</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTT/WTS Tikka TX3 Lite 243
by Duck Engr. 05/16/24 04:17 PM
ROCK ISLAND ULTRA FS 10MM 1911
by trailertrash. 05/16/24 01:42 PM
1095 CLEAVER FOR SALE
by Skullworks. 05/16/24 07:17 AM
FS: ROCK ISLAND ROCK ULTRA FS 10MM 1911
by FreeStateHunter. 05/15/24 06:59 PM
FS: Savage 110 Trail Hunter in .243
by FreeStateHunter. 05/15/24 06:54 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Research Update
by BAR1225. 05/16/24 02:54 PM
Tennessee
by jawbone. 05/15/24 12:24 PM
Taxidermist called
by Big Game Hunter. 05/15/24 12:13 AM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by TDog93. 05/13/24 09:11 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TDog93. 05/12/24 07:06 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Who's Online Now
92 registered members (aubigmac, Dilbert, Chickenrig, Whitetaillane, Skillet, oldforester, jprice, Squadron77, BPI, rblaker, coosabuckhunter, BCLC, bug54, cch, clayk, Mulcher, GUT_SHOT, jwalker77, Cuz-Pat, chill, sportrep, slippinlipjr, abolt300, Bustinbeards, dave260rem!, AustinC, jellyhead11, Skullworks, kyles, crenshawco, snakebit, Hammertime7v2, TurkeyJoe, HHSyelper, Young20, UncleHuck, Goatkiller, skoor, Ron Brown, Canterberry, Tall Dog, Mbrock, Jwillbucks, Fattyfireplug, top cat, Dixiepatriot, AUjerbear, BAR1225, Buckwheat, oakachoy, Ridge Life, Steve Ditchkoff, duxlayer, Andalusia, Jdkprp70, Shaneomac2, CNC, MIB, low wall, mopar, RCHRR, Narrow Gap, M48scout, Ar-Humter, Herdbull, GomerPyle, Sgiles, Chiller, Ron A., Bread, k bush, Paxamus, BhamFred, Rooster600, Brian_C, beeline08, Dragfan66, Turkey_neck, StateLine, Buck-bomb, NVM1031, Wahoo, Morris, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Lockjaw] #3493781
09/23/21 06:43 PM
09/23/21 06:43 PM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
Originally Posted by Lockjaw
Weiner dogs are fiesty. Watched a lady walk two around the lake in my hood, and they went into beast mode on every dog they ran into.

Anything that was bred to go in a badger's den and fight it has to be badass. The word dachshund means badger dog in German. My first one used to go out with us when we were in the front yard and we had to watch him because he went after any other dog, no matter the size, that came close to our yard. They are a fearless breed. The two I have now are not as tough but they do keep my back yard bird and squirrel free.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3493782
09/23/21 06:44 PM
09/23/21 06:44 PM
coffee county
goodman_hunter Offline
Booner
goodman_hunter  Offline
Booner
coffee county
Andulusia
You seem like a smart guy. I don't really like to get into dog threads too much anymore. Everyone here nows I'm a PB man. Really dogs in general. I spend a lot of time reading about and fooling with dogs. I understand why folks feal how they do about the dogs, do to them being in the news. You can believe the media if you want. I do not. Every man is entitled to believe what they want, but from my hands on experience, and all my research, and spending an obscene amount of time speaking with knowledgeable people who also have years of experience dealing, training and raising them, I have come to a different conclusion than what the media reports.

For without victory, there is no survival
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3493784
09/23/21 06:52 PM
09/23/21 06:52 PM
Priceville, Alabama
B
Bcbama260 Offline
8 point
Bcbama260  Offline
8 point
B
Priceville, Alabama
Any dog can be dangerous. I will always be a advocate for the pit bull simply because of the ones I owned. This topic is a endless disagreement for most people. To each their own.

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3493840
09/23/21 08:04 PM
09/23/21 08:04 PM
NE Alabama
A
Abbhudson Offline
6 point
Abbhudson  Offline
6 point
A
NE Alabama
Pits are terriers so there is a lot of prey drive in their dna.

If you look at studies on aggressiveness towards people pits are actually towards the bottom of the list. The issue is when they do bite they do damage. So in that respect I guess you could say they're more dangerous than a jack Russell, chihuahua, etc... If you just go by number of bites Chihuahuas , weiner dogs, and other little shits like that are more aggressive, it's just no one cares because you can kick them across the room pretty easily if they attack.

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: goodman_hunter] #3493911
09/23/21 09:15 PM
09/23/21 09:15 PM
Lower Alabama
Andalusia Online content
10 point
Andalusia  Online Content
10 point
Lower Alabama
Originally Posted by goodman_hunter
Andulusia
You seem like a smart guy. I don't really like to get into dog threads too much anymore. Everyone here nows I'm a PB man. Really dogs in general. I spend a lot of time reading about and fooling with dogs. I understand why folks feal how they do about the dogs, do to them being in the news. You can believe the media if you want. I do not. Every man is entitled to believe what they want, but from my hands on experience, and all my research, and spending an obscene amount of time speaking with knowledgeable people who also have years of experience dealing, training and raising them, I have come to a different conclusion than what the media reports.

Understood, I am not looking for an argument and everyone comes with a different perspective on dogs and their demeanor.

I have no direct experience with Pitbull ownership. My father was a Veterinarian and I spent many hours as I was growing up in his clinic and assisting with large animals in the field. As a Maxillofacial Surgeon I have treated many dog bite wounds and several were young children. No exposure to deaths thank goodness, but many with wounds that could be closed but scarring for life. Some were improved with skin grafting or rotational flaps but again, nothing that could completely resolved after the initial trauma. Most were from family dogs but several were friends and a few from strangers. I didn't keep tabs on the breeds but several were a Pitt or Pitt mix.

Again as stated above, any breed can be prompted to bite or worse but there are breeds which are more prone to attack and maul.

"If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room"

"How you do Anything, is how you do Everything"

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Frankie] #3493953
09/23/21 10:46 PM
09/23/21 10:46 PM
B
BPI Online content
14 point
BPI  Online Content
14 point
B
Originally Posted by Frankie
I'm not saying Pitts are not dangerous. I'm saying you're posting a bs study and using it to try and prove the point.

That's been the status quo for the last year about all things covid, so I guess it was just a matter of time before it found it's way into a thread about dogs.

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: BPI] #3493969
09/24/21 01:46 AM
09/24/21 01:46 AM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Originally Posted by BPI
I'm not saying Pitts are not dangerous. I'm saying you're posting a bs study and using it to try and prove the point.

That's been the status quo for the last year about all things covid, so I guess it was just a matter of time before it found it's way into a thread about dogs.

Lol yeah. Them people and animal rights freak about the same difference .

Oh I'm talking about the study . They the ones that come up with bs dog study

Same with cow farts

Last edited by Frankie; 09/24/21 01:51 AM.
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Andalusia] #3493985
09/24/21 06:20 AM
09/24/21 06:20 AM
NE Alabama
A
Abbhudson Offline
6 point
Abbhudson  Offline
6 point
A
NE Alabama
Originally Posted by Andalusia
Obviously there are dangerous dogs in all breeds but if I hear "someone is walking down the street and mauled to death" I honestly think Pitbull first.

There is an old saying...."when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not elephants".

By the Numbers: Dangerous Dogs
So how exactly do we measure the “dangerous-ness” of a dog breed? And what factors should we be looking at? There is no correct method or 100% accurate way of measuring how dangerous a dog is. Instead, we have to make use of the data we have.

That said, we measure these dangerous breeds based on two statistics:

How many human fatalities (deaths) caused by this dog breed
How many attacks from this breed have been reported
Aggressive dogs and their attacks on human have been a heated controversial topic ever since the beginning of the domestication of dogs. And in the 1990’s, the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) decided to examine the data on these attacks.

They discovered that the Pit Bull was the most dangerous breed in the United States (between 1979 and 1996). In fact, Pit Bulls were involved in 60 fatal incidents, which is more than double the number of incidents of the second place Rottweiler (29 incidents).

But of course, there are always exceptions in addition to many external factors that can play into this. We’re also not trying to generalize all dogs in a breed as dangerous or aggressive. This is simply objective data and facts we can use to measure how dangerous dogs are.

Fatal Dog Attacks – The Report
Of course these dog attacks haven’t stopped since the 90’s. Picking up where the CDC left off, DogsBite.org also conducted an investigation on fatal U.S. dog attacks (from 2005 to 2017).

Not only did they record the attacks, but also: victim’s age, number of dogs involved and consequent punishment (if any). What’s alarming is that the Pit Bull accounted for 66% of all fatalities in the 13-year span. That’s 284 deaths from 2005 to 2017.

The second place Rottweiler accounted for less than 11% of fatal attacks with a mere 45 deaths. The story is in the data. And the data tell us that the Pit Bull is by far, the most dangerous dog breed in the world.

You said you're a doctor. Here you go:

literature on dog bites
From a reputable source.

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3494003
09/24/21 07:21 AM
09/24/21 07:21 AM
Pisgah,Al,Jackson
coachg34 Offline
10 point
coachg34  Offline
10 point
Pisgah,Al,Jackson
From personal experience not research . Neighbors , more than one have pit bulls and crossbred bulldog types . We live in a rural area with no real close neighbors. 1. We have 2 movable chicken coops / chicken tractors . Multiple time we have had our laying hens killed by strays . I’ve got them on my game cameras and have caught them first hand . Always the bull dog types . Never eat them just kill for the fun I guess . Checking cows one day my wife calls in tears . 3 of the neighbors dogs have come into the yard and are trying to get into the coops . Wife goes out and tries to run them off , they come after her ! She luckily gets in the back of my pickup till they leave . When I get there , they are coming back across the field and proceed to growl and bark at me . In the meantime she has called the sheriffs department. Their response ? Shoot them if you feel threatened.. I hate to shoot a man’s dog . 2. Another day , watching the iron bowl I hear dogs barking and my chickens going crazy , 3 different bull dog types. I start yelling and 2 run for the woods , #3 is very pregnant and comes lays down at my feet . I put her in my empty beagle pen and call the county animal control guy , a former student . 3 days later and a small sack of dog feed , he picks her up . A different neighbor over a mile away picks her up at the shelter . Got to have a long talk with him and her . 3. Neighbor, a good one , loses a cow and calf to bull dog types . They attack her and baby while she is delivering the calf . The dogs belong to some druggies that live up the road from our joining pastures. 4-5 dogs this time . Later that day they have a different man’s cows backed into the corner of his pasture when he shows up . 4. And most recent , my wife and I are the garbage collectors at a local upper class community near us . We pick up trash in bags from about 30. -35 homes and carry it to the dumpster . Some are full time residents and some come up on the weekends. Others rent them out . Just last Sunday as we did the pickup I went into the yard to get the trash bags from a renter house . Car in the drive was a Texas tag . Just open the gate to the garbage bin when I hear a deep voiced bark and definitely a dog in attack mode to see a definite pit bull coming at me . Thankfully the owner heard the commotion a got him called off me . I’m inside the garbage fence at this moment ! Her response, I didn’t know anyone was in the yard so I let him out . What if it had been someone walking or kids on bikes ? There is no enclosed yard at this house .
So to my point ; I’ve had dogs all my life . Beagles and labs mostly. To each his own . I don’t blame folks for having bull dog type breeds . Put a collar on them if you love them ! Keep them in your yard or on a leash. Put them in a pen . That’s what we did with our dogs . Be responsible!

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Abbhudson] #3494041
09/24/21 08:14 AM
09/24/21 08:14 AM
Lower Alabama
Andalusia Online content
10 point
Andalusia  Online Content
10 point
Lower Alabama
Originally Posted by Abbhudson
Originally Posted by Andalusia
Obviously there are dangerous dogs in all breeds but if I hear "someone is walking down the street and mauled to death" I honestly think Pitbull first.

There is an old saying...."when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not elephants".

By the Numbers: Dangerous Dogs
So how exactly do we measure the “dangerous-ness” of a dog breed? And what factors should we be looking at? There is no correct method or 100% accurate way of measuring how dangerous a dog is. Instead, we have to make use of the data we have.

That said, we measure these dangerous breeds based on two statistics:

How many human fatalities (deaths) caused by this dog breed
How many attacks from this breed have been reported
Aggressive dogs and their attacks on human have been a heated controversial topic ever since the beginning of the domestication of dogs. And in the 1990’s, the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) decided to examine the data on these attacks.

They discovered that the Pit Bull was the most dangerous breed in the United States (between 1979 and 1996). In fact, Pit Bulls were involved in 60 fatal incidents, which is more than double the number of incidents of the second place Rottweiler (29 incidents).

But of course, there are always exceptions in addition to many external factors that can play into this. We’re also not trying to generalize all dogs in a breed as dangerous or aggressive. This is simply objective data and facts we can use to measure how dangerous dogs are.

Fatal Dog Attacks – The Report
Of course these dog attacks haven’t stopped since the 90’s. Picking up where the CDC left off, DogsBite.org also conducted an investigation on fatal U.S. dog attacks (from 2005 to 2017).

Not only did they record the attacks, but also: victim’s age, number of dogs involved and consequent punishment (if any). What’s alarming is that the Pit Bull accounted for 66% of all fatalities in the 13-year span. That’s 284 deaths from 2005 to 2017.

The second place Rottweiler accounted for less than 11% of fatal attacks with a mere 45 deaths. The story is in the data. And the data tell us that the Pit Bull is by far, the most dangerous dog breed in the world.

You said you're a doctor. Here you go:

literature on dog bites
From a reputable source.

I read the article you referenced and while it is a lit. review of older information, most coming from government sources and including some worldwide data, I feel it contains some good information.

It does back-up my thought that in Fatal Attacks, a Pitbull seems to be a front runner, I was never talking about just dog bites, only fatalities. I do agree with the thoughts that Pitbulls can be abused by their owners or encouraged to be more aggressive and this results in more fatalities with this breed.

Here's the first paragraph/summary of the article in your link:

Breeds Implicated in Serious Bite Injuries
In a range of studies, the breeds found to be highly represented in biting incidents were German Shepherd Dog,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,50 mixed breed,1,4,6,8,10,11,12,19,17, 20,50 pit bull type,5,9,13,16,21,20,22,23,24,25,26,27 Rottweiler,15,18,22,24,25,28 Jack Russell Terrier,21,25,26 and others (Chow Chow,7,23 Spaniel,14,26 Collie,3,29 Saint Bernard,20 and Labrador Retriever2).

If you consider only the much smaller number of cases that resulted in very severe injuries or fatalities,21,23 pit bull-type dogs are more frequently identified. However this may relate to the popularity of the breed in the victim's community, reporting biases and the dog's treatment by its owner (e.g., use as fighting dogs21). It is worth noting that fatal dog attacks in some areas of Canada are attributed mainly to sled dogs and Siberian Huskies,56 presumably due to the regional prevalence of these breeds. See Table 1 for a summary of breed data related to bite injuries.

"If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room"

"How you do Anything, is how you do Everything"

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: BPI] #3494088
09/24/21 09:59 AM
09/24/21 09:59 AM
coffee county
goodman_hunter Offline
Booner
goodman_hunter  Offline
Booner
coffee county
Originally Posted by BPI

thats backwards, it finally made its way into the covid threads.

For without victory, there is no survival
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3494090
09/24/21 10:02 AM
09/24/21 10:02 AM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline OP
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline OP
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
I read where dogs can catch Covid.

Never Trust Government

"You can be broke but you cant be poor." Ruthie-May Webster
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3494107
09/24/21 10:28 AM
09/24/21 10:28 AM
just south of the Tennesse riv...
R
roadkill Offline
14 point
roadkill  Offline
14 point
R
just south of the Tennesse riv...
Originally Posted by Skinny

I bet pit bulls are more susceptible to it and since they are so large and strong are really the worst of the super spreaders.

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3494189
09/24/21 12:09 PM
09/24/21 12:09 PM
FL
daylate Offline
10 point
daylate  Offline
10 point
FL
Great. Now we have Pit Bulls with Covid. What's meaner than a Pit Bull with Covid? The F'er that gave it to him!

Last edited by daylate; 09/24/21 12:10 PM.
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3494259
09/24/21 02:50 PM
09/24/21 02:50 PM
B
BPI Online content
14 point
BPI  Online Content
14 point
B

My dog told me that Ballistic tips were better for deer than Partitions.

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: BPI] #3494261
09/24/21 02:55 PM
09/24/21 02:55 PM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline OP
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline OP
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
Originally Posted by BPI

You need a better a dog. My dogs just stick with regular old soft point boat-tails.

Never Trust Government

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3494270
09/24/21 03:16 PM
09/24/21 03:16 PM
B
BPI Online content
14 point
BPI  Online Content
14 point
B
Originally Posted by BPI

You need a better a dog. My dogs just stick with regular old soft point boat-tails.

I bet your dog shoots a Creed Skinny. That's all I got to say about that.

And let's not even get started about your cat. LOL

Last edited by BPI; 09/24/21 03:19 PM.
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3494294
09/24/21 04:02 PM
09/24/21 04:02 PM
Some Marriott/Auburn
A
AU7MM08 Offline
Booner
AU7MM08  Offline
Booner
A
Some Marriott/Auburn
Phenix City ain’t having a great week.
4 bodies were just discovered in a house.

Seems like a murder suicide.

Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: AU7MM08] #3494296
09/24/21 04:04 PM
09/24/21 04:04 PM
Ourtown, AL
BCLC Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
BCLC  Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
Ourtown, AL
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Phenix City ain’t having a great week.
4 bodies were just discovered in a house.

Seems like a murder suicide.

They don’t call it SinCity for the gourmet cuisine that’s for sure.

We’re not dead. We just smell that way. Dayum. - AC870

Yessir! I’m always gonna shoot what makes me happy and I want everyone else to do the same! If you shoot one be proud of it and don’t worry what anyone else thinks. - SJ22
Re: Man killed by dog attack Phenix City [Re: Skinny] #3494345
09/24/21 05:51 PM
09/24/21 05:51 PM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline OP
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline OP
GUVNER
Luverne, AL

Never Trust Government

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.