Went out to the club today, and sat on a greenfield. Most of you have heard me "discuss" my lease and the challenges there.

About 4:05, 2 deer walk out on the greenfield. Since I was a dummy and didn't bring bino's, I look thru the scope. Both are young, I could tell one for sure was a button. The other, could or couldn't. They were in the field for probably 15 minutes before I caught a glimpse of mama. She was super skittish. But eventually she to, came out on the field. I have a feeling someone has spooked deer from the shooting house, because she stayed glued to it, not that she could see me, only perhaps a nice AR10 poking out of it. Mama leaves, and then comes back. The young ones, they are gorging. They eventually leave.

By now its probably 4:45ish, and I can't see as good as I used to, but was like, dang, they came back. Pop the gun back out the front and zoom in, and its not a doe. It's probably a 2.5 year old 8pt. 13 in or so inside spread, maybe 3 in tall tines. Nice pretty symetrical rack. Then I drop the phone..... Buck was chowing down, but decides to study for a minute and goes back to chowing down. Since bucks are still running together on my lease, I start looking around for another one, and see a 4 pt too. They left as well, following the path the doe and babies went.

That's the positive progress. I have cut down the members. I have planted perennial plots. I have cut the killing doe's off green fields. Now if I can get them to let this 8 grow a little. I was encouraged to see 4 deer on a very small plot last weekend with my son, and I had 5 out on another plot a couple nights ago, these were doe's, and they were healthy. While I am not convinced my numbers of deer are where I would like them, I also realize the thinning this summer probably doesn't help us as much as it will next year, when some of it grows up and offers the deer some cover.

I hope this is a sign we are turning the corner a little and moving the right direction.