</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
WTB - Browning Maxus
by Okatuppa. 04/26/24 11:25 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
104 registered members (BrandonClark, Bowfish, Bustinbeards, Turkey Petter, JohnnyLoco, top cat, Downwind, RSF, TurkeyJoe, JohnG, Dragfan66, BamaBoHunter, turfarmer, SEWoodsWhitetail, walt4dun, BayedUp, Hunter454, AMB, RidgeRanger, Bread, mossyback, TexasHuntress, AustinC, CeeHawk37, billrv, 3bailey3, dagwood, mccarrc, Dubie, BAR1225, FreeStateHunter, coldtrail, DoubleB, BhamFred, klay, Mdees, JCL, akbejeepin, AJones, Whiskey9, rickyh_2, Geeb, MikeP, Forrestgump1, BCLC, Coosa1, bamaeyedoc, GomerPyle, 163dm, Turkeyneck78, Mike59, Stickers, Andalusia, CrappieMan, HoofNSpur, XVIII, trlrdrdave, wk2hnt, JLMiller, fillmore, TideWJO, Madmax0818, mcninja, M48scout, jbatey1, clayk, Chipnalong, BamaGuitarDude, Darrylcom, goodman_hunter, furnfeather, Showout, sj22, weatherby, coonhunterrn, Chiller, JB71, treemydog, 3Gs, MTeague, Gunner211, Turberville, Buckwheat, SouthBamaSlayer, Ryano, T Bone, woodduck, Solothurn, Thread Killer, Droptine-13, need2hunt, mzzy, Etyson, cartervj, 10 invisible), 829 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
reducing harvest #3668557
05/10/22 09:12 PM
05/10/22 09:12 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline OP
12 point
gobbler  Offline OP
12 point
South Alabama
IF and I emphasize IF, the Department wants to reduce the harvest of gobblers and IF not killing dominant gobblers is high priority I would think that this would make more sense than a shortened season and lower limit. The removal of the 5th bird from the limit saves 1,000 to 1,300 birds across the state and those birds would certainly be harvested late in the season totally going against what they say the problem is. Regardless, it is an insignificant number. Outlawing decoys and the possession of a fan, along with making the use of corn in turkey season a SERIOUS fine would severely discourage "deer hunting" turkeys and field/blind hunting. It would make it simply harder for those not interested in turkey hunting to kill a turkey. It would take the number of people killing one down significantly. Depending on how you count, over half of the turkeys killed are killed by those killing one, some 13-14,000 dead turkeys. Even if this harvest was reduced by 25% it would still save over 3,000 gobblers - far more than reducing a limit.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3668573
05/10/22 09:27 PM
05/10/22 09:27 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Killing gobblers in the Spring doesn’t do anything to the population of turkeys, so allowing all that stuff shouldn’t matter.

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3668594
05/10/22 09:49 PM
05/10/22 09:49 PM
Clanton
Turkey_neck Offline
Booner
Turkey_neck  Offline
Booner
Clanton
Getting a baiting ticket will slow some down. Said person killed 5 last year and 1 this year after getting popped for Corning.

Would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobblin turkey!
Re: reducing harvest [Re: N2TRKYS] #3668597
05/10/22 09:57 PM
05/10/22 09:57 PM
Hoover (poor section)
J
Johnal3 Offline
it froze over
Johnal3  Offline
it froze over
J
Hoover (poor section)
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Killing gobblers in the Spring doesn’t do anything to the population of turkeys, so allowing all that stuff shouldn’t matter.

Brad, it’s hard to tell when you’re being sarcastic or not, but that’s what we’ve heard over the years. I’m not so sure the population as a whole is down, but gobbling turkeys sure are and has been for several years. I’m guessing you’ve experienced it also to some degree if you hunted in the early 2000’s and before. It sure does line up with decoys, fanning, and the craze of posting turkey pics and videos. I’ll admit, I’m taking a stab at it being that (I know there are many other things to go along with it), but that’s the simplest thing to control. Not everybody has time to trap. Nobody can convince the timber companies to manage more for quail/turkey habitat than growing those golden pine trees. People that can kill in the double digits every year will still do it, even if they drop to one a year. The only way I see to take a large number of turkeys out of the “dead population” is to do away with fanning and decoys. It’ll create a better experience for the people that truly care about turkeys. Maybe that’s selfish. I don’t know. But when people like gobbler who spend their life managing, studying, and hunting turkeys speaks, I think we should all consider what they’re saying as something to listen to. It’s not the state trying to fulfill an agenda. It’s somebody that gives a crap about the resource.

Originally Posted by BPS
This is Aldeer! The place people come to vent their frustrations and completely change their stance a few minutes later... grin
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3668601
05/10/22 10:10 PM
05/10/22 10:10 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Gobbler,,, I rather they do that than reduce the limit .

I don't use or do those things any way . Lol

I go hunting I take a couple calls and gun ,,,, hand full of shells.

Course the 357 is standard wear. grin

Re: reducing harvest [Re: Johnal3] #3668603
05/10/22 10:12 PM
05/10/22 10:12 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted by Johnal3

Brad, it’s hard to tell when you’re being sarcastic or not, but that’s what we’ve heard over the years. I’m not so sure the population as a whole is down, but gobbling turkeys sure are and has been for several years. I’m guessing you’ve experienced it also to some degree if you hunted in the early 2000’s and before. It sure does line up with decoys, fanning, and the craze of posting turkey pics and videos. I’ll admit, I’m taking a stab at it being that (I know there are many other things to go along with it), but that’s the simplest thing to control. Not everybody has time to trap. Nobody can convince the timber companies to manage more for quail/turkey habitat than growing those golden pine trees. People that can kill in the double digits every year will still do it, even if they drop to one a year. The only way I see to take a large number of turkeys out of the “dead population” is to do away with fanning and decoys. It’ll create a better experience for the people that truly care about turkeys. Maybe that’s selfish. I don’t know. But when people like gobbler who spend their life managing, studying, and hunting turkeys speaks, I think we should all consider what they’re saying as something to listen to. It’s not the state trying to fulfill an agenda. It’s somebody that gives a crap about the resource.

I’m been saying this for years and everybody thought it was funny. Now THEY think it’s a problem, so we need to dictate how others should hunt. Folks can miss me with their crap now.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3668606
05/10/22 10:15 PM
05/10/22 10:15 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Damn ,,,, I been waiting on them to lower the limit and making center fire rifles legal . whistle

Re: reducing harvest [Re: N2TRKYS] #3668615
05/10/22 10:41 PM
05/10/22 10:41 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline OP
12 point
gobbler  Offline OP
12 point
South Alabama

I’m been saying this for years and everybody thought it was funny. Now THEY think it’s a problem, so we need to dictate how others should hunt. Folks can miss me with their crap now.

Note the use of the word IF and the emphasis on the word IF to go along with "the department wants to reduce gobbler harvest and especially "dominant" gobbler harvest." I don't think shortening the season or lowering the limit will help anything. But the Department does and they make the rules.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: reducing harvest [Re: N2TRKYS] #3668617
05/10/22 10:44 PM
05/10/22 10:44 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County

You’ve also been saying for years that the state should allow a person to kill their season quota of 5 gobblers all in the same day.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3668661
05/11/22 06:45 AM
05/11/22 06:45 AM
Alabama
D
doghouse Offline
4 point
doghouse  Offline
4 point
D
Alabama
Decoys and fans—take it or leave it as far as I’m concerned. I don’t use either. Personal preference. I was taught how to hunt without them and have been doing fine for a few decades that way. I can understand someone with a physical handicap wanting to use decoys because they can’t walk and are not able to have numerous setups on a gobbler if that’s what it takes. On the flip side for someone that is physically able then I don’t think decoys or fans should be used. Once again—personal preference. If you’re really serious about turkey population in Alabama then why not stop turkey hunting at 12 or 1 o’clock everyday? Odds are if you find a gobbling bird at 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon you have a dang good chance of shooting him in the face. No it doesn’t always work like that and I don’t know if there’s enough gobblers killed in the afternoon to make a difference here. A lot better odds than earlier in the morning anyway. I can’t count how many times I’ve got on a gobbler first thing in the morning and things not work out but go back later in the day and end up carrying him home with me. If you end turkey hunting at such and such time everyday your chances of bumping a hen off her nest decrease as well. Maybe that would help here, maybe it wouldn’t. Just another suggestion. I do know several states I’ve hunted turkeys in that you can’t hunt them all day has some pretty good turkey numbers. And yes I totally agree ants, predators, and timber management are huge problems too. There are numerous ways to help the turkey population here, but until there’s someone that has the authority to do so and actually cares about the turkey population here it doesn’t mean anything.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3668701
05/11/22 08:10 AM
05/11/22 08:10 AM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
What a great idea Gobbler. Go back to the way Alabama always did it in the past when we had long seasons and liberal limits and plenty of turkeys. I think that idea is just crazy enough to work

Re: reducing harvest [Re: N2TRKYS] #3668708
05/11/22 08:27 AM
05/11/22 08:27 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

I've been blessed to hunt the same tract of land every year for over 50 years and all of my experience says this is true. And it used to be what the state dcnr said was true, and I've never seen any evidence that proves that it isn't true. As I have said many times - forget about proving that hunting too early in the year reduces poult production. How about first of all finding evidence that spring gobbler hunting reduces poult production, period. I've never seen that evidence, and I don't believe that any exists. If they had it, we would be bombarded with it.

If spring gobbler hunting reduces poult production, it should be easy to prove that that areas with no hunting have much higher poult production rates. There are lots of such places. I asked Dr. Chamberlain on Twitter a couple of years ago how much higher the recruitment rate was on unhunted land, and he had no answer. He said he was starting a study on a military base, but I haven't heard any more about those results than I have of the years of study that he already has on the WMAs in GA that have a later start.

If you don't have as many turkeys as you used to have, it's not due to decoys, TSS, poachers, or any of the other things regarding hunting that we constantly hear about. It is entirely due to changes in the habitat. And the habitat is changed daily by a whole lot of factors - timber practices, farming practices, chicken litter, weather, and predator populations cover most of it, but there are probably others. I think y'all are starting to think exactly the way the state wants you to think when you talk about hunting methods ruining turkey flocks. If your neighbor kills a turkey using a decoy, that takes away the opportunity you might have had to call him up later, but I think it's very unlikely that is going to result in fewer poults in June.

Gobbler started this thread with an "If" the department wants to reduce the harvest. I understand that, but I don't think that should be the goal. I suppose their rationale is that they want to spread the harvest out among more hunters, thus keeping more people interested and selling more hunting licenses. There is no money for them in letting one man kill 5 turkeys. This is the force that is driving everything.

My observation is that turkey populations are as high, or maybe even higher, in areas with good habitat than they have ever been. One area that I hunt was devoid of turkeys this spring, and I think that was entirely due to the timber practices.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: reducing harvest [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3668719
05/11/22 08:39 AM
05/11/22 08:39 AM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I've been blessed to hunt the same tract of land every year for over 50 years and all of my experience says this is true. And it used to be what the state dcnr said was true, and I've never seen any evidence that proves that it isn't true. As I have said many times - forget about proving that hunting too early in the year reduces poult production. How about first of all finding evidence that spring gobbler hunting reduces poult production, period. I've never seen that evidence, and I don't believe that any exists. If they had it, we would be bombarded with it.

If spring gobbler hunting reduces poult production, it should be easy to prove that that areas with no hunting have much higher poult production rates. There are lots of such places. I asked Dr. Chamberlain on Twitter a couple of years ago how much higher the recruitment rate was on unhunted land, and he had no answer. He said he was starting a study on a military base, but I haven't heard any more about those results than I have of the years of study that he already has on the WMAs in GA that have a later start.

If you don't have as many turkeys as you used to have, it's not due to decoys, TSS, poachers, or any of the other things regarding hunting that we constantly hear about. It is entirely due to changes in the habitat. And the habitat is changed daily by a whole lot of factors - timber practices, farming practices, chicken litter, weather, and predator populations cover most of it, but there are probably others. I think y'all are starting to think exactly the way the state wants you to think when you talk about hunting methods ruining turkey flocks. If your neighbor kills a turkey using a decoy, that takes away the opportunity you might have had to call him up later, but I think it's very unlikely that is going to result in fewer poults in June.

Gobbler started this thread with an "If" the department wants to reduce the harvest. I understand that, but I don't think that should be the goal. I suppose their rationale is that they want to spread the harvest out among more hunters, thus keeping more people interested and selling more hunting licenses. There is no money for them in letting one man kill 5 turkeys. This is the force that is driving everything.

My observation is that turkey populations are as high, or maybe even higher, in areas with good habitat than they have ever been. One area that I hunt was devoid of turkeys this spring, and I think that was entirely due to the timber practices.

Thank you.
I hunt the same places my grandparents hunted and we have almost zero impact on the turkey population. Weather, habitat, and natural mortality causes are the drivers.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3668740
05/11/22 09:03 AM
05/11/22 09:03 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
. It is entirely due to changes in the habitat.

Question PCP.......If there weren't any predators then would prime habitat matter??

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: CNC] #3668768
05/11/22 09:35 AM
05/11/22 09:35 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by CNC
. It is entirely due to changes in the habitat.

Question PCP.......If there weren't any predators then would prime habitat matter??

That's an impossibility, and I don't know the answer. There have always been predators. Even back in the Indian days there were plenty of predators, probably a lot more than now. But those burned woods produced that native grass that you like and gave the hens and poults a place to hide. Still, I don't doubt that most of the eggs and most of the poults were eaten by predators. That's the way it's always been and always will be.

I don't know how the eggheads classify it, but I count predators as part of the habitat. And I think it's great to remove as many as you can. I still think providing the hens and poults a place to hide is more important than the number of predators, but I could be wrong. No reason to not do both.

Last edited by poorcountrypreacher; 05/11/22 09:36 AM.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: reducing harvest [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #3668777
05/11/22 09:46 AM
05/11/22 09:46 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL

That's an impossibility, and I don't know the answer. There have always been predators. Even back in the Indian days there were plenty of predators, probably a lot more than now. But those burned woods produced that native grass that you like and gave the hens and poults a place to hide. Still, I don't doubt that most of the eggs and most of the poults were eaten by predators. That's the way it's always been and always will be.

I don't know how the eggheads classify it, but I count predators as part of the habitat. And I think it's great to remove as many as you can. I still think providing the hens and poults a place to hide is more important than the number of predators, but I could be wrong. No reason to not do both.

I’m using an extreme here just to describe the concept so we can then back it off to our more realistic situation…..

But lets say hypothetically that we removed all turkey predators from Alabama…..In this case I think you would agree that turkey populations would spread out and exist in all types of marginal habitats….If there’s nothing to catch them and eat their eggs then cover doesn’t really matter…..they have nothing to hide from......Now lets take our scenario and start adding predators into the mix like we’re slowly turning up the dial on a radio…..The higher and higher we turn that dial the more and more our turkey population will shrink down to only the areas with PRIME habitat……The higher the predator count the more important prime cover becomes…..So in our real world scenario now of where we sit today…..Which would be easier and more feasible to adjust???…..Converting 1000’s of acres of land back into prime habitat or creating a trapping incentive for turning back the predator dial??...... smile

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: BrentM] #3668806
05/11/22 10:41 AM
05/11/22 10:41 AM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted by BrentM

You’ve also been saying for years that the state should allow a person to kill their season quota of 5 gobblers all in the same day.

If killing gobblers in the Spring doesn’t effect the population, then why not? It either does or it doesn’t. You can’t have it both ways.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: doghouse] #3668947
05/11/22 02:23 PM
05/11/22 02:23 PM
White Plains Alabama
cgardner Offline
10 point
cgardner  Offline
10 point
White Plains Alabama
Originally Posted by doghouse
Decoys and fans—take it or leave it as far as I’m concerned. I don’t use either. Personal preference. I was taught how to hunt without them and have been doing fine for a few decades that way. I can understand someone with a physical handicap wanting to use decoys because they can’t walk and are not able to have numerous setups on a gobbler if that’s what it takes. On the flip side for someone that is physically able then I don’t think decoys or fans should be used. Once again—personal preference. If you’re really serious about turkey population in Alabama then why not stop turkey hunting at 12 or 1 o’clock everyday? Odds are if you find a gobbling bird at 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon you have a dang good chance of shooting him in the face. No it doesn’t always work like that and I don’t know if there’s enough gobblers killed in the afternoon to make a difference here. A lot better odds than earlier in the morning anyway. I can’t count how many times I’ve got on a gobbler first thing in the morning and things not work out but go back later in the day and end up carrying him home with me. If you end turkey hunting at such and such time everyday your chances of bumping a hen off her nest decrease as well. Maybe that would help here, maybe it wouldn’t. Just another suggestion. I do know several states I’ve hunted turkeys in that you can’t hunt them all day has some pretty good turkey numbers. And yes I totally agree ants, predators, and timber management are huge problems too. There are numerous ways to help the turkey population here, but until there’s someone that has the authority to do so and actually cares about the turkey population here it doesn’t mean anything.

Killed 3 this year. Decoys we’re not used on any of them.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669063
05/11/22 04:19 PM
05/11/22 04:19 PM
kyles
K
kyles Offline
8 point
kyles  Offline
8 point
K
kyles
why don't we outlaw calls too ?

Re: reducing harvest [Re: kyles] #3669072
05/11/22 04:38 PM
05/11/22 04:38 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Originally Posted by kyles
why don't we outlaw calls too ?

Works for me

First three I killed I had no calls

Last edited by Frankie; 05/11/22 04:39 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.