</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mission SUB 1 XR Trade or Sale
by AL18. 04/28/24 10:36 AM
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Velvet
by Mbrock. 04/28/24 09:16 PM
Forever wild gun regs.
by N2TRKYS. 04/28/24 01:25 PM
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (jake5050, BC_Reb, Tree Dweller, lpman, CAL, brassmagnet), 771 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: ridgestalker] #3461615
08/12/21 03:45 PM
08/12/21 03:45 PM
Georgia
Cove Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Cove  Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Georgia
Originally Posted by ridgestalker
Originally Posted by k bush
Here's a novel idea, if it's within the regs, why don't the social media guys buy a trapping license and hit the WMA's etc during furbearer season and run a line for nest predators ? Then promote that idea, publish it. Maybe some followers will take it up and do the same. Combine it into a scouting/trapping trip to add personal value. A side benefit, is that increased license sales and trapping equipment sales leads to increased P-R funds available to the states.

I'm seeing more private lands guys wanting to learn trapping and start setting steel. You're not going to make any money doing it, but every brood that is successfully hatched gives at least a small chance that there's one or two gobbling birds make it. As recruitment expands so does hunting opportunity.

Maybe the state should allow us to trap on WMA during turkey season. It’s open state wide on coons and coyotes and would be taking them out at the perfect time. Right now you have to stop Feb 28 which makes no sense and very few people do it.

I'm on board with that (I thought it was extended until March 6 in Alabama) along with getting some organizations to put together some sort of initiative to motivate more trapping.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: TurkeyJoe] #3461618
08/12/21 03:54 PM
08/12/21 03:54 PM
Georgia
Cove Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Cove  Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Georgia
Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe
My main frustration is with the lazy management practices recently put in place throughout most of the turkeys range. The easiest target for regulation is legal gobbler harvest. This is being done, in my opinion, so the agencies can be seen as “doing something “. More poults are produced by trapping predators, and those extra turkeys are fed and kept healthy by planting chufas. These things cost money. Private land owners and leasers pay for it, because they love turkeys and turkey hunting. Imposing stricter regulations on legal gobbler harvest lowers incentive for the folks to spent their time and money. Less coons dead and less chufas planted. Easy solutions present themselves, such as using some of the corn lottery money on a bounty for coon and possum tails. Every turkey manager knows this will have a real-time, positive impact on poult recruitment, but the geniuses in charge of the resource will laugh you out of the room for mentioning it. Dave, I would personally like to see you use your platform to promote sound management practices, such as burning, trapping, and planting. Maybe it will help, but I think the DNR leadership (at least in Bama) are just like the rest of the politicians. They are in love with the sound of their own voice. Keep doing whatever you want to do, this is America. But don’t be surprised when the ol boys get ill watching you give away for free what they had to spend a lifetime earning.

This platform has been readily used for habitat improvement and predator trapping promotion. I'm also in direct contact with the agency's wildlife professionals working to provide positive change that will greatly benefit turkeys. Involvement with conservation organizations such as Turkeys for Tomorrow has also occupied much of my time. I hope of the amount of people willing to hop on an internet forum and complain put forth half of that effort in donations and volunteer work assisting in making more turkeys. I have a feeling when that happens (along with a couple favorable weather patterns through nesting season) these turkey issues we face will disappear. Not speaking to you directly. Appreciate your comment and agree, large overhaul in management practices is necessary.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Squeaky] #3461668
08/12/21 04:40 PM
08/12/21 04:40 PM
Georgia
Cove Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Cove  Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Georgia
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Dave I appreciate you taking the time to come on here to share your prospective with this group. I do not know what the right answers are as I can see both sides of the coin. I personally think the increased pressure/numbers of hunters are a bad thing for the public land hunter and dwindling turkey population for many of the reasons already pointed out. I honestly feel sorry for the guys that only have public land to hunt. If that were my only choice these days, I'd go back to bass fishing. I'm certain the dwindling turkey population is a very bad thing for everyone involved. Increased pressure has really hit at an inopportune time as well. But I still believe we can take this increased enthusiasm and create some change that will last much longer than the issues we have on hand and perhaps avoid it from ever happening again.

I could get on board with increasing hunter numbers if these state agencies were truly using the surplus money generated for land purchase and research to find the answer to the problem, poult production!! I have seen several very educated people fail to bring that to the forefront when the opportunity was available to do so! With that said, I feel like the state of Alabama currently has the most incompetent leader in our game and fish departments history of existence. Under his leadership the state of Alabama is screwed in my personal opinion. From my understanding, everyone in academia is pointing to poult production as concern #1. Lots of differing ways to approach the solution though, most all hold their on merits. Leadership could be of concern but we don't know unless we start asking questions. And the best way to cause movement from leadership, a unified voice. I believe we are building an impressive voice and will soon begin using it when necessary.

The game and fish agencies across much of the country have become politized and it's very unfortunate. Money is wasted and robbed, therefore never being utilized for the research and things you mention. Most states can't afford to hire CO's to enforce the current regulations on the books. I simply do not see the money generated from increased hunter recruitment/license sales being utilized for the necessary things that it should be used for. Another case to make sure we are keeping our eyes on the prize so to speak. Let's start demanding answers from our agencies. They will soon begin raking in more money through over flowing Pittman Robertson funds combined with high license sales volumes. That money needs to be put to work for productivity. Let's make sure to applaud a job well done as well. Some of these agencies are working overtime to ensure our resources are managed properly.

I am one of the very people that cast shadow towards the turkey doc "Chamberlain". The man and his work simply do not impress me. He has spouted off a hypotheses (Dominate Gobbler) that is unproven!!! Several state agencies has taken this hogwash as the gospel and ran with it. He is one of the very folks that failed to mention poult recruitment as the number one issue with a declining turkey population. Until these state agencies and biologist bring that glaring issue to the forefront, they will never fix the problem. Arkansas is a prime example, adjusting hunting season and bag limits have failed them miserably. Why do these state agencies continue to throw the same crap against the wall and hope it sticks?? Chamberlain himself says the dominant gobbler theory is not proven. It's a hypothesis which is more or less an educated guess from an individual that has devoted his life to studying turkeys, so it should carry some weight in my opinion. All agencies are responding to a reduction in poult production by limiting seasons, reduced opportunity is the only proven way to reduce harvest. My assumption is this is to pad the carry-over and facilitate a concentrated nest incubation date with reduced disturbance. It's a "we have to do something" answer as a response to an overwhelming number of people who have voiced their concerns with turkey numbers recently. Is it the correct answer? I'm suspect. At the same time I'm not going to fault the agency for making a move as a safety measure. The noise from the public had become substantial. I agree there has to be more research poured into finding answers because if season time was the sole answer states like MO wouldn't be seeing declines as well.

I will no longer support the NWTF because of what they have become. I will not support TFT for the simple fact I asked them how my money would be spent if I contributed to their cause. Never received a reply from those folks. Also their mission statement is vague and along the same lines as the NWTF. I personally want to support a group that their mission is to get answers to poor poult recruitment. I don't think working with state agencies that are politized will accomplish much in the current environment. I can understand your frustrations with NWTF, I have my own as well. I hope they're getting back on track. TFT is a fledging of an organization that has a lot of wheels turning as all it's parts are put into their appropriate places. You should have gotten a return call though, no excuse for that. I do hope you'll reconsider donating to either. There will be some big announcements concerning TFT very soon. I hope you'll follow along.

Out of all this that has taken place there is one positive, I've learned that we aren't producing turkeys, my eyes have been opened to that fact. I need to do more to help the turkeys on the property I control. In my personal opinion a little bit of effort can make a difference. I'm also guilty as charged. I'm holding myself accountable in making sure more turkeys are in our futures.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3461697
08/12/21 05:19 PM
08/12/21 05:19 PM
NBama
mr.clif Offline
6 point
mr.clif  Offline
6 point
NBama
I wish my name wasn't on this post in its early stages but it is, I can't change that. I loved everything about pinhoti because Dave seemed to think exactly how I thought about turkeys. I watched every video and every post that was made and ranked Dave up with the guys I use to watch on VHS tapes 30 years ago. I never knew it would've done what it did to the sport but it did, I honestly can't say that I blame Dave for doing what he's doing but at what cost. YouTube influencers have recruited Turkey hunters to a magnitude not ever seen and the resource cant keep up with the demand. I've known deerhunter1988 for years and know hes dedicated his life to conservation of the resources. From the start all hes asked for is quit naming states but none would listen. He didn't have to show everyone the obvious what it was doing to the public land turkey hunter. I no longer watch or follow hunting on social media. It would be nice if we could come together and fix what's been done.

Last edited by mr.clif; 08/12/21 05:21 PM.
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3461753
08/12/21 06:28 PM
08/12/21 06:28 PM
Birmingham
7x57_Mauser Offline
8 point
7x57_Mauser  Offline
8 point
Birmingham
Soooo, about those public land filming permits....

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3461883
08/12/21 08:17 PM
08/12/21 08:17 PM
Saraland, Al
R
Richard Cranium Offline
4 point
Richard Cranium  Offline
4 point
R
Saraland, Al
If Dave stops making his videos there’s just going to be some other poor guy doing it for everyone to pile on. Keep up the passion and hard work. Looking forward to next year’s videos already.

The American Indians found out first hand what happens when you don't control immigration!
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3461886
08/12/21 08:20 PM
08/12/21 08:20 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
First off - well said Dave! Your fingers must be bleeding! As much as I don't like the concept of "youtubers" doing hunting videos, I disliked the hunting videos of the 90's, 80's, 70's, etc just as much. I admit I am a selfish turkey hunter and don't really want more folks involved in the sport. I never watched the VHS videos and don't watch many youtuber vids. The exception has always been Pinhoti for 2 reasons. First, I thought Dave would fit right in with the guys I hunt with, primarily for reason 2. He tries to kill a turkey the "right" way and has (and shows it) a tremendous respect for the bird. He also has the guts to come on here and defend himself to the whiners on here who simply bitch but never have solutions. These guys are the reason I don't post on here often anymore. Too much negativity and armchair biologists - just search my posts from a few years ago. Dave convinced me a while ago that he was in this to influence turkey hunters to appreciate the hunt, respect the animal and not just be in it for the kill and to personally help how he could to increase turkey populations.

Second, Chamberlain. I have been tempted to post on here when he is being slammed but don't want to get into another internet argument with one of the above. That being said, unlike many of those on here that bitch and whine about him, he has dedicated his time, money, and career to wildlife research. He is an exceptional research biologist and is doing excellent research in a time when there is very little turkey research being done in the southeast (Alabama's last turkey project doesn't count!). Do I agree with all of his conclusions - absolutely not. His dominant gobbler theory is full of holes but he thinks it is plausible. I don't. He also admits it is a theory and does not have good data to support it. BUT that doesn't make him a bad researcher or call into question his motives. He hunts and manages turkeys, not just studies them. I suspect the DG theory will be proven wrong but maybe not. Do I agree with starting seasons later - again, no. But I am open to the possibility until proven one way or the other. I simply don't think it will impact poult recruitment either way. His research on movements, habitat, burning, nest success, how they all interact and relate, etc are groundbreaking and that is enough to make him a great researcher. There are some great research projects in the works to look at answering some of these questions.

More of this research needs to be done, especially here in Alabama. We also have a great researcher at AU that should be doing some independent turkey research as well as some in coordination with Chamberlain. As Dave said, stay tuned for announcement soon from AU, TFT and AWF

Last edited by gobbler; 08/12/21 08:27 PM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3461902
08/12/21 08:28 PM
08/12/21 08:28 PM
Saraland, Al
R
Richard Cranium Offline
4 point
Richard Cranium  Offline
4 point
R
Saraland, Al
Very well said Gobbler

The American Indians found out first hand what happens when you don't control immigration!
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Cove] #3461961
08/12/21 09:13 PM
08/12/21 09:13 PM
Lower AL
K
k bush Offline
12 point
k bush  Offline
12 point
K
Lower AL
Originally Posted by Cove
Here's a novel idea, if it's within the regs, why don't the social media guys buy a trapping license and hit the WMA's etc during furbearer season and run a line for nest predators ? Then promote that idea, publish it. Maybe some followers will take it up and do the same. Combine it into a scouting/trapping trip to add personal value. A side benefit, is that increased license sales and trapping equipment sales leads to increased P-R funds available to the states.

I'm seeing more private lands guys wanting to learn trapping and start setting steel. You're not going to make any money doing it, but every brood that is successfully hatched gives at least a small chance that there's one or two gobbling birds make it. As recruitment expands so does hunting opportunity.

This is happening. There was a #savethepoults movement last year. Lots of new involvement/ interest in trapping. New content will no doubt be created to fuel that progress with this upcoming season. Supposedly Duke couldn't make traps quick enough last year- let's hope they're preparing for this one.

That’s good to hear

"Cull" is just another four letter word...
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3462026
08/12/21 09:59 PM
08/12/21 09:59 PM
Montgomery / Luverne
crenshawco Offline
Booner
crenshawco  Offline
Booner
Montgomery / Luverne
Jesus Christ, the turkey forum has become the football forum. Pathetic. Yall sound like a bunch of women

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: crenshawco] #3462046
08/12/21 10:33 PM
08/12/21 10:33 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
T
Tailwalk7 Offline
4 point
Tailwalk7  Offline
4 point
T
Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted by crenshawco
Jesus Christ, the turkey forum has become the football forum. Pathetic. Yall sound like a bunch of women

That ol vaccine must of been filled with a double dose of estrogen.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3462060
08/12/21 11:28 PM
08/12/21 11:28 PM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
Yall aint called out and threaten to whip Will Primos, Bill Jordan, Jackie Bushman or Michael Waddell. These 4 have been posting hunting videos for decades and the turkeys are still alive. I dont think (Cove can correct me if I am wrong) Pinhotti has reached near the people those guys have reached.

Last edited by Ben2; 08/12/21 11:52 PM.
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Ben2] #3462079
08/13/21 04:38 AM
08/13/21 04:38 AM
Alabama
OlTimer Offline
10 point
OlTimer  Offline
10 point
Alabama
Originally Posted by Ben2
Yall aint called out and threaten to whip Will Primos, Bill Jordan, Jackie Bushman or Michael Waddell. These 4 have been posting hunting videos for decades and the turkeys are still alive. I dont think (Cove can correct me if I am wrong) Pinhotti has reached near the people those guys have reached.

They ALL hunt private/leased property. Apples and oranges there fellow. This thread is about public property being hammered.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Cove] #3462087
08/13/21 05:36 AM
08/13/21 05:36 AM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
14 point
ridgestalker  Offline
14 point
R
North Jackson
Originally Posted by ridgestalker

Maybe the state should allow us to trap on WMA during turkey season. It’s open state wide on coons and coyotes and would be taking them out at the perfect time. Right now you have to stop Feb 28 which makes no sense and very few people do it.

I'm on board with that (I thought it was extended until March 6 in Alabama) along with getting some organizations to put together some sort of initiative to motivate more trapping.

No it’s Feb 28 on Skyline and you have to get special permit from area manager. She told me that there isn’t any interest in trapping and rarely gets a request for a permit. The place is too big and rough to go out in the off season and run a few DP traps. If you could put a dozen out during turkey season and check them on the way in or out “turkey season “ I believe a sizable dent could be made in coon population. There’s not much on a WMA as hunter that you can do as a hunter to help. I’ll go to my grave believing the legalization of decoys “2005” was the beginning of the decline. I personally think there’s less pressure on Skyline than there was 20-30 years ago due to the lack of turkeys. I also believe TSS has been bad for the sport because a lot of these newcomers will take a 60-80 yd poke at a hung up bird in a heartbeat. They most often don’t get the gobbler but common sense tells you that birds catching some shot. I use it because it allows me to hunt with 410 but still stick to reasonable ranges.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: OlTimer] #3462094
08/13/21 06:07 AM
08/13/21 06:07 AM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
Originally Posted by OlTimer

They ALL hunt private/leased property. Apples and oranges there fellow. This thread is about public property being hammered.

But they brought new droves of hunters in, which killed droves of gobblers. Public land turkeys go on private land too.

So you think the public land hunters are the reason for the population decline across the country?

Last edited by Ben2; 08/13/21 06:09 AM.
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Ben2] #3462102
08/13/21 06:25 AM
08/13/21 06:25 AM
Alabama
OlTimer Offline
10 point
OlTimer  Offline
10 point
Alabama

But they brought new droves of hunters in, which killed droves of gobblers. Public land turkeys go on private land too.

So you think the public land hunters are the reason for the population decline across the country?
[/quote]

Nope, public land hunters effect public land opportunities. The decline across the country has many factors. I may be wrong but, I thought this thread is about public hunting lands exploitation by a few for money, not the overall decline of the wild turkey. I'm just trying to stay on topic and not wander off on habitat management, predator control, etc.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Cove] #3462112
08/13/21 06:38 AM
08/13/21 06:38 AM
new orleans, la
S
sasquatch1 Offline
spike
sasquatch1  Offline
spike
S
new orleans, la
While we may not agree I can see where you're coming from. The main problem I think a lot of us are concerned with is (Will these loss of opportunities return?) I know I have my doubts, major doubts. One reason I doubt is because with the increase of hunters the flock will need to be bigger just to maintain where its at now. Therefore if we do get the the ball rolling the right way, we very well may just end up at the position of balance, (a flock that could withstand the new pressure but cant expand enough to take on additional pressure of relaxing the regs) this would make agencies keep the new regs in place. For instance, I've long hunted Mississippi as a NR, its the closest place for me to have decent turkey hunting. I've always happily paid for the license etc and even champion for paying more. Hunters don't pay enough and bark at little increases while spending fortunes on other flashy S****. No matter how many turkeys the state grows from this point on I am very reluctant to think they would ever remove the draw requirements being implicated, Due to resident voices and there still being more pressure then there was before.

There should be Public land permits not just WMA permits, and for the acreage we can hunt it should be a min $100. This money could go a LONG way to helping the resource. Trapping would help if we could do it during turkey season, but many are like me and don't have the time to travel hours to trap, Ik that sounds ironic but its just the truth. The closets half decent turkey hunting to me is 3 hours away. I have to pull a lot of stuff to get off work to hunt some for those two months, I and many cant do it all year. However we could fund these agencies wayyyy better. Sell the permits and earmark the money for certain things. Hell the wardens and biologist are under paid, we could earmark money for trapping. Maybe they would do a lot of trapping themselves too if they could get $5 per rodent turned in, and they in the field already daily??? Bonus money for those who want or need to make more?

More hunters aren't always bad but I feel social media brought a diff type, maybe I'm wrong idk. I think the best way to get more hunters that align with the old school mentality is by friends taking out more friends. The old school way for the old school style. However I've been burned like that many times too by being run out of my own spots by so called friends. Hell I enjoy the videos myself, guilty as charged, but I think the location naming could go differently and help. Just like the old videos didn't flood the public land like now. That's due to peoples doubt, (I cant do like those guys, they have fancy private land) therefore I'm not going . The ones who don't have such doubt and go out trying on their own are a different breed that I believe more so align with the old way. The brand new only social media flames are the new culture by large.
Originally Posted by sasquatch1
Dave, to your first paragraph. I agree the (old school way was disappearing) and needed to change.

However the old way wasn’t disappearing because people didn’t know how to hunt that way, like you said it’s a full on culture change. We are in the instant gratification generation. These new guys aren’t watching your videos on how to hunt, they are looking for where to hunt! While this may be the case in some scenerios, I can say with certainty it is not true in all scenerios. I have private messages explaining how much more gratifying the experience has been since they've played by the old principles. Not to mention slowing the entire celebration down to prolong the experience. And during the 4 years of the Pinhoti project, I have hunted 30 states if my quick addition was correct, so the problem lies in sending people to 30 different states across the country? I totally agree the instant gratification generation is much to blame but I'm not finding any solutions in your comment on how to curb that culture? My approach was to expose them to "the experience" rather than just the kill. But I'm open to other suggestions. We can't ignore the newest generations if we expect to keep this hunting thing around.

So, while trying to show people the right way, I feel mostly the videos just showed people it was possible. It brought out thousands of people to the sport that don’t want to hunt the old school way! All the new people attracted are mostly hunters that go against what you was trying to accomplish! Again, so the answer is? Ignore all the new hunters, shun them and worry about ourselves? Trust me, I'd love to be the lone man on the ridge day in and day out hunting "my" turkeys. But I know that is not good for the resource because I alone can not fund and care for them. Eventually, I may still be the lone man on the ridge but "my" turkeys will be long gone without hope in restoring them. For now, my only answer is to expose the new hunters to the experience, hope it sticks and potentially try to sway some of the other existing media they're attracted to to do the same. Please realize I'm not the only content for new hunters to watch. The battle against questionable methodology is constant.

Your videos showed the same people of the (new culture) confidence in trying public land. I totally agree. My videos have shown people new to hunting and old to hunting the possibilities of travel. I along with the incredible advancement in mapping software that I continuously see ignored. It's like no one wants to mention it because EVERYONE uses it, myself included. Once upon a time I would pour weeks or more into printing google maps and tracing property boundaries. Transferring gps coordinates to a Garmin with a 3" dimly lit screen then marking those same points to a wax papered national forest map took of most of my nights. The amount of effort necessary to travel to foreign soil was staggering. Now, you can literally drive down the road, watch your blue pointer and wait for the shaded region to appear. Which I find much more tasteful when compared to that "shared waypoint" chasing epidemic. And this isn't an accusation because I've been just as guilty as anyone. Just an observation that shouldn't go ignored.

There’s many like me who are definitely guilty in the sense of watching your hunts, however the ones like me were already hunting and being involved. You just gained views from my or should I say our kind as we were already on the same hunt style opinions. The NEW people youve drawn in are on the new culture side. We need the strength that comes with the numbers. I believe for us as "old hunters" should instead of hating the new hunters because frankly they're coming whether you like it or not (again, its a good thing) we should attempt to mold them into responsible sportsman. Casting them aside isn't the way. They will build resentment for our values and essentially deny them for no reason other than that, they're ours. Expose them to passing a gate that's already occupied, expose them to backing out on a gobbling turkey because someone else is already working him and expose them to the importance of turkey hunters engaging with wildlife professionals and agencies to ensure we are putting as many turkeys on the landscape as we are taking off. Who else is going to do it?

This is why the restrictions are coming in the form of opportunity not weapon restrictions, Jake restrictions or decoy restrictions. (Just a few examples) Restrictions were coming, as I stated this turkey production trend started over a decade ago. We had turkey problems before YouTube, Bookface and the Gram. We were not/ are not making enough turkeys. I'm thankful now we have the popularity for the sport to fund new research, ask tough questions to agencies and motivate NGOs to address issues that have been long building without notice. We have a supply issue. When the supply issue is resolved the demand aspect will take care of itself. I suggest we start looking at solutions to the supply issue rather than passing blame as to who is responsible for the demand surge. Both are necessary for what we love.

I appreciate your comment. I have attempted to address each point with my perspective. I challenge my way of thinking daily- am I doing the right thing? what could I change to do better? should I reconsider this? should I abandon that? My approach is always up for tailoring. Again, that's why I engage in forums such as this one when many would not due to their overall toxicity.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: gobbler] #3462115
08/13/21 06:50 AM
08/13/21 06:50 AM
Covington County
Squeaky Offline
12 point
Squeaky  Offline
12 point
Covington County
Originally Posted by gobbler
First off - well said Dave! Your fingers must be bleeding! As much as I don't like the concept of "youtubers" doing hunting videos, I disliked the hunting videos of the 90's, 80's, 70's, etc just as much. I admit I am a selfish turkey hunter and don't really want more folks involved in the sport. I never watched the VHS videos and don't watch many youtuber vids. The exception has always been Pinhoti for 2 reasons. First, I thought Dave would fit right in with the guys I hunt with, primarily for reason 2. He tries to kill a turkey the "right" way and has (and shows it) a tremendous respect for the bird. He also has the guts to come on here and defend himself to the whiners on here who simply bitch but never have solutions. These guys are the reason I don't post on here often anymore. Too much negativity and armchair biologists - just search my posts from a few years ago. Dave convinced me a while ago that he was in this to influence turkey hunters to appreciate the hunt, respect the animal and not just be in it for the kill and to personally help how he could to increase turkey populations.

Second, Chamberlain. I have been tempted to post on here when he is being slammed but don't want to get into another internet argument with one of the above. That being said, unlike many of those on here that bitch and whine about him, he has dedicated his time, money, and career to wildlife research. He is an exceptional research biologist and is doing excellent research in a time when there is very little turkey research being done in the southeast (Alabama's last turkey project doesn't count!). Do I agree with all of his conclusions - absolutely not. His dominant gobbler theory is full of holes but he thinks it is plausible. I don't. He also admits it is a theory and does not have good data to support it. BUT that doesn't make him a bad researcher or call into question his motives. He hunts and manages turkeys, not just studies them. I suspect the DG theory will be proven wrong but maybe not. Do I agree with starting seasons later - again, no. But I am open to the possibility until proven one way or the other. I simply don't think it will impact poult recruitment either way. His research on movements, habitat, burning, nest success, how they all interact and relate, etc are groundbreaking and that is enough to make him a great researcher. There are some great research projects in the works to look at answering some of these questions.

More of this research needs to be done, especially here in Alabama. We also have a great researcher at AU that should be doing some independent turkey research as well as some in coordination with Chamberlain. As Dave said, stay tuned for announcement soon from AU, TFT and AWF

Gobbler I value your opinion as I have always felt you have been a straight shooter on here with us. I appreciate you posting the above information as I was not aware of this information. Guys like yourself and Dave are in the know and I appreciate y'all sharing what information you can. I am guilty of jumping on the whining and complaining ban wagon. I am going to refrain from posting any more on threads such as these and hope what you and Dave are saying about the future gives us some answers in the near future.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3462122
08/13/21 07:10 AM
08/13/21 07:10 AM
Spanish Fort
J
Jstocks Offline
8 point
Jstocks  Offline
8 point
J
Spanish Fort
An add that a lot of folks don’t consider:
Dominant Gobbler Theory is not exactly new. Pretty sure Ken Morgan referred to it in some of his writing.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3462130
08/13/21 07:18 AM
08/13/21 07:18 AM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
I’m so thankful CNC doesn’t visit the turkey forum 🤦🏿🤦🏿🤦🏿

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.