</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso box blade
by kntree. 04/25/24 11:31 PM
Leupold vx freedom
by twaldrop4. 04/25/24 09:50 PM
WTB/WTTF Browning MK3 DBM 308
by Sendero558. 04/25/24 07:29 PM
1999 Scout 162 with Yamaha 90 2 stroke
by billrv. 04/25/24 07:02 PM
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (handihunter, NoHuntin, Johnal3, Captain Howdy, 4Tigers, BeakBuster1500, lalongbeard, mathews prostaff, Claims Rep., NWFJ, sevenup, BAR1225, johnv, Livintohunt19, Cactus_buck, Narrow Gap, rst87, Dixiepatriot, jhardy, 1 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: ikillbux] #849550
02/05/14 08:49 AM
02/05/14 08:49 AM
Ramer
ronfromramer Offline
10 point
ronfromramer  Offline
10 point
Ramer
Originally Posted By: ikillbux
roscopee said it above, if you can't kill a buck in 3 1/2 months, maybe needing to hunt during the rut isn't the real problem. I am 40 years old, have hunted my whole life, and have hunted in Lowndes, Lee, Chambers, Macon, Tallapoosa, Talladega, Calhoun, and Cleburne counties. I have seen deer chasing in October, Nov, Dec, and Jan. I have hunted multiple seasons in a row without seeing even a spike walking behind a doe. And I have killed at least one good buck virtually ever year. I couldn't care less if I see a buck chasing a doe or not, and I don't need that to happen for me to see a mature buck. My point is I (nor you) need the rut to happen in order to kill a mature buck. Every time a hunter tells me "I never see mature bucks until the last week of January" (or February, or Spring Turkey Season), I immediately want him to show me where he's been sitting. If that's your case, the problem is NOT needing the rut to occur, but rather you need to move where you can see a big buck. Get out of the shooting house, get off the fields, don't ride you ATV within earshot of your tree, be in the tree WAY before daylight, sit till WAY after dark, quit hunting in that "pretty spot" where you want deer to be, and on and on and on. Big bucks are in the cutovers from Thanksgiving through January, period. If you don't have cutovers, find a new club that does, because you got jacksquat chance of seeing a big buck in any other place. But quit screwing up a 3 1/2 month long hunting season because you've bought into the "Outdoor Channel" hunting worldview. If you have racked deer on your cameras at night, they are there in the light!!! And they don't lay flat all day long, they're not in a cave, they will actually stand up and move during daylight SOMEWHERE on your land. If your land is thick, all short pines, etc., find another land!!!! Quit being a "hunting club" member. Put the climber on your back, walk as far as you need to, don't be stupid with the wind, and hunt where the bucks are, not just on the big pretty greenfield that he is NEVER gonna walk out on. In the last 20 seasons I have killed more mounter bucks from Oct 15 - Oct 31 than all the rest of the season combined. And I have NEVER hunted anywhere that a genuine rut didn't occur between Christmas and Jan 10. Deer are poly-estrous, meaning they'll cycle every 28 days till bred. The rut will get stronger each cycle because fewer does are remaining. First rut will be weak, 2nd rut stronger, etc. What you're seeing from Jan 25 thru Feb 10 is the stronger 2nd cycle. The first true Alabama rut happened between Christmas and Jan 10. You may not have seen it, but those scrapes didn't show up mid-December for nothing. But I guess you were expecting every racked deer on your land to be wide-eyed and fighting, standing in the powerline with a doe, and otherwise acting like the Outdoor Channel shows?? It's Alabama, it's just the genetic dispostion of our deer, and the overall poor deer structure. You can't depend on a defined, dependable rut. If Bama's season ran from June 1 through Sept 15 (3.5 months) I'd still kill deer. I reckon I sound like a know-it-all, but it's just common sense. If you had to kill a buck to eat (or you'd starve to death), how would you do it???....men, you've got 3 1/2 months to kill 3 bucks. Don't piss it all away hoping (against hope) that they'll finally walk the last day of season. And don't take my October away because you want an Outdoor Channel rut-hunt in February. I killed three good racked bucks this year...you want to know when I killed them? Nov 29, Dec 11, Jan 7. I also shot a buck and lost him on Dec 7. And I probably saw at least 10 racked bucks this year. Not a single one of them was chasing a doe. The common denominator?....Hardwoods in bow season, cutover in gun season.

I saw 25-30 "racked bucks" but that doesn't mean I wanted to shoot them. I didn't kill a buck this year or last year, but I did pass up 3 130 class bucks last year. 3 years ago I killed a 135" and a 148" buck. It's all relative. I'm not killing a buck if it ain't going on the wall. That's just me.

Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: teamduckdown] #849568
02/05/14 09:09 AM
02/05/14 09:09 AM
Gurley, Alabama
S
Standbanger Offline
12 point
Standbanger  Offline
12 point
S
Gurley, Alabama
there are times I would like to see the season extended but don't want to see every deer killed either, deer need their time to recover

Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: teamduckdown] #849608
02/05/14 09:40 AM
02/05/14 09:40 AM
Alabama Wetumpka
Talltines Offline
on probation
Talltines  Offline
on probation
Alabama Wetumpka
As far as people arguing over no bow or just a gun season thats a stupid argument just because you don't bow hunt don't hate on the ones that do. And its to dang hot down here to bow hunt any earlier than October.

As for the Rut this state has a wide variety when it comes to the dates that the deer rut. Central Alabama is usually mid to late January to march. And then you go all the way up north and it is Thanksgiving. Well most states are cut into zones. And it looks like the DCNR is tring to do this to our state when they extended into February for some of the Southern counties. Yes maybe the line should come up into Lowndes and Montgomery and follow the Black belt because I have seen deer chasing during Turkey season before that is usual down here. It seems to move later some years and then normal other years as far as January goes. Dosent need to stop at 80 tho needs to include all of Lowndes and Dallas county.

Maybe they should start the north off with Bow starting in The end of September and gun starting it the end of October ending at the end of December or middle of January. Don't know a lot about your rut up there so won't go into it.

And mid state keep somewhere around the normal season.

Start our bow season in central and south in October maybe a week later or even November. Gun starts Thanksgiving runs thru Feb. 15 and if you want it farther Do bow and Muzzle loader only after the 15 till the end of February.

Just a thought on the season's. Deer are weird we can have 2 slow season's and then bam the next 3 are wide open. Its still nature and just like women I'm sure I'll spend the rest of my life trying to figure them out.

Hunting Is my Obsession, My Passion, My Everything, Oh so is my wife.
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: wareagle22] #849618
02/05/14 09:47 AM
02/05/14 09:47 AM
Montgomery
bamaeyedoc Offline
Old Mossy Horns
bamaeyedoc  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Montgomery
Originally Posted By: wareagle22
GW told us last week the push is to get it to Hwy 80 and I-85 and include everything south of these 2 roads.

Sweet! My land lies within that area.

Dr. B

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR

Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: ikillbux] #849627
02/05/14 09:56 AM
02/05/14 09:56 AM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
I'll upload pics of those three when I get home this evening, for whatever reason my work laptop won't do it. And I know my long rant above sounds awful, but I just get frustrated about the whole "we're missing the rut" issue. I get no more excited when I see a buck chasing a doe than I do when it's a crisp and calm December morning and hear limbs breaking in a cutover, then you see the horns, and ultimately get a shot!!! Woooo! I just don't understand the need to "hunt during the rut", unless the reason is that this hunter isn't seeing bucks otherwise. Am I off base on this? If I shoot a mature buck, it's exciting regardless of HOW it happened. So the logical deduction is some folks aren't SEEING bucks unless they are "rutting". My perception of the issue is that it's about not SEEING bucks at your land unless they're rutting. So I don't feel unjustified by casting a curious eye at a hunter who can't see a buck in the 3 1/2 months we already have. I've said this: If you just want to move the entire hunting season, then no problem. Let's make it Jan 1 till March 14th. But it's absurd to ask for "10 more days" so we can experience the rut. What is this romanticized idea about the rut that I don't get?

I can only speak for myself, but yes, I do like seeing bucks chasing does. I kill most of my bucks before the rut, also. I've killed turkeys that came in silently, but rather have them acting a fool, strutting and gobbling.

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: ikillbux] #849695
02/05/14 10:53 AM
02/05/14 10:53 AM
Over yonder
E
extreme heights hunter Offline
Booner
extreme heights hunter  Offline
Booner
E
Over yonder
roscopee said it above, if you can't kill a buck in 3 1/2 months, maybe needing to hunt during the rut isn't the real problem. I am 40 years old, have hunted my whole life, and have hunted in Lowndes, Lee, Chambers, Macon, Tallapoosa, Talladega, Calhoun, and Cleburne counties. I have seen deer chasing in October, Nov, Dec, and Jan. I have hunted multiple seasons in a row without seeing even a spike walking behind a doe. And I have killed at least one good buck virtually ever year. I couldn't care less if I see a buck chasing a doe or not, and I don't need that to happen for me to see a mature buck. My point is I (nor you) need the rut to happen in order to kill a mature buck. Every time a hunter tells me "I never see mature bucks until the last week of January" (or February, or Spring Turkey Season), I immediately want him to show me where he's been sitting. If that's your case, the problem is NOT needing the rut to occur, but rather you need to move where you can see a big buck. Get out of the shooting house, get off the fields, don't ride you ATV within earshot of your tree, be in the tree WAY before daylight, sit till WAY after dark, quit hunting in that "pretty spot" where you want deer to be, and on and on and on. Big bucks are in the cutovers from Thanksgiving through January, period. If you don't have cutovers, find a new club that does, because you got jacksquat chance of seeing a big buck in any other place. But quit screwing up a 3 1/2 month long hunting season because you've bought into the "Outdoor Channel" hunting worldview. If you have racked deer on your cameras at night, they are there in the light!!! And they don't lay flat all day long, they're not in a cave, they will actually stand up and move during daylight SOMEWHERE on your land. If your land is thick, all short pines, etc., find another land!!!! Quit being a "hunting club" member. Put the climber on your back, walk as far as you need to, don't be stupid with the wind, and hunt where the bucks are, not just on the big pretty greenfield that he is NEVER gonna walk out on. In the last 20 seasons I have killed more mounter bucks from Oct 15 - Oct 31 than all the rest of the season combined. And I have NEVER hunted anywhere that a genuine rut didn't occur between Christmas and Jan 10. Deer are poly-estrous, meaning they'll cycle every 28 days till bred. The rut will get stronger each cycle because fewer does are remaining. First rut will be weak, 2nd rut stronger, etc. What you're seeing from Jan 25 thru Feb 10 is the stronger 2nd cycle. The first true Alabama rut happened between Christmas and Jan 10. You may not have seen it, but those scrapes didn't show up mid-December for nothing. But I guess you were expecting every racked deer on your land to be wide-eyed and fighting, standing in the powerline with a doe, and otherwise acting like the Outdoor Channel shows?? It's Alabama, it's just the genetic dispostion of our deer, and the overall poor deer structure. You can't depend on a defined, dependable rut. If Bama's season ran from June 1 through Sept 15 (3.5 months) I'd still kill deer. I reckon I sound like a know-it-all, but it's just common sense. If you had to kill a buck to eat (or you'd starve to death), how would you do it???....men, you've got 3 1/2 months to kill 3 bucks. Don't piss it all away hoping (against hope) that they'll finally walk the last day of season. And don't take my October away because you want an Outdoor Channel rut-hunt in February. I killed three good racked bucks this year...you want to know when I killed them? Nov 29, Dec 11, Jan 7. I also shot a buck and lost him on Dec 7. And I probably saw at least 10 racked bucks this year. Not a single one of them was chasing a doe. The common denominator?....Hardwoods in bow season, cutover in gun season.

It's clear to me that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground and you are full of more shucks than a Christmas turkey. Come on down to south Alabama and hunt for a few seasons and you will change your line of thinking.

Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: ikillbux] #849714
02/05/14 11:06 AM
02/05/14 11:06 AM
Cherokee Co. Al.
B
bgarrett Offline
8 point
bgarrett  Offline
8 point
B
Cherokee Co. Al.
Nice bucks ..bux OPPS....what happened.....Busted all by himself popcorn

Last edited by bgarrett; 02/05/14 08:40 PM.

It's not a Passion, it's an Obsession. That's what I tell my wife, but she promptly informs it's a disease to which is incurable.
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: ikillbux] #849741
02/05/14 11:21 AM
02/05/14 11:21 AM
Spanish Fort
teamduckdown Offline OP
10 point
teamduckdown  Offline OP
10 point
Spanish Fort

You're about an idiot. What about people who hunt public land or high pressure land or their own farm and cant afford a "new club"? If what you do works for you that's great. But I see you have never hunted south Alabama. So you dont have any first hand experience with it.

I dont know a single hunter personally who doesn't feel his best chance to harvest a mature buck is during the rut.

Nice way of welcoming yourself to the forum.

Turkeys be damned.
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: teamduckdown] #849774
02/05/14 11:43 AM
02/05/14 11:43 AM
Moss Creek
Gotcha1 Offline
Bright Eyes
Gotcha1  Offline
Bright Eyes
Moss Creek
Dam, would have been some good'uns in a couple of years.

Matt Brock wears knock-off Crocs.
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: teamduckdown] #849813
02/05/14 12:08 PM
02/05/14 12:08 PM
Opelika, AL
AU_trout_bum Offline
8 point
AU_trout_bum  Offline
8 point
Opelika, AL
I'm not sure why the extension cut off right at Geneva County. What we've seen for years is a late rut (early to mid Feb). However, it seems little data is collected there, so that might be the issue. It's not like the deer know where the county line is, though. If it was so in Covington Co, there's a good chance it's also the case in western Geneva Co.

Author, Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass: An Adventure Across Southern Waters
JacksonKayak Fishing Team
---------------------------------------------------
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: ikillbux] #849841
02/05/14 12:32 PM
02/05/14 12:32 PM
dothan
eskimo270 Offline
10 point
eskimo270  Offline
10 point
dothan

I'm just worn from this never-ending saga of extended deer seasons.

You are gonna have to learn to deal with it, our brothers in southwest alabama got a lollipop and now the rest of us wants one too.

Super Predator
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: teamduckdown] #849852
02/05/14 12:41 PM
02/05/14 12:41 PM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
I saw a buck chasing this afternoon in Crenshaw County.

Never Trust Government

"You can be broke but you cant be poor." Ruthie-May Webster
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: teamduckdown] #849854
02/05/14 12:43 PM
02/05/14 12:43 PM
Moss Creek
Gotcha1 Offline
Bright Eyes
Gotcha1  Offline
Bright Eyes
Moss Creek
Pavement is the sole factor that determines where and when the various ruts occur.

Last edited by Gotcha1; 02/05/14 12:45 PM.

Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: Gotcha1] #849855
02/05/14 12:45 PM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
Pavement is the sole factor that determines where the various ruts are.

right. pavement. 10-4.

Never Trust Government

"You can be broke but you cant be poor." Ruthie-May Webster
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: eskimo270] #849857
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
You are gonna have to learn to deal with it, our brothers in southwest alabama got a lollipop and now the rest of us wants one too.

Bazinga.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: Clem] #849862
02/05/14 12:49 PM
02/05/14 12:49 PM
Moss Creek
Gotcha1 Offline
Bright Eyes
Gotcha1  Offline
Bright Eyes
Moss Creek
Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:

Bazinga.

Clem, I hope that means you just farted. smile

Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: Gotcha1] #849869
02/05/14 12:56 PM
02/05/14 12:56 PM
Satsuma, AL
R
Robert D. Offline
12 point
Robert D.  Offline
12 point
R
Satsuma, AL
Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:

Bazinga.

Clem, I hope that means you just farted. smile

Nope, that just means he's a fan of the best comedy on TV (Ever). Big Bang Theory

Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: ikillbux] #849904
02/05/14 01:35 PM
02/05/14 01:35 PM
Spanish Fort
teamduckdown Offline OP
10 point
teamduckdown  Offline OP
10 point
Spanish Fort
No, I've never hunted extreme South Alabama, except for a few times as a guest here and there. But I still say we're talking different narratives. If you think I couldn't come to Clark Co (just picking a random place) and kill at least one mountable racked buck in 3 1/2 months (from Oct 15 - Jan 31), then the problem is NOT when the rut occurs. The problem is your land sucks. Ain't no way in Hades I'd pay a dollar to lease any land where I couldn't have a successful season during the traditional state dates. And NO, I don't need a chasing phase to do that in. I'm saying the narrative is about SEEING deer without the rut. It sounds like your narrative is not being able to experience the rut while hunting. If you just want to experience rutting activity, just go sit in your stand in February, or go to Cades Cove with your video camera, or buy an Illinois trip in November, but leave my hunting season alone. And I'll let the pictures above speak for me when I say I may not know the difference between an a$$ and a chipmunk hole, but I know how to see and kill good bucks before February. And two of those three deer above were killed on public land. I also missed a large buck on Barbour WMA on Jan 17th, chasing a doe. I saw 6 bucks chasing does on Jan 17th and 18th on that Barbour hunt.

Well congratulations. Obviously when you were born, god reached down from the heavens and granted you the golden gift of being the best deer hunter in Alabama. Im amazed you don't have a TV show.

But for your brothers in the rest of the state, we need a little rut action.

Turkeys be damned.
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: ikillbux] #849943
02/05/14 02:13 PM
02/05/14 02:13 PM
Spanish Fort
teamduckdown Offline OP
10 point
teamduckdown  Offline OP
10 point
Spanish Fort
No, I've never hunted extreme South Alabama, except for a few times as a guest here and there. But I still say we're talking different narratives. If you think I couldn't come to Clark Co (just picking a random place) and kill at least one mountable racked buck in 3 1/2 months (from Oct 15 - Jan 31), then the problem is NOT when the rut occurs. The problem is your land sucks. Ain't no way in Hades I'd pay a dollar to lease any land where I couldn't have a successful season during the traditional state dates. And NO, I don't need a chasing phase to do that in. I'm saying the narrative is about SEEING deer without the rut. It sounds like your narrative is not being able to experience the rut while hunting. If you just want to experience rutting activity, just go sit in your stand in February, or go to Cades Cove with your video camera, or buy an Illinois trip in November, but leave my hunting season alone. And I'll let the pictures above speak for me when I say I may not know the difference between an a$$ and a chipmunk hole, but I know how to see and kill good bucks before February. And two of those three deer above were killed on public land. I also missed a large buck on Barbour WMA on Jan 17th, chasing a doe. I saw 6 bucks chasing does on Jan 17th and 18th on that Barbour hunt.

Also... you previously admitted that you had already killed your 3 bucks by January 7th, yet you were still hunting on January 17th, so are you openly admitting you don't obey game laws?

Last edited by teamduckdown; 02/05/14 02:14 PM.

Turkeys be damned.
Re: The February Deer season needs to encompass more of the state.. [Re: teamduckdown] #849960
02/05/14 02:29 PM
02/05/14 02:29 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
I say shorten deer season altogether. Only reason is I don't deer hunt much anymore and I'd rather squirrel hunt.

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.