</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Marucci cat x connect bbcor 32/29 school bat
by toyota05. 04/29/24 11:40 AM
Decorative Duck Decoys, collectables
by Rem870s2. 04/29/24 11:31 AM
Saltwater fishing gear
by Rem870s2. 04/29/24 11:08 AM
Mission SUB 1 XR Trade or Sale
by AL18. 04/28/24 10:36 AM
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Velvet
by James. 04/29/24 08:31 AM
Forever wild gun regs.
by N2TRKYS. 04/28/24 01:25 PM
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (btfl, goodman_hunter, jdhunter2011, CAL, Bowfish, PineTop, Coosa1, buzzard, JD_Bowhunter1976, JKlep, WINMAG300, 7PTSPREAD, Buckwheat, BCLC, turfarmer, trlrdrdave, outdoorguy88, AKB, Kang, XVIII, hamma, Ar-Humter, beeline08, Okatuppa, jb20, desertdog, metalmuncher, bug54, cullbuck, leroyb, slanddeerhunter, bigfoot15, chill, Lockjaw, Showout, fireman176, Strictlybow, Bmyers142, Buckshot77, Bamajoz, Driveby, shootnmiss, HBWALKER14, Rem870s2, Tree Dweller, brianr, trailmix, cdaddy14, William, Sgiles, donia, Mansfield, Dean, ColeT, Morris, Cabmlor4, auwild, DGAMBLER, EricS, Stacey, Ol’Tom, AustinC, AUjerbear, Rockstar007, Jweeks, hallb, AU338MAG, okfuski, hunterturf, 3Gs, doghouse, Mbrock, CarbonClimber1, abolt300, Fleahopmayor, The Big Cheese, jawbone, ken1970, click-boom, CNC, Oscarflytyer, GomerPyle, MCbama, UARandy3, Jtide, Moose24, JohnnyLoco, fillmore, TwentySeven, rutwad, salock, JCL, TexasHuntress, SC53, AL18, Ray_Coon, BrentsFX4, 3bailey3, Red Fox, bamaeyedoc, PanolaProductions, toyota05, crenshawco, graydw1, fur_n_feathers, Alb, Fedex 1, hunter84, hoggin, Spec, Justice, sj22, AUSKEETER, Dekalb123, CeeHawk37, robinhedd, MAG, AJones, WPZJR, Andalusia, foldemup, Bustinbeards, 7 invisible), 1,237 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: coyote rant [Re: daniel white] #952033
05/05/14 04:10 PM
05/05/14 04:10 PM
north alabama
shooters Offline
12 point
shooters  Offline
12 point
north alabama
Originally Posted By: daniel white

Originally Posted By: CNC
Do you guys really believe that intense predator trapping is a feasible long term solution to controlling coyotes? How many landowners will spend the money? How many landowners will spend the time? How many landowners will continue to intensely trap for periods of 5-10 years? How much of an impact will it really have over the next decade or half century? Have we slowed them down yet? This is not a realistic solution that you should tell the general land owner as a means to deal with coyotes.

What you are advising land owners to do is to greatly reduce predator populations and hold prey populations at a much higher rate than the habitat is naturally supporting. Opening up social holes in the coyote population on a property and greatly increasing the prey species will insure that surrounding coyotes will just flock to fill these social holes in the land of milk and honey. With prey species amped up beyond normal conditions, it even opens the door for more coyotes to come back in than you originally had.

The best long term solution is to accept the predator and prey cycle and manage to keep things in balance by curtailing predator impacts rather than thinking you can eliminate them. The best long term solution to curtailing the impacts of predators is through establishing proper habitat and limiting doe harvest.

I think people like me and you can agree to disagree and move on, but you wont get ahead or anywhere arguing with "Shooters". Just throwing that out there. Now this is my opinion no facts to back it.. smile
You just dont agree with me cause i dont like dog deer hunting! rofl I hate coyotes, and disagree with anyone that has CNC veiws of do nothing and accept it!

Re: coyote rant [Re: CNC] #952145
05/05/14 06:17 PM
05/05/14 06:17 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Do you guys really believe that intense predator trapping is a feasible long term solution to controlling coyotes? How many landowners will spend the money? How many landowners will spend the time? How many landowners will continue to intensely trap for periods of 5-10 years? How much of an impact will it really have over the next decade or half century? Have we slowed them down yet? This is not a realistic solution that you should tell the general land owner as a means to deal with coyotes.

What you are advising land owners to do is to greatly reduce predator populations and hold prey populations at a much higher rate than the habitat is naturally supporting. Opening up social holes in the coyote population on a property and greatly increasing the prey species will insure that surrounding coyotes will just flock to fill these social holes in the land of milk and honey. With prey species amped up beyond normal conditions, it even opens the door for more coyotes to come back in than you originally had.

The best long term solution is to accept the predator and prey cycle and manage to keep things in balance by curtailing predator impacts rather than thinking you can eliminate them. The best long term solution to curtailing the impacts of predators is through establishing proper habitat and limiting doe harvest.

so what you are saying i should kill less so the coyotes can get fat ??? BS !!!!

your thinking is wrong , your saying if i take out x amount of coyotes their food source will increase and allow more coyotes . the damn things are getting all they need now and a surplus so increasing the food source aint gonna change a thing at this point . if the food sources were low you might be right .

your way of thinking helps the coyotes and hurts the hunter. a few doe days a year might be ok with you but not with me , been there done that .

as said before a dead coyote don't eat and it don't make more , simple as that .

Re: coyote rant [Re: Frankie] #952247
05/06/14 03:11 AM
05/06/14 03:11 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted By: Frankie

your thinking is wrong , your saying if i take out x amount of coyotes their food source will increase and allow more coyotes .

Frankie…..Below is a graph illustrating the relationship between predator and prey and is often used in teaching population dynamics. Looking at the graph….What happens to the predator population when the prey population increases?

We dont rent pigs
Re: coyote rant [Re: Frankie] #952335
05/06/14 04:49 AM
05/06/14 04:49 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
problem is your graph is comparing snowshoe hares to lynx. Hares are cyclic....deer ain't.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: coyote rant [Re: BhamFred] #952341
05/06/14 04:57 AM
05/06/14 04:57 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted By: BhamFred
problem is your graph is comparing snowshoe hares to lynx. Hares are cyclic....deer ain't.

I don't see your point Troy. All I'm trying to show is that predator and prey populations are directly tied to one another. As far as coyote populations go around here, we are really concentrating more on the amount of small game present representing our prey species than we are deer anyways.....as far as speaking to what supports the majority of their population.

Last edited by CNC; 05/06/14 05:05 AM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: coyote rant [Re: Frankie] #952342
05/06/14 04:59 AM
05/06/14 04:59 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
While we’re looking at the graph, look at one more thing. Notice in the places where the prey populations peak out at their highest levels. What happens immediately following all of those big spikes in prey populations? The population crashes, right? So you are going to pay someone $100 per coyote (or predator in general) to try and get rid of them and then you pay them another $100 each to try and fight off the hoard that keeps coming in to fill the void forever? Really? Look at it this way, if we have prey populations peaked out then you can rest assured that the predator line on the graph is constantly trying to climb steeply upwards. What happens on the day you get tired of paying $100 per predator? Does the outcome look good for your prey population after that?

Last edited by CNC; 05/06/14 05:00 AM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: coyote rant [Re: CNC] #952348
05/06/14 05:08 AM
05/06/14 05:08 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
Originally Posted By: BhamFred

I don't see your point Troy. All I'm trying to show is that predator and prey populations are directly tied to one another. As far as coyote populations go around here, we are really concentrating more on the amount of small game present representing our prey species than we are deer anyways.

my point is that a graph of coyote vs deer wouldn't look anything like that. Deer ain't cyclic, unless yer counting lows in the 20s to highs in the 60s till now. Yotes have done nothing but increase.

a 1960 to present graph would show a yote line rising steeply to the right(expanding numbers) with no relation to the deer population.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: coyote rant [Re: BhamFred] #952357
05/06/14 05:28 AM
05/06/14 05:28 AM
north alabama
shooters Offline
12 point
shooters  Offline
12 point
north alabama
Frankie, BhamFred, you guys are correct. CNC doesnt know what he is talking about, he is only using graphs to show his point of view. CNC has no real time Expereince in trapping. The 100 dollars a coyote is on the high end, but considering that gasoline is 3.60 a gallon and it getting to be hot weather is not always that bad of a deal. Many states like Utah have a 50 dollar bounty on coyotes. Alabama cattlemens association , members in some countys have 20-25 dollar bountys. Just because CNC thinks 100 dollars is unreasonable doent mean its the wrong thing to do. As i said before their are many other options. You can talk to a Gamewarden, biologist, DNRC, or forester and someone will beable to get you a good professional trapper. I think Charlie or someone on here was talking about a county= DNCR trapping work shop. Point is why give up, unless CNC is a PETA lover of coyotes? You can get lots of professional trappers to swap hunting rights for coyote trapping! 100 dollars is just a high end number i put out there, but if i have to drive 100 miles to check traps its not unrealistic. As i have said before some trapper charge a set-up fee or 150-250 dollars, i just work out a flat rate= per coyote. You dont listen to CNC and PETA. Dont listen to them because they would have you pull - a skirt up over your head and do nothing!

Re: coyote rant [Re: Frankie] #952359
05/06/14 05:29 AM
05/06/14 05:29 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
No offense meant Troy but I just don’t see how what you’re saying has any bearing on the point I’m trying to make. I’m talking about site specific management of predators going into the future……not a broad landscape look at coyote expansion in the past. I’m not trying to show an actual graph of coyote and deer but rather one that illustrates a basic principle. While coyotes have definitely spread over the last few decades filling up the landscape….their site specific populations can never grow any larger than the number of prey present to support the population. Look at the graph again. There can be no more lynx than there is snow shoe hare to support them. Same with us and yotes. There can be no more coyotes in a site specific area than there is rabbits, mice, etc… to support the populations. Predator and prey populations are directly tied to each other

We dont rent pigs
Re: coyote rant [Re: shooters] #952363
05/06/14 05:33 AM
05/06/14 05:33 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted By: shooters
CNC doesnt know what he is talking about, he is only using graphs to show his point of view.

Yeah don't pay attention to him....he's using graphs and facts. laugh

We dont rent pigs
Re: coyote rant [Re: CNC] #952371
05/06/14 05:48 AM
05/06/14 05:48 AM
north alabama
shooters Offline
12 point
shooters  Offline
12 point
north alabama
YOU have no idea what you are talking about, thats the asd part!! You have heard from BhamFred= gamewarden/ Nighthunter= Biologist and several ohers in the know, but you have you might Graphs and Charts! Can you not see the difference in SCDNC studies and the real world? Their are millions of dollars spent on coyotes studies every year. More money is spent on coyote reserch than an other species. Grant Woods and someone from QDMA did a study in georgia on trapping, the results were much more favoratible than the bleck ones that CNC has show on here. Also studies in Utah and Texas show great results from trapping. The FDA has spent millions on coyote resarch and pamplets that show how people can controll coyotes. Many, Many, mant states have government trappers= do you think that they are wasteing their time? CNC has no real world experience in predator controll, he simply uses charts . What you must understand about this is every location =state has different results, so a SCDNC study may not apply to YOUR situation or land! The we cant do anything about it attitude makes me sick! I think CNC is a coyote loving PETA member! I do not disagree about the prey= to predator relation ship. I dp disagree on the YOU cant do anything about it bullcrap!

Re: coyote rant [Re: Frankie] #952387
05/06/14 06:06 AM
05/06/14 06:06 AM
NBama
mr.clif Offline
6 point
mr.clif  Offline
6 point
NBama
CNC I understand what your trying to say. Take the Sipsey Wilderness Area within the Bankhead National Forest for instance probaly the lowest deer density I've hunted and I can count on one hand the coyotes I've seen there. But I think predator control is a nessary form of wildlife managment when your trying to make your property the best it can be. We cant all afford the services like shooter and others provide but I'm glad theyre there to teach others and keep doing what theyre doing.

Re: coyote rant [Re: mr.clif] #952402
05/06/14 06:27 AM
05/06/14 06:27 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted By: mr.clif
CNC I understand what your trying to say. Take the Sipsey Wilderness Area within the Bankhead National Forest for instance probaly the lowest deer density I've hunted and I can count on one hand the coyotes I've seen there. But I think predator control is a nessary form of wildlife managment when your trying to make your property the best it can be. We cant all afford the services like shooter and others provide but I'm glad theyre there to teach others and keep doing what theyre doing.

IMO….The difference is in the idea of what is the best our property can be or should be. The idea that is being presented here is selling false hopes long term and is only a short term, very costly means of trying to change things. The moment trapping is stopped, any past gains are completely lost if there is no change in the habitat. The best thing you can do is to manage for a balance between predator, prey, and habitat. If you want more wildlife then the best long term return on your investment comes in the form of habitat improvements. The habitat is the driver for the whole cycle. Increase the productivity of the habitat and you increase the ability to hold more wildlife. Trying to push specific game populations past the natural carrying capacity of the land through intense predator removal is not money well spent for most general purposes.

Last edited by CNC; 05/06/14 06:28 AM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: coyote rant [Re: CNC] #952430
05/06/14 07:11 AM
05/06/14 07:11 AM
north alabama
shooters Offline
12 point
shooters  Offline
12 point
north alabama
BULL CRAP!!! The minute you stop trapping coyotes dont run from 20 miles away to come to your property. CNC is trying to twist the facts to make it sound like ONLY habitat munipulation is the only way to go! I agree you need to do both. But everyone is trying to get more deer. So if you want to increase the carrying capacity you must have a predator management plan. You = CNC = have no idea about deer management/coyote removal as a process. You only have what you have read. Here is the problem. Every manager of deer from alabama to texas wants more, thropy deer! High end clubs and pay for hunt have been doing predator management for years. It works but the price is often past on to the customer. Now in alabama= texas style management is being applied to the coyote problem. Texas= as an example has lots of supplimental feeding, so the habitat and carring capacity must be elevated, along with proper coyote control. CNC is making out like trapping is absolutely worthless. You must keep trapping, just like you must keep planting summer and winter plots. Most game managers realize that trapping is just another tool to be used to ELEVATE the hunting game. So you can do like CNC says and JUST improve the habitat and have a normal deer heard, or you can inprove the habitat and do predator control and really see good sized deer numbers increase. So what do yall want? Do nothing and have the same low deer numbers or get busy trapping and have better deer hunting? I think CNC is anti-trapping for some reason. I dont know why. Trapping works but must be done every year just like planting foodplots. Dont give up!! Trap, shoot,and kill every coyote you see!!!

Last edited by shooters; 05/06/14 07:12 AM.
Re: coyote rant [Re: CNC] #952447
05/06/14 07:39 AM
05/06/14 07:39 AM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
CNC doesnt know what he is talking about, he is only using graphs to show his point of view.

Yeah don't pay attention to him....he's using graphs and facts. laugh

and what i'm saying is i don't want the coyotes eating the deer . why should i let coyotes walk when wolves don't . why do wolves kill them , so they have more food (game) . i want to decide what the deer population is not the coyotes .

another point why are you separating hunters (man) from nature . the way you want to do it the hunters get the left overs . last i checked we are top predator in nature .

Last edited by Frankie; 05/06/14 07:40 AM.
Re: coyote rant [Re: Frankie] #952448
05/06/14 07:42 AM
05/06/14 07:42 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
You can also use the graph to help understand the first point that I was trying to make about trapping causing the remaining coyotes to become more prolific producers of pups. When you remove a large amount of predators and allow the prey populations to reach those high peaks like on the graph, then the remaining predators are surrounded by a surplus of food. When predators hunt, their success rates are directly tied to the amount of prey present and the amount of competition for that prey. The number of pups that female coyote produces is tied to her prenatal health. Plenty of food equals plenty of pups.

There are two reasons why the predator population lines go up so steeply when prey populations are peaked out……Increase in immigration of new predators filling the void and increased fertility rates. Your $100 bills are paying to increase both.

We dont rent pigs
Re: coyote rant [Re: shooters] #952450
05/06/14 07:44 AM
05/06/14 07:44 AM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
BULL CRAP!!! The minute you stop trapping coyotes dont run from 20 miles away to come to your property. CNC is trying to twist the facts to make it sound like ONLY habitat munipulation is the only way to go! I agree you need to do both. But everyone is trying to get more deer. So if you want to increase the carrying capacity you must have a predator management plan. You = CNC = have no idea about deer management/coyote removal as a process. You only have what you have read. Here is the problem. Every manager of deer from alabama to texas wants more, thropy deer! High end clubs and pay for hunt have been doing predator management for years. It works but the price is often past on to the customer. Now in alabama= texas style management is being applied to the coyote problem. Texas= as an example has lots of supplimental feeding, so the habitat and carring capacity must be elevated, along with proper coyote control. CNC is making out like trapping is absolutely worthless. You must keep trapping, just like you must keep planting summer and winter plots. Most game managers realize that trapping is just another tool to be used to ELEVATE the hunting game. So you can do like CNC says and JUST improve the habitat and have a normal deer heard, or you can inprove the habitat and do predator control and really see good sized deer numbers increase. So what do yall want? Do nothing and have the same low deer numbers or get busy trapping and have better deer hunting? I think CNC is anti-trapping for some reason. I dont know why. Trapping works but must be done every year just like planting foodplots. Dont give up!! Trap, shoot,and kill every coyote you see!!!

yep !!!!!

Re: coyote rant [Re: CNC] #952463
05/06/14 08:04 AM
05/06/14 08:04 AM
north alabama
shooters Offline
12 point
shooters  Offline
12 point
north alabama
CNC are you high on CRACK???? Professional ADC coyote trappers know when, what time of year to take -out the alfa/ and beta females!!!! You said trapping causes the remain coyotes to become prolific breeders of pups?? You must be HIGH ON CRACK!!! You know nothing about coyote trapping! Only the alpha and sometimes in large packs the beta female are ALLOWED to breed. This means a smart PRO trapper can come in and trap the female with pups and make a significant diffence in the coyote/pup equation. You are correct on somethings but YOUR lack of how valueable trapping is makes me mad as HELL!!! Im not talking about Billy -Bob wantabbee trapper. Im talking about someone that KNOWS that coyotes breed in febuary. Someone that knows about a 63 day gestration period for female coyotes. Im talking about someone that knows that ONLY the alpha and sometimes beta females breed and how to set traps accordingly to target those females. Mark June a great trapper and biologist has wrote books and done reseach on this topic if anyone wants to see for themselves how WRONG CNC really is!To say that trapping does no good is dumb! Coyotes dont breed like rabbits! Read about the alpha/beta female coyote anywhere on the internet an you will see how dumb CNC statement trully is!

Re: coyote rant [Re: Frankie] #952468
05/06/14 08:17 AM
05/06/14 08:17 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
One of the places where we have gotten ourselves in trouble with our past coyote management practices over the last couple decades is through too much wide spread doe shooting. I think the state did a good thing this year by reducing doe harvests back to one per day. Realizing that we need to ease up on shooting does will help alleviate some of the impact we see from coyotes.

At the current time, one of the situations where predator trapping does make sense on a short term basis are in areas where the liberal doe harvesting of the past by hunters combined with the impacts of predators have driven the additive mortality rates to such a point that deer herds may need some help recovering. In this situation, greatly limiting doe harvests and intense predator trapping for 1-3 years does have its place. However, once deer populations have recovered and stabilize, then the long term use of intense trapping efforts are not needed. Populations can be managed from that point through informed doe management and habitat enhancements.

We dont rent pigs
Re: coyote rant [Re: CNC] #952479
05/06/14 08:32 AM
05/06/14 08:32 AM
north alabama
shooters Offline
12 point
shooters  Offline
12 point
north alabama
yes, i can agree with most of that . Their are place where we need to ease up on doe shooting. But if you are going to trap for 1-3 years why stop? Why not learn to trap then just keep doing it? Would you stop planting food plots? Wouild you say O i have enough deer know i will stop trapping and stop planting spring and summer plots? Doe management and habitat enhancements are great, but why not keep trapping as part of your overall management plan? The truth is we ALL want more! More money, more deer,more guns,and more land to grow bigger deer. Can anyone own here say their isnt something they dont want more of? People want more= better deer hunting. So why not include trapping into your deer management program? Does anyone on here really want less deer?

Last edited by shooters; 05/06/14 08:32 AM.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.