Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
MS extended the season in only a few counties in the southeastern part of the state, which were biologically proven to have a later rut, extending into February. The season was extended to allow hunters the opportunity afforded by the rest of the state, to hunt the rut of course.

I can potentially see a couple of negatives. Neither of which I have ground to stand on right now. With last year's new regulations allowing primitive weapons on Novemebr 9 until the opening of regular gun season, and the extension into February I can argue the length of time guns are allowed could potentially over-exploit the buck segment of the population. And, south MS has a lower deer density and poorer habitat quality than the rest of the state. Combine those two together and I could see problems at some point.

The hunters sure haven't complained about it.

Since those deer along the state line have been biologically proven to have a late rut extending into February, and Alabama will have no part of such deer.

What provisions have been made to keep those late rutting Mississippi deer on your side of the state line?

Last edited by jlccoffee; 03/08/11 09:31 PM.