>>>Need a little more info. You having a grass or broadleaf problem? You wanting to spray pre-emergent or post?<<<

You gotta spray pre and post if you want to make anything in these fields; 190 years of cultivation means there is a seed bank that includes every weed in central AL. I find something that controls one, and a new one takes over. And we've been growing chufa in these fields since the late 60s; try to rotate the fields, but I don't have enough good chufa land for rotation to be a real solution.

Turfgrass, those are good recommendations, and I've tried every herbicide you've listed except atrazine. My experience is that regular 2,4-D will kill the chufas dead, even at a low dosage. 2,4-DB is safe for the chufa, but it does a very poor job of controlling sicklepod, which is my worst weed of all.

I've gotten poor results from both Treflan and Prowl, and Aim will control carpetweed only by repeat applications. The best overall control I've gotten was with Command. I've used it as the pre for the last 2 years and made a bumper crop in 09. I had almost a total failure last year due to the drought, but I didn't help them any by mixing Cotoran with the Command to try to control the sicklepod. The chufas were damaged pretty bad by the Cotoran, though I still would have made a good crop if it had rained.

Atrazine would probably do a good job with the sicklepod, but it is listed as controlling yellow nutsedge too, which means it will kill chufa. Have you ever used it on chufa? I had a chemical co rep to tell me to try Atrazine, but he admitted he had never actually done it himself. I'd be very interested in hearing about the results if anyone has used it. I'd also be very interested in hearing about anyone who successfully used 2,4-D without damage to the chufas.

Unless somebody can give me a better plan, I'm gonna use Command again as the pre and follow up with repeat applications of 2,4-DB post. I may add Prowl to the Command to try to control the carpetweed. This combo will not produce a weed-free field, but it will make a crop better than anything else I've tried.

Many thanks for any help.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.