Thanks for the additional ideas, guys. 007, I've read that yellow nutsedge is somewhat resistant to gly, but I think you would have to get the dose just right. At a quart to the acre, it kills the chufas dead, or at least that has been my experience with it. I've got one field where I've had chufa so long that too many volunteers come up each year. This year, I plan to let it come up and then kill it with gly and start over with new seed. The problem with me experimenting with it is that I live too far from the farm. I usually get one chance to hit it with something post before the weeds are out of control.

Turfgrass, that sounds like a broadleaf combo that would work well, and I don't think it would hurt the chufas at those amounts. But I don't understand this:

>>>Also, if nutsedge could be controlled with 2,4-D amine or atrazine...it wouldn't be one of the world's worst weeds. I wish I could control it with 2,4-D or atrazine for $2.50/A. I've never seen any nutsedge control out of either.<<<

Several years ago, I had a small field that was just taken over by sicklepod. It laughed at the 2,4-DB, and it was obvious I wasn't gonna make anything. In desperation, I hit it with a quart of Weedmaster, a mix of 2,4-D and dicamba. It killed the sicklepod, but it also fried the chufas to a crisp. I'm not talking about damage, I'm talking dead, dead, dead.

Years ago my dad used 2,4-D on a big field and killed every chufa in it. After all the work we had done, it made me want to avoid herbicides completely and I tried for several years to grow them without herbicides. I had pretty good luck for a couple of years by planting in rows and plowing them 3 times, but eventually the sicklepod and crabgrass got so bad I had to go back to herbicides.

I know that some folks say yellow nutsedge and chufa are the same plant, but I wonder about that. I know a timber wolf and a poodle are the same species, but they sure look different to me, and chufas sure look different from what I've always called nutgrass. Could it be that chufa is actually much less tolerant of certain herbicides than its wild brethren? I don't know anything else to explain our different experience.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.