</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
FS: ROCK ISLAND ROCK ULTRA FS 10MM 1911
by FreeStateHunter. 05/15/24 06:59 PM
FS: Savage 110 Trail Hunter in .243
by FreeStateHunter. 05/15/24 06:54 PM
Kimber Montana 84m 308
by jb20. 05/15/24 12:43 PM
Truck for Sale - Possibly 2
by Turkeyhunter12. 05/15/24 09:13 AM
Looking for Youth Model Remington 7
by Runningdeer. 05/14/24 09:40 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Research Update
by abolt300. 05/15/24 03:36 PM
Tennessee
by jawbone. 05/15/24 12:24 PM
Taxidermist called
by Big Game Hunter. 05/15/24 12:13 AM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by TDog93. 05/13/24 09:11 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TDog93. 05/12/24 07:06 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Who's Online Now
125 registered members (YellaLineHunter, MCW, Tall Dog, JA, jacannon, Skullworks, ParrotHead89, BPI, Semo, Ben Downs, Snuffy, Atoler, hue, TwoRs, Alb, cdaddy14, snakebit, FreeStateHunter, Rockstar007, BearBranch, eclipse829, Buck-bomb, 7PTSPREAD, AWT6, Gut Pile 32, Justice, HBWALKER14, need2hunt, twaldrop4, MarkAlan, ColeT, MikeP, DHW, scrubbuck, woodduck, jmj120, Coosa buck, blumsden, LostinTX, bug54, MGrubber, Red Fox, AUtgr, fillmore, Reaper, Dixiepatriot, oldforester, limabean, bows_and_does, Young20, cch, Floorman1, JohnnyLoco, mw2015, Bustinbeards, coldtrail, Exhoosier, PikeRoadHunter, Jmfire722, mdavis, 7x57_Mauser, Macon176, brushwhacker, CeeHawk37, PourIron12, GomerPyle, Buckwheat, BradB, Hoytdad10, m97, deerman24, BhamFred, AKB, Epalm88, bowkl, BC, Nightwatchman, Beer Belly, jwalker77, GUT_SHOT, akbejeepin, geeb1, 2 ducks, Scooter7, Paddlejon, CAL, jaydub12, AU coonhunter, graydw1, sw1002, M48scout, 700ltr308, LetOff, Raspy, !shiloh!, GoldenEagle, mdf, Paint Rock 00, JLMiller, Shmoe, Swamp Monkey, Irishguy, lectrode, low wall, Gobble4me757, HHSyelper, Brian_C, Tree Dweller, Tracker, bamabug, dave260rem!, punisher338, Mbrock, AU338MAG, Turkeyhunter12, 10 invisible), 1,293 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: CNC] #3954561
08/09/23 09:05 AM
08/09/23 09:05 AM
Earth
TDog93 Offline
Booner
TDog93  Offline
Booner
Earth
I sure aint read thru all these - read thru several - but not all

Hey - anybody on here that actually spoke in tongue's yourself?? šŸ˜„šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ just wondering since this thread still going like the energizer bunny šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Hav not read where anybody said they had

Hunt the wind - leave it better than you found it - love your neighbor as you love your self
We need prayer for our country now more than ever
Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: Shaneomac2] #3954566
08/09/23 09:14 AM
08/09/23 09:14 AM
Bama
J
jacobellis67 Offline
spike
jacobellis67  Offline
spike
J
Bama
Open the link I posted earlier in this thread. Robert Morris explains it using Scipture. He was trained to believe Baptist doctrine and now believes what the Bible says.

I

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: ghost rabbit] #3954571
08/09/23 09:19 AM
08/09/23 09:19 AM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Ghost Rabbit, I haven't had a chance to read through everything yet, but considering that the Assemblies of God has 48 million members worldwide and and Church of God has 7 million worldwide and countless other denominations that believe in speaking in tongues, that is a lot of people that are "wicked, mislead, demonic, scripturally unsound, fill in whatever other words that have been used in this thread".....

Do you honestly believe that these 60 million people that meet weekly across the US and worldwide, worship the Lord, pray with you, fast with you and for you, intercede for your needs, go boldly to the thrown of God with you and for you, tithe, seek the Lord's will in their daily lives and families, lead people to Christ are wicked and demonic? Seriously?

What do you think we are doing in our services while you are worshiping the Lord in your service?

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: Booger] #3954572
08/09/23 09:20 AM
08/09/23 09:20 AM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Originally Posted by Booger
Iā€™ve never seen it done where it didnā€™t appear staged or fake. HOWEVER, I do believe that there are times when the Holy Spirit speaks through us. I once stood in a courtroom in Russia trying to explain to a judge how our family could care for a child with a terminal illness. We were adopting him. I began speaking with the aid of an interpreter and literally blacked out. Not pass out, but blacked out. Next thing I know, the judge is in tears, the interpreter is sitting and in tears, and so is everyone else in the courtroom. My wife said I spoke for ten minutes. I remember the first few seconds. She said I shared our faith in Christ and how we felt led to adopt this particular child who was labeled unadoptable. I spoke what I felt was English. The interpreter stopped trying to interpret because she couldnā€™t keep up. She said that even though I spoke in English, everyone in the room understood me. The judge only spoke in Russian. She came down from her chambers to hug us and thank us. The adoption counselor said she has never witnessed anything like that in her many years in courtrooms. I believe it was the work of the Holy Spirit.

Amen Booger!

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: CNC] #3954577
08/09/23 09:33 AM
08/09/23 09:33 AM
Bama
J
jacobellis67 Offline
spike
jacobellis67  Offline
spike
J
Bama
https://youtu.be/15TA1YVevJU

This will answer a lot of questions

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: TDog93] #3954584
08/09/23 09:41 AM
08/09/23 09:41 AM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted by TDog93
I sure aint read thru all these - read thru several - but not all

Hey - anybody on here that actually spoke in tongue's yourself?? šŸ˜„šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ just wondering since this thread still going like the energizer bunny šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Hav not read where anybody said they had

Yes. I grew up in a charismatic church where speaking in tongues (as Paul referenced in 1 Corinthians 14), was believed to be a good thing. Iā€™ve never had a message in tongues for the church. Iā€™ve seen that occur twice in my life, and there was an interpretation both times. However, I have prayed in tongues personally many times.

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: Okatuppa] #3954586
08/09/23 09:42 AM
08/09/23 09:42 AM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Originally Posted by Okatuppa
Originally Posted by Dubie
I grew up Pentecostal and still attend an Assembly of God church. Iā€™m 3rd and 4th generation on both sides. I will tell you that speaking in tongues is real. If you have ever experienced an outpouring of the HG and been touched by Him in that manner- you know what I mean. I donā€™t think Pentecostals do a great job of explaining it sometimes- tongues really isnā€™t important. We should all be praying for ā€œmoreā€ of the Lord in our lives- never be content with where your relationship is with Him, always asking for moreā€¦.let Him figure out the more part, we should be willing vessels. I think every believer reaches a point in their walk with God where they need more of Him. Whatever they have isnā€™t working and you almost become desperate for Him to do something. I can remember the night I got filled with the HG and spoke on tongues. The evangelist preached about the parable of the 10 virgins and their candlesticks- title of his sermon was ā€œWhy you need the Holy Ghostā€. I canā€™t tell you what he preached about but I knew as soon as he gave an alter call I was going to the alter! I was always one of those guys that prayed Lord please donā€™t let me run around, jump up and down, scream, make a scene, etc when I got filled- that was pride, plain and simple. As I walked to the alter, I said Lord, Iā€™ll do whatever You want and act however You want- I just want more of You in my life. My pride had been demolished by a hunger for a fresh touch from the Lord. I got filled that night and spoke in tongues. I feel like it is a gift for moments when you donā€™t have the words to pray or know how to explain the feelings of hurt, doubt, fear, you name it. That is what the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues is for- itā€™s a way to speak to the Lord about a need. I also know the devil hears our prayers when we pray, and that makes him quake with fearā€¦but he still hears them. I heard it preached once that the devil canā€™t understand tongues and that is a gift from the Lord as well. I donā€™t know how to explain it all, but when it happens to you- you are changed! Hallelujah! Going out on a limb for my Aldeer family, yā€™all always give me good info so I gotta return the favor now šŸ¤£

Your handle makes sense, now.

Iā€™m kidding. My maternal grandmother was a lifelong member an Assembly of God church.
Iā€™ve witnessed everything that yā€™all have discussed during services there and it was always the same two people doing it. I can still hear what they were saying to this day and it always sounded similar each time.
I never really questioned the legitimacy of it, I just thought those people were really well connected to the spirit of the Lord. Interesting topic that I havenā€™t thought about in 25 years.

Dubon is my middle name so Dubie seemed appropriate lol Considering I am about as straitlaced as you could come, never even touched a doobie. I have heard countless people give messages in tongues and countless others interpret them during services. The interpretation typically lines up with a preacher's sermon, solidify a point in the service, provide encouragement, provide a word of boldness- who knows. I will say that they are in order and timely when they do occur. The Holy Spirit is not the author of confusion as countless people have already said- He is a gentlemen and will use the interpretation to reach someone about something.

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: CNC] #3954591
08/09/23 09:56 AM
08/09/23 09:56 AM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Like SouthBamaSlayer said, I personally pray in tongues. I have never given out a church wide message in tongues. I have heard old, young, children, teenagers all give messages in tongues. The Lord is looking for a vessel- He is no respecter of persons.

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: CNC] #3954599
08/09/23 10:06 AM
08/09/23 10:06 AM
coffee county
goodman_hunter Offline
Booner
goodman_hunter  Offline
Booner
coffee county

For without victory, there is no survival
Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: CNC] #3954607
08/09/23 10:16 AM
08/09/23 10:16 AM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Offline
10 point
Pwyse  Offline
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
Ghost Rabbit, I must say that your interpretation of 1 Cor 14 doesnā€™t make sense. Why would we need the scripture to forbid us from speaking English to people that speak Spanish? That would be obvious. Scripture doesnā€™t need to tell us to do those kind of things. God also gave us walking around sense. If you replace the word tongues with language, it doesnā€™t change anything. It doesnā€™t specify if it is a language invented by humans or one from the heavenly beings. So what does that prove?

Why would Paul have to explain to someone that you canā€™t speak to someone in English that only speaks Spanish without an interpreter?? Well duh huh!!

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: CNC] #3954609
08/09/23 10:20 AM
08/09/23 10:20 AM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Check out this story about Max Lucado. He is a well known Baptist minster and author that received the baptism of the HG with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Someone that has authored devotions that have reached the far corners of the world, authored books, preached and taught on the subject (not necessarily against but not for), and now speaks in tongues. When you listen to his story, he describes wanting more of the Lord, seeking more of the Lord, that there is something deeper to find in his relationship with the Lord- that is when his change happened.

How do we describe someone that has believed and taught one way for 64 years....only to have a supernatural change/experience? What if you wanted to call it a Damascus Road experience like Paul's conversion? I mean that more in jest, but he is a changed man! Why would he fake this when his texts are already used in churches across the world?

Does his change bring glory and honor to the Lord or as some have said on this thread, does it bring about wickedness, mislead teachings, demonic, scripturally unsound, etc?

He is a man just like us, not saying he is perfect- just using as an example of someone that experienced a change later in life.

https://churchleaders.com/news/433857-speaking-in-tongues-max-lucado-prayer-time.html

Sounds to be similar to the Robert Morris gentleman that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: Bamarich2] #3954640
08/09/23 10:58 AM
08/09/23 10:58 AM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Originally Posted by Bamarich2
I feel like it is a gift for moments when you donā€™t have the words to pray or know how to explain the feelings of hurt, doubt, fear, you name it. That is what the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues is for- itā€™s a way to speak to the Lord about a need. I also know the devil hears our prayers when we pray, and that makes him quake with fearā€¦but he still hears them. I heard it preached once that the devil canā€™t understand tongues and that is a gift from the Lord as well. I donā€™t know how to explain it all, but when it happens to you- you are changed! Hallelujah! Going out on a limb for my Aldeer family, yā€™all always give me good info so I gotta return the favor now šŸ¤£

I certainly donā€™t doubt your sincerity or your feeling of legitimacy in your experiences. Butā€¦ thatā€™s not a biblical definition of ā€œspeaking in tonguesā€. Thereā€™s nothing in Scripture to suggest ā€œtonguesā€ is anything like what you feel. Maybe call it something else, but not ā€œspeaking in tonguesā€.

Bamarich, what would you call it then? What are tongues supposed to sounds like or feel like?

How do you describe a moan of agony as friend at church describes their cancer diagnosis? Is it both a sound and a feeling?
How would you describe singing and praising the Lord in church?
How do you describe travailing in prayer for a lost relative?
How do you describe the desperate prayers of someone addicted to heroin praying for deliverance?

Do these actions have sounds and feelings? Yes they do- you "feel" in your soul when you pray, praise, fast, etc.

Why can't tongues be a sound and feeling?

The Spirit intercedes for us- Romans 8:26 says the Spirit intercedes for us when we don't know what to pray. Who am I to determine how and what that looks and sounds like?

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: jwalker77] #3954655
08/09/23 11:20 AM
08/09/23 11:20 AM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Originally Posted by jwalker77
I grew up Pentecostal and still attend an Assembly of God church. Iā€™m 3rd and 4th generation on both sides. I will tell you that speaking in tongues is real. If you have ever experienced an outpouring of the HG and been touched by Him in that manner- you know what I mean. I donā€™t think Pentecostals do a great job of explaining it sometimes- tongues really isnā€™t important. We should all be praying for ā€œmoreā€ of the Lord in our lives- never be content with where your relationship is with Him, always asking for moreā€¦.let Him figure out the more part, we should be willing vessels. I think every believer reaches a point in their walk with God where they need more of Him. Whatever they have isnā€™t working and you almost become desperate for Him to do something. I can remember the night I got filled with the HG and spoke on tongues. The evangelist preached about the parable of the 10 virgins and their candlesticks- title of his sermon was ā€œWhy you need the Holy Ghostā€. I canā€™t tell you what he preached about but I knew as soon as he gave an alter call I was going to the alter! I was always one of those guys that prayed Lord please donā€™t let me run around, jump up and down, scream, make a scene, etc when I got filled- that was pride, plain and simple. As I walked to the alter, I said Lord, Iā€™ll do whatever You want and act however You want- I just want more of You in my life. My pride had been demolished by a hunger for a fresh touch from the Lord. I got filled that night and spoke in tongues. I feel like it is a gift for moments when you donā€™t have the words to pray or know how to explain the feelings of hurt, doubt, fear, you name it. That is what the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues is for- itā€™s a way to speak to the Lord about a need. I also know the devil hears our prayers when we pray, and that makes him quake with fearā€¦but he still hears them. I heard it preached once that the devil canā€™t understand tongues and that is a gift from the Lord as well. I donā€™t know how to explain it all, but when it happens to you- you are changed! Hallelujah! Going out on a limb for my Aldeer family, yā€™all always give me good info so I gotta return the favor now šŸ¤£

Do you have any idea what you were saying? In english, i mean? I have seen a few people speak in tongues in my life. I always wondered of they even had any idea what they were saying.

Jwalker, I have no idea.....I leave that to the Lord. I've always wondered why some people sound different than others? Why some messages in tongues are short and others long...Those are mysteries to me that I can ask the Lord one day! He created the gift of tongues and the gift of interpretation, so I'll let Him determine what I am saying. I have never given a message in tongues for the entire church, so I got nothing for you there.

One thing that Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as a sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.

What do the tongues of angels sound like? No idea....

Without charity, the gifts of the Spirit are unprofitable. The gifts of the Spirit (prophecy, healing, tongues, interpretation, etc.) have to be used in love. Love is the governing principle for spiritual manifestations in that people want to help, comfort, and bless people.

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: Pwyse] #3954659
08/09/23 11:28 AM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
Originally Posted by Pwyse
[quote=Bamarich2] I donā€™t understand how your belief that ā€œtonguesā€ is just another human language. I mean I understand that it was in acts 2 at Pentecost, but how can that be what Paul was talking about in 1Cor 14? If someone has the gift to speak in other languages without being taught those languages, why in earth would they need an interpreter? They didnā€™t need an interpreter for the Acts 2 account did they? No, because they spoke the languages of the people there.
If Iā€™m in Mexico, and the Holy Spirit gives me the ability to speak Spanish without being taught, I donā€™t need an interpreter. See what I mean? Itā€™s has to be talking about a language that is revealed to only the interpreter.

I mean, thatā€™s what makes sense to me. If someone can explain why someone that speaks the language of the people the word is spoken to needs an interpreter please do.

Good question. In the Corinthian assembly, there was likely a prominent language spoken by most of the members there. However, there would also be some people like the apostles in Acts 2 - they could deliver a message from God in either their native tongue OR in a foreign language. It's also probable some only had the gift of prophecy OR the gift of tongues - they could speak a message from God but only in one language. With there being some tongue speakers in the Corinthian assembly, they were essentially told "do not preach in the foreign language unless there's someone there who can interpret the message to the Corinthians." It's also possible there would be visitors who didn't speak the language that was used in Corinth - those people should also be silent unless someone could interpret the message to the people.

Using your example above, when you came home from Mexico to an English speaking church, God would tell you "don't preach in Spanish unless there's someone who can interpret that message to the English speaking people". Although you'd have the gift, it's not proper to use it in that context.

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: Dubie] #3954660
Chilton County
M
MarksOutdoors Offline
Booner
MarksOutdoors  Offline
Booner
M
Chilton County

Do you have any idea what you were saying? In english, i mean? I have seen a few people speak in tongues in my life. I always wondered of they even had any idea what they were saying.

Jwalker, I have no idea.....I leave that to the Lord. I've always wondered why some people sound different than others? Why some messages in tongues are short and others long...Those are mysteries to me that I can ask the Lord one day! He created the gift of tongues and the gift of interpretation, so I'll let Him determine what I am saying. I have never given a message in tongues for the entire church, so I got nothing for you there.

One thing that Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as a sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.

Without charity, the gifts of the Spirit are unprofitable. The gifts of the Spirit (prophecy, healing, tongues, interpretation, etc.) have to be used in love. Love is the governing principle for spiritual manifestations in that people want to help, comfort, and bless people.

You mentioned "tongues of angels". The times in scripture that angels appeared and spoke, they were speaking in regular, common languages to human beings. He spoke in regular language when Gabriel appeared to Zechariah and to Mary.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton
Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: CNC] #3954670
08/09/23 11:40 AM
08/09/23 11:40 AM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Offline
14 point
Lockjaw  Offline
14 point
L
Chelsea
I have heard multiple people speak in tongues. Every single one sounds different. People I have talked to says it tends to evolve with time.

I really don't understand why it seems like a far fetched thing. How many different languages are there on the earth? God can hear every single one of them. Things like that used to bother me, but then I have had things happen in my life that have made me change my position.

Here is what I will say. If you pray and fast, things change. It takes a few days, but you begin to become more aware. We have way to much chatter around us, to many distractions. When people talk about God speaking to them, I call it more of a download. You just become aware of something.

I used to go to this bible study that did prophetic things from time to time. One of the oddest things that happened is this guy comes in 1 time. I had never seen him before or after, but the guy leading the study mentioned some book we should read. After the service, I was talking to some people and this dude walks up to me and tells me I need to read that book, and then he leaves.

Well I did, and it was amazing. It was a book that talked about brain function and how some of the biblical truths science has proven. For example. The bible says not to let the sun go down on your anger. Well there is a reason for that. When you go to sleep and go into Rem sleep, that is when your subconscious forms memories. Once you form one, its there. Right? So between a couple, going to bed mad is never a good idea, but you form a bad memory of your spouse. That is why you should settle a matter quickly.

You have no idea what your brain can really do. We probably don't use 10% of its capacity.

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: Dubie] #3954675
08/09/23 11:48 AM
08/09/23 11:48 AM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
Bamarich, what would you call it then? What are tongues supposed to sounds like or feel like?

How do you describe a moan of agony as friend at church describes their cancer diagnosis? Is it both a sound and a feeling?
How would you describe singing and praising the Lord in church?
How do you describe travailing in prayer for a lost relative?
How do you describe the desperate prayers of someone addicted to heroin praying for deliverance?

Do these actions have sounds and feelings? Yes they do- you "feel" in your soul when you pray, praise, fast, etc.

Why can't tongues be a sound and feeling?

The Spirit intercedes for us- Romans 8:26 says the Spirit intercedes for us when we don't know what to pray. Who am I to determine how and what that looks and sounds like?

IF Romans 8:26 called that prayer "tongues", I'd join in what you believe on the matter. There's no hint in that passage that the ORIGIN of the prayer is from God. Rather, the prayer is from US and directed to God and the Holy Spirit's role is that He interprets what we're saying to God. Many of us have been in trying situations where we couldn't even find intelligible words to express our needs to God, but that's radically different than God bestowing some type of special language on us so we could communicate to Him.

There are four prominent places in the NT where tongues are mentioned in the way that we are discussing - Acts 2:1-8, Acts 10:46, 19:6, and 1 Corinthians 12-14. Your last question... we determine how and what things look like based on what the bible says it should. If the bible is silent about the matter, then the range is limitless. However, when talking about tongues not only do you have specific instructions and examples, but you also have the Greek word itself - which means "a language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations." Again, I'm not doubting any of the legitimacy of what you're feeling, but that's not speaking in tongues according to the bible's definition.

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: MarksOutdoors] #3954737
08/09/23 01:56 PM
08/09/23 01:56 PM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors

You mentioned "tongues of angels". The times in scripture that angels appeared and spoke, they were speaking in regular, common languages to human beings. He spoke in regular language when Gabriel appeared to Zechariah and to Mary.

I agree with you. Why does the verse differentiate the difference between the tongues of men and angels if they always speak the same language? Isn't that redundant? I honestly don't know....

Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: Bamarich2] #3954740
08/09/23 02:08 PM
08/09/23 02:08 PM
Birmingham
D
Dubie Offline
4 point
Dubie  Offline
4 point
D
Birmingham
Originally Posted by Bamarich2
Originally Posted by Pwyse
[quote=Bamarich2] I donā€™t understand how your belief that ā€œtonguesā€ is just another human language. I mean I understand that it was in acts 2 at Pentecost, but how can that be what Paul was talking about in 1Cor 14? If someone has the gift to speak in other languages without being taught those languages, why in earth would they need an interpreter? They didnā€™t need an interpreter for the Acts 2 account did they? No, because they spoke the languages of the people there.
If Iā€™m in Mexico, and the Holy Spirit gives me the ability to speak Spanish without being taught, I donā€™t need an interpreter. See what I mean? Itā€™s has to be talking about a language that is revealed to only the interpreter.

I mean, thatā€™s what makes sense to me. If someone can explain why someone that speaks the language of the people the word is spoken to needs an interpreter please do.

Good question. In the Corinthian assembly, there was likely a prominent language spoken by most of the members there. However, there would also be some people like the apostles in Acts 2 - they could deliver a message from God in either their native tongue OR in a foreign language. It's also probable some only had the gift of prophecy OR the gift of tongues - they could speak a message from God but only in one language. With there being some tongue speakers in the Corinthian assembly, they were essentially told "do not preach in the foreign language unless there's someone there who can interpret the message to the Corinthians." It's also possible there would be visitors who didn't speak the language that was used in Corinth - those people should also be silent unless someone could interpret the message to the people.

Using your example above, when you came home from Mexico to an English speaking church, God would tell you "don't preach in Spanish unless there's someone who can interpret that message to the English speaking people". Although you'd have the gift, it's not proper to use it in that context.

[

We both use a little of the same conjecturing for different sides of the same issue.....we weren't there and have to use the Bible to discern what to do. You can either be one of the 11 that criticized Peter's sinking for his lack of faith focusing on the wind and waves....or be Peter and have the faith to step out of the boat. I choose to step out and believe that the Holy Spirit can do any of this and still does this today. There are just too many God-fearing people across the globe to believe in something fake or manufactured....that make something up week to week.

Do I understand all of it? No.
Do I need to understand all of it? No, but He does and that is more than enough for me.

I don't understand how God could cause the sun, moon, and stars to stand still for the Israelites to fight for 24 hours straight....but I know He did. Or how how Lazarus's tissue, organs, blood, cells, brain function, etc all returned to normal function when Jesus called him from the tomb...It is the same way with many aspects of the Holy Spirit. Because we cannot explain some of the things, that does not mean we do not believe in the omniscient, omnipresent power of the Creator of the Universe. We are so quick to limit that which we don't understand....that is not the way that God works.

Last edited by Dubie; 08/09/23 02:25 PM.
Re: Speaking in Tongues [Re: CNC] #3954776
08/09/23 03:07 PM
08/09/23 03:07 PM
blount county alabama
jwalker77 Online confused
Pumpkin
jwalker77  Online Confused
Pumpkin
blount county alabama
I sure try to have an open mind as much as i can. As long as its not dealing with Jesus Christ, what he was, what he did and what that guarantees me. I would sure hate to have to explain to God in heaven how he had something wrong and my church had it right.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.