This was back in 2015, the first season I spread my wings and started turkey hunting on my own. I had permission to hunt a property in TN that had beautiful hardwoods and rolling pasture fields.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I set up before daylight and heard a gobbler a good ways away. I sat and called, he answered. After about 45 minutes, he sounded like he was firmly planted. I made a move and started yelping as I was walking. I plopped down in a creek bottom (the one pictured above) with my back against one of those trees.

My view in front of me:

[Linked Image]

After about 20 minutes of me shutting up, I see that head bob over the horizon and the turkey walked all the way down the hill strutting and gobbling. I could see the steam from his gobble. It was a sight I'll never forget. I shot him at 20 yards and he was a nice old bird.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He was missing a few tail feathers, wish I knew why. I am going to assume from fighting, but maybe a predator? I'll never know for sure, but this was my first TN gobbler and was one heck of a memorable experience.

[Linked Image]

Author, Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass: An Adventure Across Southern Waters
JacksonKayak Fishing Team
---------------------------------------------------
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly