Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper
In fact, the rancher we were hunting on has a barn full of mule deer antlers and all were killed with a.243.

I don't own a smaller caliber so I'm not biased. I've had a.300 rum and it was a beast. ...... that kicked and cost $4 a round to shoot.

I never killed a deer more dead with it than any other rifle I own.

Smaller calibers loaded with the right bullet ate just as deadly on any angle as any other caliber.

That Berger blowed through both shoulders and jello the vitals. I was impressed.

There is nothing wrong with small or non-magnum calibers. I started off with a 257 Roberts, moved to a 270 win, then to a 300 Rum. and now a 264 win mag as my primary deer rifles, and have never had a trouble with not killing them; however my range and DRT shots have increased with the caliber I shoot. You can kill anything with any caliber under the right circumstances.

I prefer to carry a magnum as I feel it increases the circumstance under which I can make a kill. I spend a lot of money, and loose a lot of sleep every year to kill deer and want to be as effective as possible. $4/round ammo doesn't bother me, as that isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to everything else it takes to deer hunt.

To say that something isn't needed or overkill is comical to me, as I can't see where having more power is ever a hindrance.

Folks say it is macho or an expression of manliness to carry a magnum. I will counter that and say there are a lot of folks who shoot small calibers to drag about their marksmanship abilities smile

Edit: Oh yeah, and the guy I watched drop the 1,200 lb steer with the 22lr, had a freezer full of really good steaks rofl smile

Last edited by Fuzzy_Bunny; 08/14/14 03:19 PM.