arrow weights and what not and am a little concerned about the weight of my arrows for hunting.

The Velocity XTs are 7.4 gpi and are ~26.5" long. I ran the GoldTip calculator as best I could and came up with just under 335 grains w/ FOC of a little under 15%. Today I also weighed them on a scale (food one in grams though and converted to grains) which came out to between 335-340 as well. I have run calculators to get my approx. arrow speed based on IBO and everything, and plug into the GoldTip KE calculator and come in right around 60 ft-lbs (+/- a little depending what I tweak). I tried playing with increasing arrow weight and speed, and without dramatic changes, it seems this 60 ft-kb KE is where I'll be.

So, I guess I just need to know if these arrows and broad head combo are going to be fine for me at distances of 30 yards or less. I know a lot of people seem to sling significantly heavier arrows, so all this reading has made me nervous. Should I switch to the standard slick tricks?

With this being my first year bow hunting, I just want to make sure I'm doing right by the animals I'm after. I feel like I'll be fine with this arrow and the ST Magnums, but just want some opinions

Thanks!

Last edited by UARandy3; 09/15/14 12:55 PM.