</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
1st Gen Stainless M700 MTN FS
by ALMODUX. 05/17/24 09:23 PM
450 Marlin and Ranger boat
by 3006bullet. 05/17/24 06:35 PM
FS or Trade, Weatherby Orion 12GA O/U
by kaferhaus. 05/17/24 06:15 PM
High School or Junior High baseball bat $65
by toyota05. 05/17/24 04:16 PM
Saint Bernard
by Big AL 76. 05/17/24 03:22 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Research Update
by Ben2. 05/17/24 08:35 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by marshmud991. 05/17/24 08:29 PM
research data base
by Frankie. 05/17/24 07:50 PM
Tennessee
by jawbone. 05/15/24 12:24 PM
Taxidermist called
by Big Game Hunter. 05/15/24 12:13 AM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Who's Online Now
11 registered members (RCHRR, Tree Dweller, IDOT, Thread Killer, AJones, Geezer, sw1002, Rolloverdave, BCLC, dave260rem!, 1 invisible), 874 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914606
05/23/23 11:51 AM
05/23/23 11:51 AM
Shelby Co, AL
CatHeadBiscuit Offline
14 point
CatHeadBiscuit  Offline
14 point
Shelby Co, AL
Travel ball is ruining kid’s arms, raising unrealistic expectations and generally elitism. Play park ball and play catch with little Johnny nearly every day. Go to the park on weekends and do some BP, hit some grounders and popups to your child around 6:00 am. Nobody’s at the park then. An hour of individual instruction and time with your kid is priceless. If you don’t know how to teach a kid baseball fundamentals either go on YouTube and learn the basics or take your kid to 3 or 4 sessions with a personal coach. Learn the routine and mimic what they do to get your kids lots of repetitions. More videos to help advance their skills.

Really, to each their own but travel ball holds no appeal to us.

"Arguing on the internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. You may be good at chess, but the pigeon is just going to knock all the pieces down, take a crap on the table, and strut around like its victorious."--Anonymous
Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914608
05/23/23 12:04 PM
05/23/23 12:04 PM
behind my Dillon
dave260rem! Online content
Skinny’s Ex
dave260rem!  Online Content
Skinny’s Ex
behind my Dillon
Travel ball was invented to stroke parents egos. Was acquainted with a family through umpiring and Dad was there at 7 am just playing catch with his 12 year old. This kid grew to have "it" on the mound last time I called him behind the plate mid 90s fastball Wipeout slider solid OK changeup good fielder and better than average hitter. Dad insisted no more than one game on the mound per week. This young man spent 6 years in Mlb as a bullpen guy and thanked me profusely for helping him understand the strike zone(yeah it stunned me.)

Skinny is my EX.Alcohol was involved.
Re: All-Star Dads [Re: coldtrail] #3914641
05/23/23 12:53 PM
05/23/23 12:53 PM
Clayton, AL
B
BC_Reb Offline
8 point
BC_Reb  Offline
8 point
B
Clayton, AL
Originally Posted by coldtrail
My son and his four friends just played their last high school game. They won a state chapmionship last year but they came up just short of winning the state championship after moving up to 2A
They finished runner up this year.
He played travel ball a few years. He got tired of travel ball when he started JV. For him what he loved the most was the group of guys he played with. From coach pitch to highschool these guys competed with and against each other and left it all on the field. I would have preferred he loved hunting and fishing like I did, but he was a ball player.
I believe its a godly desire to strive and compete I'm certainly going to miss watching him play.

Whether you believe it or not life is a competition. Men compete for women, jobs and positions. I can't think of a better way to learn about this than through youth sports. I always tried to take the time and address the life lessons he could learn after all the little league games.

I also think God enjoys watching us compete and persevere in life, He allows us to fail, but gives us strength to get back up. He allows pain in the world. He seems to enjoy watching us all compete at life just like I enjoyed watching my son compete on the diamond.

Did he play for Vincent? I was sure pulling for them against Ariton.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: BC_Reb] #3914646
05/23/23 01:20 PM
05/23/23 01:20 PM
Henry county
coldtrail Offline
12 point
coldtrail  Offline
12 point
Henry county
Originally Posted by BC_Reb
Originally Posted by coldtrail
My son and his four friends just played their last high school game. They won a state chapmionship last year but they came up just short of winning the state championship after moving up to 2A
They finished runner up this year.
He played travel ball a few years. He got tired of travel ball when he started JV. For him what he loved the most was the group of guys he played with. From coach pitch to highschool these guys competed with and against each other and left it all on the field. I would have preferred he loved hunting and fishing like I did, but he was a ball player.
I believe its a godly desire to strive and compete I'm certainly going to miss watching him play.

Whether you believe it or not life is a competition. Men compete for women, jobs and positions. I can't think of a better way to learn about this than through youth sports. I always tried to take the time and address the life lessons he could learn after all the little league games.

I also think God enjoys watching us compete and persevere in life, He allows us to fail, but gives us strength to get back up. He allows pain in the world. He seems to enjoy watching us all compete at life just like I enjoyed watching my son compete on the diamond.

Did he play for Vincent? I was sure pulling for them against Ariton.

No they are AIS

We played Patrician academy in AISA.

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days" Ray Wylie Hubbard
Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914746
05/23/23 05:23 PM
05/23/23 05:23 PM
Arab
oldknight Offline
6 point
oldknight  Offline
6 point
Arab
Man, I love it. Play ball!

"The Confederate army was not whipped; it simply wore itself out whipping the Yankees."
Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914781
05/23/23 06:29 PM
05/23/23 06:29 PM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Offline
10 point
Pwyse  Offline
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
I hate it when people talk about travel ball like every team, player, coach, and parent are the same. Travel ball isn’t ruining kids arms. Select parents and coaches are. Travel ball wasn’t invented to stroke parents egos, although for some parents it does. But you could say that about a ton of things. I’ve seen guys spend 75% of their paycheck on race car stuff. They will have a $150k race rig and don’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. If that’s what they wanna do more power to them. It’s their life they can do what they wish. To each his own. But like I said it ain’t for everyone. Nothing is. But don’t make generally derogatory statements about something that isn’t necessarily true. If park ball fits your kid better than travel ball by all means do it. But don’t down the travel ball group just because it ain’t what you like.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914787
05/23/23 06:51 PM
05/23/23 06:51 PM
Central Al
twaldrop4 Offline
10 point
twaldrop4  Offline
10 point
Central Al
I respectfully disagree. Travel ball has killed decent community leagues in the name of “better competition”. Realistically 99+% of kids won’t play past high school. With a healthy park league there’s decent competition and then the all stars mean something. Most of the travel ball teams are parents mad that there kid didn’t get what the parent thought they should so they get mad and form a travel team OR they are looking for Facebook photo ops for kids to show off a World Series ring. Because there are 100 World Series now.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914789
05/23/23 06:53 PM
05/23/23 06:53 PM
Central Al
twaldrop4 Offline
10 point
twaldrop4  Offline
10 point
Central Al
And it’s not for college scholarships either because the money wasted on a little league baseball travel team could be a heck of a start towards a college fund and if they are good enough in high school a scout will pick them up.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: twaldrop4] #3914806
05/23/23 07:26 PM
05/23/23 07:26 PM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Offline
10 point
Pwyse  Offline
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted by twaldrop4
And it’s not for college scholarships either because the money wasted on a little league baseball travel team could be a heck of a start towards a college fund and if they are good enough in high school a scout will pick them up.

Baseball in general is not for scholarships. Especially D1. There aren’t enough of them. JUCO is a different story somewhat. But you are right, parents who aren’t educated on baseball talent and how scholarships work all generally think their kid will play ball in college. They usually get educated about freshman or sophomore year if they are in a decent highschool program. I had a freshman parent tell me one year, but my son has always played short stop and batted in the 3 hole. I said yeah man so did every other kid on this team. You wanna know why he’s batting 7th? Because he’s to good to be batting 8th!

I do disagree about a “scout” finding a kid in Highschool. Colleges usually don’t have scouts. The coaches have to go watch kids play. So how would a non local JUCO coach find out about a kid in a little 2A county school? He won’t. The coach is first going to get on PBR or some other service and look at scouting reports from showcases. Then, after he is done with his own baseball season, and highschool season has been over for a month, he will find out where the kid is playing summer ball at and go watch him play. Then if he like him he will ask him to come visit the school and workout with the team one day. If he still likes him he will offer him a scholarship or invite him to walk on.

The pipeline has changed in the last 15 years.

I agree that small ball park leagues are dying. Youth baseball just changed is all. Same kids playing, they just don’t play at the park anymore. They play in tournaments. And parks are full of parents mad because they didn’t get their way as well. That’s just parents period. From youth to highschool the parents are the same. There’s good parents and bad parents.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914862
05/23/23 08:50 PM
05/23/23 08:50 PM
Lee County
R
RCHRR Online content
14 point
RCHRR  Online Content
14 point
R
Lee County
Pwyse I’m in your corner with everything that you’ve said. I know when my son was playing (he played from when he 9-20yrs old) that was some of the best baseball I’ve ever seen. He played with a lot of the same guys and would be asked to fill in with different teams and made a ton of friends. His high school coach did more damage to the kids pitching arms than any travel team coach he played for. Sports are games of repetition. The more you play and compete at a higher level the better you get. Speaking of burn out. To avoid it the person playing has to be the judge as to when or how they want to do it. To this day my son still plays but on a different level, slower.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914873
05/23/23 09:06 PM
05/23/23 09:06 PM
GA
UncleHuck Offline
10 point
UncleHuck  Offline
10 point
GA

When my son first asked about baseball, I explained the fishing trips, camping trips, visits to see his grandparents, and Bible school that he would miss, and let him make the choice. He never played, and I never regretted the discussion.

Every parent has to make the right decisions regarding their own child. Try to leave your desires out of that process regarding sports.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: RCHRR] #3914874
05/23/23 09:09 PM
05/23/23 09:09 PM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Offline
10 point
Pwyse  Offline
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted by RCHRR
Pwyse I’m in your corner with everything that you’ve said. I know when my son was playing (he played from when he 9-20yrs old) that was some of the best baseball I’ve ever seen. He played with a lot of the same guys and would be asked to fill in with different teams and made a ton of friends. His high school coach did more damage to the kids pitching arms than any travel team coach he played for. Sports are games of repetition. The more you play and compete at a higher level the better you get. Speaking of burn out. To avoid it the person playing has to be the judge as to when or how they want to do it. To this day my son still plays but on a different level, slower.

It sounds like your son got the most important things from playing competitively. Lifelong friendships and life lessons.

Some highschool coaches put winning above everything. At some high level highschool programs if they don’t win they will be hunting a job. I’ve seen guys let a kid throw 90+ pitches and then catch the next game in a double header. I’m so glad the AHSAA went to an age appropriate pitch count. Arm care is getting more attention than it used to so a lot of these guys are starting to learn more about it which is key.

Also I didn’t know I had a corner. Monday morning can you give me a little mick pep talk and squirt some water in my face? Just to get ready for the week.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914876
05/23/23 09:16 PM
05/23/23 09:16 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

Make the most of it, and enjoy it as much as possible. Help your kid and the team with what you can. Make yourself comfortable with cooler, food, bevs, snacks, a tent if possible for shade, all the things.

These days will pass faster than you know it and be gone.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3914901
05/23/23 10:00 PM
05/23/23 10:00 PM
North of 459 South of 20
B
bhammedic84 Offline
8 point
bhammedic84  Offline
8 point
B
North of 459 South of 20
my son is 9 fixing to turn 10 in 4 days. he has been travel ball since he was 6 and he has loved every minute of it. we are in shelby co, but out travel team is in athens. 9U HITS Pinegar. Either my wife or I take him to practice once a week on Monday or Tuesday. The coach is top notch and is very understanding of the distance we travel to make practice and that if it is going to interfere with school and such we wont be there but that i will get the missed time with him at our local ball fields to make up for it. My son is asking me everyday are we going to the cages of fields to practice. The way i look at it is if he wants to go im taking him, if I ask and he says no then that is the end of the discussion. He is SS, pitcher and some 1B. The friends he has made with this current team will last a lifetime.

His last team that was in Shelby Co. about made him quite (coach). They were playing in a Halloween tournament and the coach wanted him to pitch, my son told him his are didn't feel right and he wasnt going to. Said coach proceeded to walk out to the mound and ask him what he said. He said he wasn't pitching cause his arm was not feeling well. (it was not injured) and coach went on to tell him " I dont give a f@&$ if your arm is bad you are pitching this game." this was said loud enough that the opposing team coaches head it. My son looked and said coach and simply put the ball at his feet and walked off the field after telling him he wasnt playing him anymore.

Luckily i wasnt able to attend that game or id have needed to have some bail money.

Turkey’s tell you when they want to die not lawmakers.
Re: All-Star Dads [Re: bhammedic84] #3914920
05/23/23 11:19 PM
05/23/23 11:19 PM
south of hills, north of plain...
R
RareBreed Offline
8 point
RareBreed  Offline
8 point
R
south of hills, north of plain...
I’ve been watching the SEC Baseball tournament today. It got me thinking, how many of these kids were involved in travel ball? I’m guessing most were. I know only a select few make it to that level but it obviously helped hone their skills.
I never even played T ball, much less any organized baseball, but loved football and especially basketball, where I spent many a Summer at any basketball camp I could attend between Atlanta and New Orleans. Loved every minute of it, and learned a lot about basketball and especially how to be part of a team. That’s now transitioned into how to maneuver through life, in my community, as an employee, husband, father, leader. Doesn’t have to be sports, as you can find it in Scouts, FFA, Church youth groups, etc.
Don’t let a few bad Apples define you, and give it a bad name.
I say have fun parents, and kids…set a goal and swing for the fences!

"I didnt mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot him once in the head and two times in the chest. Him dying was between he and the Lord."
Legendary bluesman R.L. Burnside
Re: All-Star Dads [Re: RareBreed] #3915049
05/24/23 09:18 AM
05/24/23 09:18 AM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Offline
10 point
Pwyse  Offline
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted by RareBreed
I’ve been watching the SEC Baseball tournament today. It got me thinking, how many of these kids were involved in travel ball? I’m guessing most were. I know only a select few make it to that level but it obviously helped hone their skills.

I would bet my paycheck that every single kid on those teams played some level of travel ball or showcase ball. Very few of those kids are on a full baseball scholarship. Most have a partial or walk on. That’s why it is so important to do well in school if you want to play college baseball. You almost have to get a good academic scholarship if you don’t want to come out of pocket. I think D1 get like 12 baseball scholarships if I remember correctly and JUCO gets 24. I may be wrong in that I been out of the loop for a few years.

Re: All-Star Dads [Re: dead_eye] #3915059
05/24/23 09:32 AM
05/24/23 09:32 AM
Madison
BowtechDan Offline
Old Mossy Horns
BowtechDan  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Madison

Nathan Carl Goff 19 Sept 2016 - 14 Jan 2017.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.