</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mission SUB 1 XR Trade or Sale
by AL18. 04/28/24 10:36 AM
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Forever wild gun regs.
by N2TRKYS. 04/28/24 01:25 PM
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
101 registered members (BigEd, snakebit, jhardy, TensawRiver, cdaddy14, CrappieMan, Chad Burnette, Peach, geeb1, chill, BrowningGuy88, Turkey, alhawk, BCLC, Mike32, 700ltr308, MS_Hunter, Crawfish, 000buck, 10mm, CCC, quickshot, outdoorguy88, CouchNapper, coachg34, skoor, mauvilla, Sasquatch Lives, Camden86, Squeaky, Richard Cranium, Fishhead706, BigA47, 3Gs, Okalona, Parker243, goodman_hunter, Bread, Atoler, Luxfisher, TamaDrumhead, Mmiller, Shmoe, Big AL 76, CNC, Ten37, beetrapper, jake5050, icducks, Antelope08, hunterturf, Ant67, BrandonClark, Downwind, Gunpowder, Mansfield, fillmore, JustHunt, !shiloh!, Cynical, HURRICANE, Chaser357, sanderson, Ben2, XVIII, aucivil, Hunting15, aucountry, BPI, Chancetribe, Overland, Turkeyneck78, HoofNSpur, Bustinbeards, coldtrail, dawgdr, turfarmer, Morris, Remington270, Hoytdad10, 3006bullet, BobK, Scooter7, Mbrock, Rebelhunter_21, Canterberry, Gunner211, 14 invisible), 975 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: BrentM] #3667566
05/09/22 04:17 PM
05/09/22 04:17 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
12 point
turkey247  Offline
12 point
LASW
Originally Posted by BrentM
Strange that we are seeing so many early poults this year. Maybe it’s because the dominant gobbler had 10 extra days to do his job.

Not when they are running around mid April, but I get the angle. You and I probably disagree about DGB exactly. But we probably agree on the need for zones. Like I stated previously - DGB believers should be advocating zones to prove the theory. The 3 states most affected, IMO, by geography and green up, are GA, AL, and MS. Those 3 southern states cannot have a single season structure. It’s counter to the theory on its face.

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: AC870] #3667591
05/09/22 04:48 PM
05/09/22 04:48 PM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
come on now 24/7. Dont be trying to bring logic into a turkey hunting conversation and especially dont try to bring logic into anything that chuckie, the cab and their minions do.

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: AC870] #3667630
05/09/22 05:57 PM
05/09/22 05:57 PM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
14 point
ridgestalker  Offline
14 point
R
North Jackson
Make decoys illegal all season like it use to be.That will save a ton of those Toms with a dozen hens in a hayfield that use to be almost impossible to kill til the end of the season. The WMA laws are just sorry for a resident hunter that tries to stay within the law.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: AC870] #3667655
05/09/22 06:40 PM
05/09/22 06:40 PM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
I haven’t read this whole thread so someone else may have said it. Moving days off the beginning and adding them to the end was done for one reason and one reason only….. to reduce the overall harvest in the state. They had two options, reduce the limit, or do what they did. They chose the latter because it would receive the least reaction from the hunters.

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: ridgestalker] #3667658
05/09/22 06:47 PM
05/09/22 06:47 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Originally Posted by ridgestalker
Make decoys illegal all season like it use to be.That will save a ton of those Toms with a dozen hens in a hayfield that use to be almost impossible to kill til the end of the season. The WMA laws are just sorry for a resident hunter that tries to stay within the law.

And tss shot . Lol

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: AC870] #3667660
05/09/22 06:50 PM
05/09/22 06:50 PM
In the woods
H
Here4fun Offline
8 point
Here4fun  Offline
8 point
H
In the woods
I am sorry but if you guys think decoys are the problem I have to laugh. They use them all over the country. And have no problem.

Around here they see them, they turn and head the other way. I dont use them myself. I think I used them twice this year. And when a henned up dominant gobbler saw them in a big pasture he turned and walked back into the swamp. Same experience my neighbors have had.

The second time I used them same thing and I had to run out and grab them and stuff them back into my vest. Yeah...Dominant gobblers just leave a bunch of hens and run into them. And risk losing all their hens? That is just silly.

The problem is ONLY LEGAL HUNTERS did not hunt March 20th. Heck we were chasing trespassing poachers here on March darn 2nd and Yall think decoys are the problem?

The problem in Alabama is POACHERS, out of season hunting, as in March 1st or when deer season ends and the ENDLESS amount of bait in the Alabama woods.

Sorry to tell you, but I am not from Bama and but have lived here 21 years. This is the most bait slinging state I have ever seen when and where bait is illegal. And I have hunted all over this country. Sorry but it is the truth. I know people doing burns and they say the woods is littered with bait. They hunted on me. I told them finnd some bait Ill sign you over my darn truck title. And it is a nice truck!

It is ridiculous. If you had a bunch of gobblers until you pulled your feeders and stopped feeding 20 days before the season, than lost them all...well yall know why.

I know why and hunt accordingly. My neighbors pour it to them and I hunt 35 yards from their line and pull the birds across or if they roosted on me headed to their piles I'm between them. And I own a ton of land. Why dont I hunt the rest. The turkeys are no longer there. They are concentrated around the neighbors bait. I am sorry but it is true.

Do I know the bait is there? No..I dont trespass. But when I see folks driving around at noon in a side by side with a big darn blue barrel in the back of their UTV or four red and white bags labeled WILD BIRD SEED I can put two and two together. slap

All my first three gobblers came from hunting different property lines of my neighbors as once we pulled our feeders all the gobblers were gobbling from 4 spots. All where I suspect neighbors feed.

If Fish and Game REALLY wanted to make a dam difference, instead of WASTING millions of tax payers dollars on stupid theories and study they would instead hire 20 new wardens and address the poaching, baiting and out of season hunting problems. That is what is actually killing Alabamas turkeys. And they do not even have close enough Wardens to address it. They are all over worked and under paid.

One ex F and G employee I know told me someone was telling him how he and one friend shot 17 gobblers while sitting together! And Yall think a decoy is the problem? SMDH! slap

The people with No limits, no seasons and no dam scruples are the problem. Stop the nonsense about decoys or dominant gobblers and try addressing reality.

Sorry rant and REALITY CHECK over.

Last edited by Here4fun; 05/09/22 06:57 PM.
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: Frankie] #3667665
05/09/22 07:00 PM
05/09/22 07:00 PM
In the woods
H
Here4fun Offline
8 point
Here4fun  Offline
8 point
H
In the woods
Originally Posted by Frankie

And tss shot . Lol

Frankie! You should know better. Some of these guys like that TSS.

You can only outlaw things the same guys dont like. Kind of like dems up in here sometimes isnt it with their picking and choosing of what to outlaw. Only things they DONT like or use though. slap rofl loco

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: turkey247] #3667672
05/09/22 07:09 PM
05/09/22 07:09 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
Originally Posted by turkey247
Strange that we are seeing so many early poults this year. Maybe it’s because the dominant gobbler had 10 extra days to do his job.

Not when they are running around mid April, but I get the angle. You and I probably disagree about DGB exactly. But we probably agree on the need for zones. Like I stated previously - DGB believers should be advocating zones to prove the theory. The 3 states most affected, IMO, by geography and green up, are GA, AL, and MS. Those 3 southern states cannot have a single season structure. It’s counter to the theory on its face.

I’ve always said alabama needs a minimum of 2 but preferably 3 zones for turkeys. It’s a heckuva long way latitude wise and springtime wise from the gulf coast to the Cumberland plateau. I’ve been on youth hunts when it was 17 degrees, hunted in sleet and heavy snow before on March 15. It’s different up here and I’ve always said our turkey season should mimic the Tennesse season.
Heck back in my younger days before the statute of limitations ran out some of the best Alabama turkey hunts I’ve ever witnessed took place in the first 10 days of May.
Here’s the difference in Alabama and the yankee states………. Them people don’t care about turkeys. They got a 3 week season that starts late and they sit in their tent and kill their 2 gobblers over a decoy the first 2 times they go and spend the rest of the year ice fishing and talking about how stupid turkeys are.
Alabama is special because before decoys and fans we had to do it the right way. It’s not easy to kill 5 turkeys the right way so we had long liberal seasons. Now in the decoy and fan era; Lonnie Sixpack can sit in his tent and kill 3 or 4 then ride the roads with a fan and kill half a dozen more. This has gone on for a few years and now we don’t have turkeys anymore.
So we either have to get rid of fans and decoys or go to a 3 week 2 bird season like the Yankees do if we are ever gonna get our turkeys back.
It’s just that simple. I’m like 10 Bears from Josey Wales. There is iron in my words. I’m speaking the truth. If somebody don’t like me for telling the truth I don’t care because if you gotta have a fan or a gobbler decoy or a cell camera to kill a turkey I wouldn’t hunt with you for a thousand dollars in cash anyway. Ridgestalker is one of the best turkey hunters on this planet. He’s telling you the same thing. Listen to him Montgomery. Get rid of the decoys and we get our turkeys back. It’s that simple.

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: Here4fun] #3667697
05/09/22 07:45 PM
05/09/22 07:45 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by Here4fun
I am sorry but if you guys think decoys are the problem I have to laugh.

The impact of decoys appears pretty blatant when looking at the harvest numbers for the year's surrounding their legalization ...

[Linked Image]

We dont rent pigs
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: CNC] #3667858
05/09/22 10:39 PM
05/09/22 10:39 PM
In the woods
H
Here4fun Offline
8 point
Here4fun  Offline
8 point
H
In the woods
Originally Posted by CNC
I am sorry but if you guys think decoys are the problem I have to laugh.

The impact of decoys appears pretty blatant when looking at the harvest numbers for the year's surrounding their legalization ...

[Linked Image]

LOL is all Im saying

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: BrentM] #3667861
05/09/22 10:51 PM
05/09/22 10:51 PM
In the woods
H
Here4fun Offline
8 point
Here4fun  Offline
8 point
H
In the woods
Originally Posted by turkey247

I’ve always said alabama needs a minimum of 2 but preferably 3 zones for turkeys. It’s a heckuva long way latitude wise and springtime wise from the gulf coast to the Cumberland plateau. I’ve been on youth hunts when it was 17 degrees, hunted in sleet and heavy snow before on March 15. It’s different up here and I’ve always said our turkey season should mimic the Tennesse season.
Heck back in my younger days before the statute of limitations ran out some of the best Alabama turkey hunts I’ve ever witnessed took place in the first 10 days of May.
Here’s the difference in Alabama and the yankee states………. Them people don’t care about turkeys. They got a 3 week season that starts late and they sit in their tent and kill their 2 gobblers over a decoy the first 2 times they go and spend the rest of the year ice fishing and talking about how stupid turkeys are.
Alabama is special because before decoys and fans we had to do it the right way. It’s not easy to kill 5 turkeys the right way so we had long liberal seasons. Now in the decoy and fan era; Lonnie Sixpack can sit in his tent and kill 3 or 4 then ride the roads with a fan and kill half a dozen more. This has gone on for a few years and now we don’t have turkeys anymore.
So we either have to get rid of fans and decoys or go to a 3 week 2 bird season like the Yankees do if we are ever gonna get our turkeys back.
It’s just that simple. I’m like 10 Bears from Josey Wales. There is iron in my words. I’m speaking the truth. If somebody don’t like me for telling the truth I don’t care because if you gotta have a fan or a gobbler decoy or a cell camera to kill a turkey I wouldn’t hunt with you for a thousand dollars in cash anyway. Ridgestalker is one of the best turkey hunters on this planet. He’s telling you the same thing. Listen to him Montgomery. Get rid of the decoys and we get our turkeys back. It’s that simple.

So Brent..youre saying youve never fanned one ? Or hunted with people and done it? Never used a decoy? Just asking....

To be honest I might have fanned just a few in my life, but most of the times it didnt work. But heck yea Ive tried. Shot two or three too. Told the story here as well. Posted the pics too. Under a different name though.

And Ive run decoys before but not worth the hassle IMO though I have friends that swear by them.

Mine were free and twenty year old buck wings. Back then I thought they were something until I saw my buddies AvainX. Thing looked great. He stuck it out there about a week ago and we didnt see a dam bird though.Heck..we were even in a dam tent blind. Wew were waiting for a kamikaze domint bird. Guess there were none around dang it!

And I hunted all over the North..from Maine, NH, VT, Ma. NY , PA, Ohio, Wyoming, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois... and too be honest never saw so many tents set up until I hunted Bama. Every dang food plot on every club Ive ever joined.. Look out in front of them and a pile of seed is somewhere in that food plot too. Truth.

But the simple fact is bait, blinds, folks starting March 1st, stop and dropping other folks land while freaking when it happens to them... over looking them and outlaws are indeed the biggest problem in Alabama and until folks decide to address that yall just pissing in the wind.

Anyone thinking it is decoys or Dominant gobblers really need to look a little further. And maybe into the mirror. shocked

Last edited by Here4fun; 05/09/22 11:24 PM.
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: Here4fun] #3667864
05/09/22 11:03 PM
05/09/22 11:03 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County

And tss shot . Lol

You can only outlaw things the same guys dont like. Kind of like dems up in here sometimes isnt it with their picking and choosing of what to outlaw. Only things they DONT like or use though. slap rofl loco

I bet they like them 6.5 gaymoores too lol

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: AC870] #3667867
05/09/22 11:16 PM
05/09/22 11:16 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
What is Dr Chamberlain theory on satellite gobblers breeding hens

Last edited by Frankie; 05/09/22 11:18 PM.
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: Frankie] #3667868
05/09/22 11:21 PM
05/09/22 11:21 PM
In the woods
H
Here4fun Offline
8 point
Here4fun  Offline
8 point
H
In the woods

And tss shot . Lol

I bet they like them 6.5 gaymoores too lol

Hell theyll use em on turkeys too but never say a thing...Got em with their 410s and their TSS! slap rofl After fanning them too no freaking doubt. Telling like it is!

Last edited by Here4fun; 05/09/22 11:26 PM.
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: AC870] #3667870
05/09/22 11:33 PM
05/09/22 11:33 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Turkeys will drive you to do crazy things .

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: Frankie] #3667877
05/10/22 12:22 AM
05/10/22 12:22 AM
In the woods
H
Here4fun Offline
8 point
Here4fun  Offline
8 point
H
In the woods

Nah, not me but some folks surely. Make them think THEIR way of hunting is the only way. and lets outlaw all others. Silly isnt it? Dam, Imagine that.
rofl

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: Here4fun] #3667884
05/10/22 01:31 AM
05/10/22 01:31 AM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County

Nah, not me but some folks surely. Make them think THEIR way of hunting is the only way. and lets outlaw all others. Silly isnt it? Dam, Imagine that.
rofl

Lol yeah they will . I was told one time on friday if I didn't show up for work on a Saturday not to come back Monday . End of the day I loaded up my tools boxes on my truck .

Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: AC870] #3667899
05/10/22 06:17 AM
05/10/22 06:17 AM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
14 point
ridgestalker  Offline
14 point
R
North Jackson
Lord willing if I make it to 70 plus years old I hope I don’t talk and like I’m 15.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: Here4fun] #3667988
05/10/22 08:30 AM
05/10/22 08:30 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe
Dominant gobbler Theory

OK I've seen this a couple times on here .

What are yall talking about ?

A Dr Chamberlain of Georgia had espoused the theory that if the dominant gobbler gets killed early in the season, it retards the breeding cycle in the flock and is detrimental to the population. I disagree based on my personal experience.

Yea he espoused this theory because every other theory in hunting has been studied, written on and published in hunting magazines like Turkey and Turkey Hunting and Turkey Call and Outdoor Life for the past 50 years ad nauseum and he had to try to come up with a "New spin" and some new idea that hasnt been discussed yearly in every turkey hunting publication.

That is my "Theory" on his idiotic "Theory" only mine is more based on more "facts" than his. rofl

I think that is a good theory on his theory. smile

In any academic discipline, the only way to make a name for yourself is to come up with something new. It doesn't matter a whole lot whether it's true or not; it just needs to be something different enough to get your colleagues to talk about it, and if you are lucky enough, let it filter down to the public. I couldn't have named very many turkey biologists before Chamberlain came along, but now most turkey hunters know who he is. His career really took off when he started using social media to promote his ideas, and a certain segment believed everything he says.

Bible scholars very much know how to use the idea of something new to make themselves famous and leverage that to a better job. There's not much about the Bible that hasn't been studied endlessly, so it's a challenge to come up with something new, but some of them manage to do it. Those biblical theories don't have much affect on the rest of us. Unfortunately, the turkey theories do.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Season Dates - I’m Jusf Gonna Say It [Re: AC870] #3670671
05/14/22 02:59 AM
05/14/22 02:59 AM
Clayton, AL
B
BC_Reb Offline
8 point
BC_Reb  Offline
8 point
B
Clayton, AL
The most humane way of killing them is with #9 tss at 30 steps

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.