</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso box blade
by kntree. 04/25/24 11:31 PM
Leupold vx freedom
by twaldrop4. 04/25/24 09:50 PM
WTB/WTTF Browning MK3 DBM 308
by Sendero558. 04/25/24 07:29 PM
1999 Scout 162 with Yamaha 90 2 stroke
by billrv. 04/25/24 07:02 PM
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by Tree Dweller. 04/26/24 11:21 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
118 registered members (JCL, Bigem1958, JD Lewis, Ditchdigger, catdoctor, Turkeyneck78, desertdog, BradB, icducks, Squeaky, Tree Dweller, CeeHawk37, BCLC, Petey, brianr, Squadron77, jwalker77, csg1994, GobbleGrunt, Chaser357, Skullworks, Andalusia, MCW, jwyatt, lefthorn, Bustinbeards, outdoorguy88, click-boom, fladeerhntr, Whild_Bill, GoldenEagle, HDS64, BrandonClark, Antelope08, crenshawco, MC21, cullbuck, jake5050, ALMODUX, Irishguy, Paint Rock 00, AKB, bamafarmer, mzzy, Dean, Chiller, auman, JA, Mdees, fillmore, Catbird, dave260rem!, BamaBoHunter, Mansfield, twaldrop4, goodman_hunter, Jerstwrt, low wall, Cuz-Pat, just_an_illusion, BhamFred, Reptar, Ol' Skinny, deerchop, Parker243, Roondog, Thread Killer, Brian_C, abolt300, deadeye48, joeml18, FX4, mossyback, beeline08, Keysbowman, BrowningGuy88, Festis45, Bushmaster, Stacey, hallb, IMISSALDEER, GATA87, klay, jchurch, grouper22, BC, Paddlejon, jawbone, Daniel4191, scrape, 300gr, pvillehunter, Colt1917, RidgeRanger, top cat, Raspy, bamabeagler, burbank, chill, JohnG, Marbury, gman, G/H, mdavis, Possum Hunter, 7PTSPREAD, Rockstar007, Jweeks, 10 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: SMB44] #326357
04/26/12 09:51 PM
04/26/12 09:51 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: SMB44
Originally Posted By: Fun4all
Originally Posted By: D Wilborn
I'm not against any type of baiting. I'm against the government telling what I can and can't do on my property. This bill would eventually lead to legal baiting, which is okay with me. If someone doesn't want to kill an animal over bait, kill a doe, kill a small buck, etc., then don't. But don't tell others not to, just because you don't think it's right. I believe that most hunters are smart enough to take care of their own hunting lands. It's time to get the government out of so much of our lives. Take care of our borders, our roads, and OUR needy should be the focus of the government. Local government should take care of law enforcement. The government is run by lawyers, that is why there are so many laws!!!

Hunting over bait is already legal in the State, you just have to figure out how to stay within the current rules. No new rules, regulations and laws. Issue solved.

Please enlighten me on how baiting is legal?

Pro baiters claim everything is bait when what their intention is to pour corn out of a bag that they bought at Walmart or the local hunting store. All they have to do is grow corn in their foodplots and voila BAIT without the Walmart "Deer" corn bag!! Not to mention perfectly legal!

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Fun4all] #326416
04/27/12 05:49 AM
04/27/12 05:49 AM
Millbrook AL
SMB44 Offline
10 point
SMB44  Offline
10 point
Millbrook AL
Originally Posted By: SMB44
I'm not against any type of baiting. I'm against the government telling what I can and can't do on my property. This bill would eventually lead to legal baiting, which is okay with me. If someone doesn't want to kill an animal over bait, kill a doe, kill a small buck, etc., then don't. But don't tell others not to, just because you don't think it's right. I believe that most hunters are smart enough to take care of their own hunting lands. It's time to get the government out of so much of our lives. Take care of our borders, our roads, and OUR needy should be the focus of the government. Local government should take care of law enforcement. The government is run by lawyers, that is why there are so many laws!!!

Hunting over bait is already legal in the State, you just have to figure out how to stay within the current rules. No new rules, regulations and laws. Issue solved.

Please enlighten me on how baiting is legal?

Pro baiters claim everything is bait when what their intention is to pour corn out of a bag that they bought at Walmart or the local hunting store. All they have to do is grow corn in their foodplots and voila BAIT without the Walmart "Deer" corn bag!! Not to mention perfectly legal!

Ok i just didnt know what you ment but you are correct plant it and its legal...

Playin string music
Hoyt Vector 32
Get Serious Get Hoyt

Alto, la migra means Stop, immigration in Spanish slang. They'll scatter like skittles dropped on a concrete floor. -Furflyin
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: D Wilborn] #327272
04/29/12 08:08 AM
04/29/12 08:08 AM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama

While I agree with your premise, the Game and Fish folks will tell you in a hurry the wildlife on your property does not belong to you. That's what kinda makes your argument moot.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: jmj120] #327557
04/29/12 10:58 PM
04/29/12 10:58 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
Originally Posted By: jmj120
While I agree with your premise, the Game and Fish folks will tell you in a hurry the wildlife on your property does not belong to you. That's what kinda makes your argument moot.

Your point is kinda moot.

Explain this law:

Quote:
Section 9-2-7
Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources - Powers and duties as to game, fish and seafood generally.

(a) The Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources may enforce and administer all laws providing for the preservation, protection, propagation, and development of wild birds, wild fur-bearing animals, game fish, saltwater fish, shrimp, oysters and other shellfish, crustaceans and all other species of wildlife within the state or within the territorial jurisdiction of the state which have not been reduced to private ownership, except as otherwise provided.

(emphasis added)

If you read the law for what it says, you'll find the purpose defined for the state holding title to wildlife:

Quote:
Section 9-11-230
Title to wild birds and animals vested in state.

The title and ownership to all wild birds and wild animals in the State of Alabama or within the territorial jurisdiction of the state are vested in the state for the purpose of regulating the use and disposition of the same in accordance with the laws of the state.

(Acts 1935, No. 383, p. 813, §1; Code 1940, T. 8, §82.)
(emphasis added)

Wildlife is held in trust by the state for use by the people of the state. The people of this state own it's wildlife. Their government does not.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #327896
04/30/12 07:20 PM
04/30/12 07:20 PM
Cullman, AL
D Wilborn Offline
4 point
D Wilborn  Offline
4 point
Cullman, AL
In Alabama, it is not legal to hunt any of your property that has a food source that was not grown there and left standing for the wild life. That's the point, if you have 10 acres with bait on it , you can not hunt it until 10 days after the bait is gone. It's the same if you had 10,000 acres with only one area baited. The game warden is probably going to spend more time trying to catch the guy with 10,000 acres than the guy with 10 acres. There are alot more people with small acreage baiting than those with larger tracts. The law needs to be specific, based on distance and visability, if it is going to be illegal to bait.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: D Wilborn] #327918
04/30/12 07:59 PM
04/30/12 07:59 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
Dennis,

You may be right about how the game wardens are currently handling baited property, but the law ceratainly does not require that the whole property to be put off limits to hunting for the 10 day period.

I have found no caselaw to support that interpretation of the law. Vague laws that leave the details up to the enforcement agency have often been struck down once they have been challenged in the appeals courts.

I doubt if the DCNR is willing to risk a challenge to this easy source of revenue by closing down an entire 10,000 acres to hunting because a small portion of the land was baited. An owner of a large tract would probably be more likely to engage in such a challenge due to having more money to spend on a challenge.

When bait was found on our lease, our club's officers decided what the affected area was and that's all we closed for the 10 day period. We decided 80 acres was adequate to comply with the law. The rest of our lease was left open to hunting.

I didn't see any need to notifiy the game warden. A law is required to give adequate notice to those whose activity is being restricted by it. We were ready to defend our decision in court if it came to that.

If the CAB, the Legislature and the DCNR can't agree on what an affected area is, the landowner's decision aught to be as good as anyone else's as long as it is within reason. I consider the officers of our club to be reasonable men of at least average intelligence.

Quote:
This appears to be a classic example of a case where men of common intelligence must necessarily guess as to the requirements of the regulation. See Connally v. General Construction Co., supra.

State v. Lupo, 984 So. 2d 395 - Ala: Supreme Court 2007

Quote:
That the terms of a penal statute creating a new offense must be sufficiently explicit to inform those who are subject to it what conduct on their part will render them liable to its penalties, is a well-recognized requirement, consonant alike with ordinary notions of fair play and the settled rules of law. And a statute which either forbids or requires the doing of an act in terms so vague that men of common intelligence must necessarily guess at its meaning and differ as to its application, violates the first essential of due process of law. International Harvester Co. v. Kentucky, 234 U.S. 216, 221; Collins v. Kentucky, 234 U.S. 634, 638.

Connally v. General Constr. Co., 269 US 385 - Supreme Court 1926

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: 49er] #328002
04/30/12 09:39 PM
04/30/12 09:39 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: 49er
Dennis,

You may be right about how the game wardens are currently handling baited property, but the law ceratainly does not require that the whole property to be put off limits to hunting for the 10 day period.

I have found no caselaw to support that interpretation of the law. Vague laws that leave the details up to the enforcement agency have often been struck down once they have been challenged in the appeals courts.

I doubt if the DCNR is willing to risk a challenge to this easy source of revenue by closing down an entire 10,000 acres to hunting because a small portion of the land was baited. An owner of a large tract would probably be more likely to engage in such a challenge due to having more money to spend on a challenge.

When bait was found on our lease, our club's officers decided what the affected area was and that's all we closed for the 10 day period. We decided 80 acres was adequate to comply with the law. The rest of our lease was left open to hunting.

I didn't see any need to notifiy the game warden. A law is required to give adequate notice to those whose activity is being restricted by it. We were ready to defend our decision in court if it came to that.

If the CAB, the Legislature and the DCNR can't agree on what an affected area is, the landowner's decision aught to be as good as anyone else's as long as it is within reason. I consider the officers of our club to be reasonable men of at least average intelligence.

Self policing is the right way and I applaud that effort!!!!! If more detailed regulation is put forth then only more arguments will ensue regarding the details of the regulation and in the end nothing changes.

For the "pro baiters" police yourself, if you want to put bait out and have an argument with the State about how you can't comply with the regulations against baiting because they are hard to understand then go right ahead.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: D Wilborn] #328011
04/30/12 09:48 PM
04/30/12 09:48 PM
Trussville, Al
J
Jpipererp Offline
10 point
Jpipererp  Offline
10 point
J
Trussville, Al
In Alabama, it is not legal to hunt any of your property that has a food source that was not grown there and left standing for the wild life. That's the point, if you have 10 acres with bait on it , you can not hunt it until 10 days after the bait is gone. It's the same if you had 10,000 acres with only one area baited. The game warden is probably going to spend more time trying to catch the guy with 10,000 acres than the guy with 10 acres. There are alot more people with small acreage baiting than those with larger tracts. The law needs to be specific, based on distance and visability, if it is going to be illegal to bait.

I have been on a large scale corp. dove hunt where some idiots put corn out on our spot over night. we were able to move up the hill, out of sight and close to a quarter mile up the dirt road and hunt all day. game warden even sat us up there. So, I have seen both sides of it.

Bass Bandito
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #331734
05/08/12 06:12 PM
05/08/12 06:12 PM
mobile,ala
R
richone Offline
3 point
richone  Offline
3 point
R
mobile,ala
if it's okay for UNCLE TED it must be the right thing to do ! lol

been hunting 55 years. a little slower but much wiser . laws are for outlaws not sportsmen. respect the land and the wildlife !
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: D Wilborn] #331801
05/08/12 08:20 PM
05/08/12 08:20 PM
alabama
BhamFred Online mad
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Online Mad
Freak of Nature
alabama

this^^^ is so not true.

if you have 10,000 acres you can definitely get far enough away from the bait to hunt legally on the same tract of land. The law requires that the hunter knew or should of known the existance of the bait to be prosecuted. One cannot be held accountable for bait that is miles away from where you are hunting.

troy

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: BhamFred] #332264
05/09/12 06:11 PM
05/09/12 06:11 PM
Cullman, AL
D Wilborn Offline
4 point
D Wilborn  Offline
4 point
Cullman, AL
It is at the discretion of the Game Warden!!!

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #332272
05/09/12 06:34 PM
05/09/12 06:34 PM
Cullman, AL
D Wilborn Offline
4 point
D Wilborn  Offline
4 point
Cullman, AL
We have some how gotten off track about the bill. It is NOT a Pro-baiting Bill. It is a Pro-feeding bill. People who are baiting will continue to bait. This will let those who would like to FEED quality feed to the deer on their property and continue the practice during deer season without being shut down. It will still be illegal to hunt over the bait. The only people I can possibly see being against this, would be those who are baiting. Those who bait will not be as successful if their neighbors can keep putting feed out, also.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #332281
05/09/12 06:58 PM
05/09/12 06:58 PM
alabama
BhamFred Online mad
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Online Mad
Freak of Nature
alabama
D, there is no discretion involved in making a decision on making an arrest just for being on the same property as bait that is miles away. There is no arrest to be made at that distance.

troy

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #332814
05/10/12 08:54 PM
05/10/12 08:54 PM
7STW Offline
spike
7STW  Offline
spike
I agree with Dennis 100%. There is definately a difference between supplrmental feeding and baiting. i have been feeding deer on our lease for over 15 years.They are fed soys and corn out of trough feeders and there is not a feeder within sight or shooting distance of any stand. we were visited 4 years ago by 2 game wardens on a Christmas weekend and with all 9 of my feeders being located on the sides of the dirt roads through my lease [so my lazy arss could load them out of the back of the truck] the only citations written were for no hunter orange on 2 guys. Whether these guys were going by the letter of the law or not, i don't know, but they obviously had run into this enough before that we weren't the first ones they had come across. They haven't been back since. I'm sure they could have tore us a new one and shut us down if they wanted.I think we owe it to the officers to give them the proper laws to determine what is Baiting and what is Feeding.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: D Wilborn] #332827
05/10/12 09:13 PM
05/10/12 09:13 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
We have some how gotten off track about the bill. It is NOT a Pro-baiting Bill. It is a Pro-feeding bill. People who are baiting will continue to bait. This will let those who would like to FEED quality feed to the deer on their property and continue the practice during deer season without being shut down. It will still be illegal to hunt over the bait. The only people I can possibly see being against this, would be those who are baiting. Those who bait will not be as successful if their neighbors can keep putting feed out, also.

A person can "feed" now and can't hunt over it, so if that is all that the bill is, then why is it "needed"? Sounds a whole lot more like a "baiting" bill to me or a bill to placate someone that has a monetary interest in "baiting" or "feeding".

It's funny, I am against it and I don't "bait" or "feed" out of a "deer" corn or "deer" feed bag, so that comment may need to be reeled back in.

To sum it up, a person can already do what the bill will allow and not everybody that is against the bill "baits", so I guess there is no justifiable reason for the bill. thumbup

Last edited by Fun4all; 05/10/12 09:14 PM.

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #332873
05/10/12 10:13 PM
05/10/12 10:13 PM
7STW Offline
spike
7STW  Offline
spike
I can tell you this for a fact. I have been keeping records on deer sightings and hunter man days on my property for over 10 years. When i stopped supplemental feeding 3 years ago,deer sightings and harvest on the 5 most productive green fields which are located on my north property line dropped by 40%. This property line is adjoined by a commercial hunting lodge.Do the math with that. They got the money and i ain't!

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: 7STW] #333028
05/11/12 09:24 AM
05/11/12 09:24 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: 7STW
I can tell you this for a fact. I have been keeping records on deer sightings and hunter man days on my property for over 10 years. When i stopped supplemental feeding 3 years ago,deer sightings and harvest on the 5 most productive green fields which are located on my north property line dropped by 40%. This property line is adjoined by a commercial hunting lodge.Do the math with that. They got the money and i ain't!

So does this mean you are for the bill or against the bill?

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Fun4all] #333575
05/12/12 10:07 AM
05/12/12 10:07 AM
Florence, Al
A
AlabamaSwamper Offline
10 point
AlabamaSwamper  Offline
10 point
A
Florence, Al

A person can "feed" now and can't hunt over it, so if that is all that the bill is, then why is it "needed"? Sounds a whole lot more like a "baiting" bill to me or a bill to placate someone that has a monetary interest in "baiting" or "feeding".

Good post. You are right. You can feed all you want now. A bill like this is nothing less than a bill to bait. It's obvious to everyone. Why not just call it like it is? That is my question. Why not just say, "hey, we want to bait our deer, just make some guidelines for us to do it". Pretty simple.

BTR Scorer in NW Alabama

Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #333581
05/12/12 10:27 AM
05/12/12 10:27 AM
Luverne, AL
Skinny Offline OP
GUVNER
Skinny  Offline OP
GUVNER
Luverne, AL
According to the legislature website, this bill is "Indefinitely Postponed in the House of Origin" which means its dead for this year. So I am going to unstick this post.

Never Trust Government

"You can be broke but you cant be poor." Ruthie-May Webster
Re: New Baiting Bill from the Senate [Re: Skinny] #333586
05/12/12 10:34 AM
05/12/12 10:34 AM
Montgomery
bamaeyedoc Offline
Old Mossy Horns
bamaeyedoc  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Montgomery
Originally Posted By: Skinny
According to the legislature website, this bill is "Indefinitely Postponed in the House of Origin" which means its dead for this year. So I am going to unstick this post.

Thank you, Skinny.

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.