</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (BCLC, click-boom, donia, Dog, BC_Reb, cartervj, leroyb, GUT_SHOT, Semo, BD, Narrow Gap, BobK, Pwyse, MTeague, metalmuncher, GoldenEagle, johndeere5036, M48scout, jaydub12, Dixiepatriot, imslower, desertdog, GomerPyle, mopar, Livintohunt19, Frankie, LostinTX, Chiller, Woody1, treemydog, dwaugh, BAR1225, mauvilla, grundan, dustymac, AUdeerhunter, tucker07, 2 invisible), 792 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: longshot] #4094657
03/03/24 05:15 PM
03/03/24 05:15 PM
Crenshaw
C
CrappieMan Offline
8 point
CrappieMan  Offline
8 point
C
Crenshaw
Trapping is the only way. Shooting only scatters them and makes them harder to get the whole group.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: RidgeRanger] #4094895
03/04/24 12:17 AM
03/04/24 12:17 AM
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by RidgeRanger
Originally Posted by Mbrock

Wrong. Recreational hunting of hogs does nothing in the grand scheme of things. Localized trapping done properly does. It takes more time and money than most are willing to throw at it. I can guarantee you the researchers had rather be spending their funding on something else. Hogs can be eradicated. It’s been done. Recreational hunters have never contributed to eradication of hogs and never will.

So hunters killing hogs does nothing to help eradicate them? That's pure "trust the science" crap from people that make their living on this type stuff. Why is it that hogs are such a problem now? They've been here since DeSoto in the 1500s. At what point does a species become native? I'd say 500 years is enough time.

Hogs need to be controlled and are destructive to agriculture. I get it. To be told that they shouldn't be hunted to help with that is total crap. I hunted a piece of property once that the members damn well did eradicate the hogs from, by hunting only.

Many species were historically hunted to extinction (or near it) with primitive weapons. You can't tell me that with today's weapons and sighting technology that isn't possible now.

Meanwhile, the "officials" are OK with baiting corn everywhere and ignore that it probably isn't helping with the hog population. Of course, they get their $$$ for the permits so what was unethical yesterday is fine today. Plus, they can justify more grant funding to get rid of the demon hogs growing fat on the corn.

Baiting has made the hog population EXPLODE fo sho!!!

How many people am i willing to sacrifice for freedom?
Everyone. All of them...

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: CrappieMan] #4094896
03/04/24 12:19 AM
03/04/24 12:19 AM
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by CrappieMan
Trapping is the only way. Shooting only scatters them and makes them harder to get the whole group.

Sure they scatter. However i've kilt 3 in 3 days, in the same field, from the same group. Reckon the power of milo is just too much for this group to handle lol...

How many people am i willing to sacrifice for freedom?
Everyone. All of them...

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: longshot] #4095244
03/04/24 04:14 PM
03/04/24 04:14 PM
Hartselle
longshot Offline OP
12 point
longshot  Offline OP
12 point
Hartselle
Matt sure put a hurting on the pig population on Black Warrior. Did he eliminate them? No but he stayed on them and took them out when the opportunity was there.

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Some men are born brothers, Others earn it... JD
Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: longshot] #4095253
03/04/24 04:30 PM
03/04/24 04:30 PM
NOALA
RidgeRanger Offline
8 point
RidgeRanger  Offline
8 point
NOALA
Originally Posted by longshot
Matt sure put a hurting on the pig population on Black Warrior. Did he eliminate them? No but he stayed on them and took them out when the opportunity was there.

And he screwed up the only decent hunting up there too. And it didn’t have a thing to do with protecting agriculture.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: RidgeRanger] #4095297
03/04/24 06:05 PM
03/04/24 06:05 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you

And he screwed up the only decent hunting up there too. And it didn’t have a thing to do with protecting agriculture.

I sure did. Only regret is not removing more. I don’t give a flip about recreational hog hunting and never will. The only places in North America where hogs are not a problem is in states you can’t hunt them recreationally. They compete with native wildlife for the same resources. They consume turkey nests and young poults. They damage riparian areas. They eat salamanders, frogs, toads, invertebrates, ground nesting birds, snakes, and anything else they can get in their mouth. There’s no place for them here. If you want to hunt hogs go to Africa, the Middle East or Eastern Europe where they are native and have much smaller litters. Blaming a state agency or agency personnel for actually placing the native resource above an invasive tells me all I need to know. I unapologetically hate hogs and have no patience for anyone who wants them on the landscape.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: Mbrock] #4095303
03/04/24 06:11 PM
03/04/24 06:11 PM
Crenshaw
C
CrappieMan Offline
8 point
CrappieMan  Offline
8 point
C
Crenshaw

I sure did. Only regret is not removing more. I don’t give a flip about recreational hog hunting and never will. The only places in North America where hogs are not a problem is in states you can’t hunt them recreationally. They compete with native wildlife for the same resources. They consume turkey nests and young poults. They damage riparian areas. They eat salamanders, frogs, toads, invertebrates, ground nesting birds, snakes, and anything else they can get in their mouth. There’s no place for them here. If you want to hunt hogs go to Africa, the Middle East or Eastern Europe where they are native and have much smaller litters. Blaming a state agency or agency personnel for actually placing the native resource above an invasive tells me all I need to know. I unapologetically hate hogs and have no patience for anyone who wants them on the landscape.

You can only understand that if you've ever had them on your place! Can't even bushhog after they arrive.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: longshot] #4095308
03/04/24 06:17 PM
03/04/24 06:17 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
Trying to bush hog, disc or run hay equipment in a field that’s been rooted in is awful.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: RidgeRanger] #4095429
03/04/24 09:55 PM
03/04/24 09:55 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
12 point
turkey247  Offline
12 point
LASW

So……you and an army of public land hog hunters and deer hunters opportunistically shooting hogs we’re enjoying a very sustainable hog population - then, a trapping program with resources, time and effort came along and by golly ruined the hog hunting. I’ll be danged how that works thumbup

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: longshot] #4095458
03/04/24 10:33 PM
03/04/24 10:33 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
[Linked Image]

We dont rent pigs
Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: longshot] #4095472
03/04/24 10:59 PM
03/04/24 10:59 PM
USA
M
marshmud991 Offline
14 point
marshmud991  Offline
14 point
M
USA
All you guys that are saying y’all or someone else eradicated hogs from a property are full of it. You may have ran the hogs off the property but y’all didn’t kill every hog there was. I killed 100+ hogs for 3 years on a 6000 acre farm we’d grow rice on and never seamed to hurt the population. I’d move them off the farm into the marsh for a while but they’d always come back. It was a constant battle. That same farm now has state trappers trying to control them but hogs are smart and avoids their traps. You will NEVER eradicate hogs by hunting them. Period!!!

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chews your a$$ all day long.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: Mbrock] #4095489
03/05/24 12:33 AM
03/05/24 12:33 AM
NOALA
RidgeRanger Offline
8 point
RidgeRanger  Offline
8 point
NOALA

And I've got no patience for employees of state bureaucracies that are disrespectful and voice their opposition to hunting hogs on public property (contrary to state law). We'll all enjoy the extra snakes, frogs and salamanders you've provided. Welcome to the ignore list.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: RidgeRanger] #4095527
03/05/24 07:14 AM
03/05/24 07:14 AM
USA
M
marshmud991 Offline
14 point
marshmud991  Offline
14 point
M
USA

And I've got no patience for employees of state bureaucracies that are disrespectful and voice their opposition to hunting hogs on public property (contrary to state law). We'll all enjoy the extra snakes, frogs and salamanders you've provided. Welcome to the ignore list.

Hmmmm!!! So your opinion is the only one that matters? I think anyone who works for or uses any public land should do everything possible to rid the place of hogs. Anyone who knows anything about hogs would not want them around. I do t know you but I’d bet you never had or own a piece of property that you had to work on that hogs have destroyed. I agree 100% with Matt, that any and all efforts should be make to get rid of them. You can kill a couple by hunting them but the entire sounders need to be removed and the only way is by trapping.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: RidgeRanger] #4095552
03/05/24 08:24 AM
03/05/24 08:24 AM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you

I’m being ignored by someone who places their own recreational interests and opinions over those of sound science and the betterment of the resource. I’m honored. I’m perfectly fine with your decision.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: marshmud991] #4095589
03/05/24 10:06 AM
03/05/24 10:06 AM
NOALA
RidgeRanger Offline
8 point
RidgeRanger  Offline
8 point
NOALA
Originally Posted by marshmud991

Hmmmm!!! So your opinion is the only one that matters? I think anyone who works for or uses any public land should do everything possible to rid the place of hogs. Anyone who knows anything about hogs would not want them around. I do t know you but I’d bet you never had or own a piece of property that you had to work on that hogs have destroyed. I agree 100% with Matt, that any and all efforts should be make to get rid of them. You can kill a couple by hunting them but the entire sounders need to be removed and the only way is by trapping.

That's right, you don't know me.

Maybe you should consider the opinions of several in this thread that that don't blindly drink the kool aid and buy into their idea that gov't conducted trapping is the only component to control hogs. Despite the anti hog hunting opinions that have been stated here by a DCNR type in an open forum, they were begging hog hunters to come to Bankhead just a few short years ago. They still are. Feral Hog Hunting in Alabama

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: Mbrock] #4095619
03/05/24 11:06 AM
03/05/24 11:06 AM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A

I’m being ignored by someone who places their own recreational interests and opinions over those of sound science and the betterment of the resource. I’m honored. I’m perfectly fine with your decision.

Sounds like he'd be a perfect fit to go work for Chuckie and the state. Reading his posts, it would seem he already feels entitled. Ridge, since you seem to enjoy hunting them and know so much about hogs and hog control, why dont you tell us how many hogs you've killed in your lifetime on your public land hunts, since gun hunting them is such an effective tool.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: RidgeRanger] #4095661
03/05/24 11:57 AM
03/05/24 11:57 AM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you

That's right, you don't know me.

Maybe you should consider the opinions of several in this thread that that don't blindly drink the kool aid and buy into their idea that gov't conducted trapping is the only component to control hogs. Despite the anti hog hunting opinions that have been stated here by a DCNR type in an open forum, they were begging hog hunters to come to Bankhead just a few short years ago. They still are. Feral Hog Hunting in Alabama

I don’t work for DCNR, therefore I can freely speak how I want to. It affects no one but me.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: abolt300] #4095664
03/05/24 11:59 AM
03/05/24 11:59 AM
NOALA
RidgeRanger Offline
8 point
RidgeRanger  Offline
8 point
NOALA
Originally Posted by abolt300

Sounds like he'd be a perfect fit to go work for Chuckie and the state. Reading his posts, it would seem he already feels entitled. Ridge, since you seem to enjoy hunting them and know so much about hogs and hog control, why dont you tell us how many hogs you've killed in your lifetime on your public land hunts, since gun hunting them is such an effective tool.

Why don't you tell me how many thousands of hunters are shooting every hog they see? Maybe we should all stop shooting them and stop buying their hunting licenses and WMA licenses. Common sense tells us that thousands of hunters shooting hogs every Fall is a valid control method. The state regs and literature clearly recognize that fact despite the anti-hunting opinion previously stated here.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: RidgeRanger] #4095706
03/05/24 12:59 PM
03/05/24 12:59 PM
USA
M
marshmud991 Offline
14 point
marshmud991  Offline
14 point
M
USA
Originally Posted by abolt300

Why don't you tell me how many thousands of hunters are shooting every hog they see? Maybe we should all stop shooting them and stop buying their hunting licenses and WMA licenses. Common sense tells us that thousands of hunters shooting hogs every Fall is a valid control method. The state regs and literature clearly recognize that fact despite the anti-hunting opinion previously stated here.

I strongly believe that there is no one on this forum is anti hog hunting!!! We are simply stating that hunting them alone will not and will never eradicate hog populations. Hunting them will not even keep numbers in check in most places. Also most deer hunters I know will most likely let a hog walk because they think it will mess up their hunt. A hog is on the same level as a coyote and bobcat for me. I’ll shoot without prejudice every hog I see on property I can.

Re: Looking for place to hunt pigs [Re: marshmud991] #4095725
03/05/24 01:30 PM
03/05/24 01:30 PM
NOALA
RidgeRanger Offline
8 point
RidgeRanger  Offline
8 point
NOALA

I strongly believe that there is no one on this forum is anti hog hunting!!!

Have you actually read this thread?

"I don’t give a flip about recreational hog hunting and never will. The only places in North America where hogs are not a problem is in states you can’t hunt them recreationally." -Matt Brock

I'm not against trapping and never said I was. The point is that bureaucracies specialize in justifying their existence and getting public funds and it pisses me off to hear them all spouting the company line that trapping is the only way (because they can get funding and justify their existence with that) and hunting hurts the effort when common sense says different. The same people were begging for hunters to help in Bankhead a few short years ago. They also are for shooting, chasing with helicopters, etc. when its them being funded to do it. Apparently hunters are the only ones making trapping less effective by spooking hogs. And, of course, statewide corn baiting is ok now too since they're making $$$ on it.

Forest Service

"Other techniques, such as judas pig, ground shooting, and aerial gunning will be performed to compliment trapping efforts."

Keep "trusting the science". Bureaucrats would never lead you astray and have your best interests at heart.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.