</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
WTB - Browning Maxus
by Okatuppa. 04/26/24 11:25 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by cgardner. 04/26/24 07:15 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
92 registered members (Tupi, turfarmer, coosabuckhunter, rblaker, Mbrock, sj22, m97, skymech, Okatuppa, Turberville, MS_Hunter, 4Him146, bamaeyedoc, Bigem1958, BentBarrel, CNC, AU7MM08, jdfarm23, Holcomb, Dubie, Buck1976, beerhunter, RobN25, dave260rem!, jaredhunts, jprice, quailman, JustHunt, Cuz-Pat, BCLC, BigA47, Turkeyhunter12, hoggin, riflenut, bigfoot15, Paint Rock 00, MikeP, Frankie, Standbanger, Bruno, Haybale, M48scout, GHTiger10, Flatwoods, Mansfield, Skullworks, AustinC, Jdkprp70, timberwolfe, BamaGuitarDude, chill, FreeStateHunter, mauvilla, CCC, Jstocks, Narrow Gap, deadeye48, mw2015, WDE, Stacey, Squeaky, Geezer, BOFF, Big Al, imslower, Young20, Jweeks, walt4dun, 202P&Y, CTMS, canichols424, Dragfan66, Turkeyneck78, Ruger7mag, JLMiller, BamaBoHunter, AUjerbear, 300gr, Jotjackson, limabean, Chaser357, Kelly_123, ridgestalker, 9 invisible), 796 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: AU_trout_bum] #2766565
03/20/19 08:25 AM
03/20/19 08:25 AM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
12 point
turkey247  Offline
12 point
LASW
Originally Posted by AU_trout_bum
I am totally against a reduction in bag limits, until I see more data to support it. However, the idea that just because 3 or 4 gobblers are left to breed 30 or more hens isn't biologically sound from a genetics standpoint. You want genetic diversity in a breeding population and the more that is reduced, the more likely you will see inbreeding and our turkeys will start acting like West Virginians. I don't know what the magic number is for turkeys, but I'd bet the farm it's more than a handful of gobblers to 30 hens.

Brother struts next to brother and gets whooped by Daddy all the time - while fighting over brothers sister and Daddy’s daughter. Been happening since turkey started being turkey.

We get in the weeds sometimes with these discussions, but this is not much of a factor.

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2766574
03/20/19 08:29 AM
03/20/19 08:29 AM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by Ben2

Dang, how did we go from the 468 "saved" that GC provides to 1500? I don't understand using that figure even on a theoretical basis. I am an amateur when it comes to turkey biology, and have no qualifications to do it for a living, but I am supposed to know something about human behavior.

The estimated 70% of AL turkey hunters who ignore GC are already illegal hunters. They are hunting outside of the law. Why would anyone think they are suddenly going to decide to be legal? They won't. The 468 number is the one to use when discussing this. We are talking about less than 7 per county.

Someone said there was only 35% participation in game check so the actual number based on that is closer to 1500. I know several legal hunters who just dont game check but fill out their paper harvest record but they still kill turkeys within the limit

Ben, do you disagree with my point that the illegal hunters who don't participate in GC will be unaffected by any change in the limit? I am sure there are hunters who fill out the paperwork to avoid getting a ticket and then never GC the bird, but I suspect the ones who do that and tell you they stop at the limit are lying. wink

Troy has often said that in his experience most hunters who have the resources to kill more than 5 will kill more than 5. That's what I have noticed as well. I am very pessimistic about the prospects of getting hunters who won't GC their kills to obey any hunting regs. They have already shown that it doesn't hurt their conscience to break the law. Again, I think this is all about perception and will have no benefit for the turkeys.

The ones I know wont kill over the limit

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Southwood7] #2766595
03/20/19 08:46 AM
03/20/19 08:46 AM
Covington County
Squeaky Online content
12 point
Squeaky  Online Content
12 point
Covington County
Ben how much land do you hunt and what do you do every year to help grow/sustain your turkey population?

I am going to give you an example of how I have transformed a 750 acre tract of property from a mediocre turkey property into a jam up property by doing a few things. This property is not very far from you either. It also consist of typical Alabama property and not 750 acers of manicured hardwoods.Trapping coons/coyotes for starters, I live to far away but I got the deer hunters which live close by to wage war on the coons/coyotes. I invest a lot of money in white/red clover which I provide to the deer hunters free of charge and they plant the plots during the fall. I buy and plant at least 3 to 4 acres of chufa every year on this property. Lastly I manage my trigger finger! I am 6 years into leasing the sole turkey rights on this property and the population has grown with each year. I average any where from 10 to 12 mature gobblers and have seen at least 6 jakes and as many as 12 annually for the past 5 years. My partner and I take no more than 5 birds off this property every spring. We could kill a limit each year off this place if we choose to do so. The amount of jakes we have each year could handle any breeding the mature birds did not take care. It is our choice to leave some mature birds and finish out our limits on other properties. Do I think leaving the mature birds makes a difference, no I do not. If that was the case I should see 15 to 20 gobblers instead of the consistent numbers I have seen. There are several factors that come into play. My #1 factor is the amount of acreage. I know several of those mature birds range off of my lease never to be seen again. You will also have natural mortality or predator kills every year to some degree. You will also have poor hatches along with a lot more variables that lead to turkey population decline on certain years. We has game keepers can help by buy doing things we can control which are mentioned above. Those are just a few basic things most land owners/lease holders can do that help.

It takes extra money, effort and some self imposed restrictions to ensure I have turkeys to hunt each spring. I don't need the state to limit my opportunities to hunt in my home state. What would be helpful is if the state would encourage more trapping and predator hunting. If would also be helpful to publish information/guidance on how land owners and lease holders could improve their properties to promote a better turkey population. I get emails all the time from the Alabama DNR and very little is useful to me. They need to use this avenue to help promote and educate folks that otherwise are to lazy to ask/look for the help or simply don't know where to start to find the information. I did not learn what I know today overnight and I sure wish I had the knowledge I know now at my finger tips much earlier.

I have never seen a state or federal mandated plan work out as intended. I'm sure there are many success stories out there, but I have never seen one. What I have seen and agree with PCP here, is the freedom the state has given land owners/lease holders to manage their property for better wildlife. This is encouraged by the length of our season and generous bag limits. Take that away and I have the same fear as many do have here, that land owners/lease holders will do less and it be determinantal to population.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Southwood7] #2766623
03/20/19 09:19 AM
03/20/19 09:19 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Squeaky, just stop talking all of that sense!!!!!! Everybody knows that the only way hunting gets better is if the government runs, regulates, legislate and demands that the peasants will do it their way and like it no matter the outcome!!

Educate, not legislate is the key!!!!!!

Benn saying that for years, folks are to uneducated to know about education I guess.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Southwood7] #2766655
03/20/19 10:02 AM
03/20/19 10:02 AM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Online content
14 point
ridgestalker  Online Content
14 point
R
North Jackson
Unless they go to tags that are attached to the deer or turkey before moving all these numbers are useless IMO. I would like to know how many people report their 5 th bird the last week of the season.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Squeaky] #2766760
03/20/19 11:58 AM
03/20/19 11:58 AM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Ben how much land do you hunt and what do you do every year to help grow/sustain your turkey population?

I am going to give you an example of how I have transformed a 750 acre tract of property from a mediocre turkey property into a jam up property by doing a few things. This property is not very far from you either. It also consist of typical Alabama property and not 750 acers of manicured hardwoods.Trapping coons/coyotes for starters, I live to far away but I got the deer hunters which live close by to wage war on the coons/coyotes. I invest a lot of money in white/red clover which I provide to the deer hunters free of charge and they plant the plots during the fall. I buy and plant at least 3 to 4 acres of chufa every year on this property. Lastly I manage my trigger finger! I am 6 years into leasing the sole turkey rights on this property and the population has grown with each year. I average any where from 10 to 12 mature gobblers and have seen at least 6 jakes and as many as 12 annually for the past 5 years. My partner and I take no more than 5 birds off this property every spring. We could kill a limit each year off this place if we choose to do so. The amount of jakes we have each year could handle any breeding the mature birds did not take care. It is our choice to leave some mature birds and finish out our limits on other properties. Do I think leaving the mature birds makes a difference, no I do not. If that was the case I should see 15 to 20 gobblers instead of the consistent numbers I have seen. There are several factors that come into play. My #1 factor is the amount of acreage. I know several of those mature birds range off of my lease never to be seen again. You will also have natural mortality or predator kills every year to some degree. You will also have poor hatches along with a lot more variables that lead to turkey population decline on certain years. We has game keepers can help by buy doing things we can control which are mentioned above. Those are just a few basic things most land owners/lease holders can do that help.

It takes extra money, effort and some self imposed restrictions to ensure I have turkeys to hunt each spring. I don't need the state to limit my opportunities to hunt in my home state. What would be helpful is if the state would encourage more trapping and predator hunting. If would also be helpful to publish information/guidance on how land owners and lease holders could improve their properties to promote a better turkey population. I get emails all the time from the Alabama DNR and very little is useful to me. They need to use this avenue to help promote and educate folks that otherwise are to lazy to ask/look for the help or simply don't know where to start to find the information. I did not learn what I know today overnight and I sure wish I had the knowledge I know now at my finger tips much earlier.

I have never seen a state or federal mandated plan work out as intended. I'm sure there are many success stories out there, but I have never seen one. What I have seen and agree with PCP here, is the freedom the state has given land owners/lease holders to manage their property for better wildlife. This is encouraged by the length of our season and generous bag limits. Take that away and I have the same fear as many do have here, that land owners/lease holders will do less and it be determinantal to population.

Mike, would it be safe to say you wouldn’t go to all that trouble if you could only kill 3? Me personally, I feel pretty confident I can scrounge up 3 birds between the couple of places close to home I hunt and public land. I’d drop the turkey rights I have in south Alabama, stop planting Chufas, etc. there simply wouldn’t be any point in leasing a ton of land or putting a ton of work into it. As I’ve witnessed in Georgia, I think this would be a widespread mindset.

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Squeaky] #2766779
03/20/19 12:18 PM
03/20/19 12:18 PM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham

Squeaky yes we trap hogs, coyotes, coons. We have 3 people that hunt and none of them have ever killed a limit off the place in 25 years. The past 5 years we have not killed a 5 bird limit between the three of us in any season We have feeders out year round, about 300 acres of our 1200 is agriculture land farmed by a member here corn soybean or cotton though normally cotton. Before that is was a cattle farm. We plant clover with all our our food plots and plant clover in any openings we have like loading docs etc. We plant plant fields with only grains like sorghum and millet that we leave standing all winter then bush hog in the spring. We have tried chufas but hogs destroyed them but dont bother the grains as much. We have planted pines ranging from 3 years old to 25 year old stands. We burn stands of pines on a rotation. I would say the set up we have is picture perfect Turkey habitat. We have swamps and hill sides with beautiful hardwood timber, river bottoms, oak flats etc. It used to be covered up. Bit I am not co cerned about our property I have watched some heavily managed places up to 5000 acres basically have populations cut to nearly 0 where for the last 25 years turkeys were absolutely everywhere. Is there any data that shows a population decline in the last decade in Alabama or is it just on the 6 or 8 properties I have been privileged to hunt?

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Ben2] #2766784
03/20/19 12:21 PM
03/20/19 12:21 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

Dang, how did we go from the 468 "saved" that GC provides to 1500? I don't understand using that figure even on a theoretical basis. I am an amateur when it comes to turkey biology, and have no qualifications to do it for a living, but I am supposed to know something about human behavior.

The estimated 70% of AL turkey hunters who ignore GC are already illegal hunters. They are hunting outside of the law. Why would anyone think they are suddenly going to decide to be legal? They won't. The 468 number is the one to use when discussing this. We are talking about less than 7 per county.

Someone said there was only 35% participation in game check so the actual number based on that is closer to 1500. I know several legal hunters who just dont game check but fill out their paper harvest record but they still kill turkeys within the limit

Ben, do you disagree with my point that the illegal hunters who don't participate in GC will be unaffected by any change in the limit? I am sure there are hunters who fill out the paperwork to avoid getting a ticket and then never GC the bird, but I suspect the ones who do that and tell you they stop at the limit are lying. wink

Troy has often said that in his experience most hunters who have the resources to kill more than 5 will kill more than 5. That's what I have noticed as well. I am very pessimistic about the prospects of getting hunters who won't GC their kills to obey any hunting regs. They have already shown that it doesn't hurt their conscience to break the law. Again, I think this is all about perception and will have no benefit for the turkeys.

The ones I know wont kill over the limit

I believe that someone told you that, but I doubt they were telling you the truth.

Think about it - you can't hunt with a GC paper form that already has a turkey on it, and the kill is over 48 hrs and doesn't have a GC number. Anyone would know that will get you a ticket for sure if the GW checks you. So the only way they can get around that is to destroy their Harvest Record after every turkey and then print out a new one. Anyone who does this has made a cold and premeditated decision to break the game laws. And now these same people will decide that they have to abide by a reduced limit?

People are certainly capable of irrational thinking, and I believe those guys are great examples if they were telling you the truth. If you are sure they would obey a reduced limit, then you must have discussed this with them in depth. How did they justify their premeditated decision to break the regs on GC, and yet they would feel bound by a lower limit? I would really be interested in the thought process there.

My observation is that most people either decide to accept the authority of the DCNR, or to reject it. I certainly know of folks who have rejected it, but to a man they would tell you that they will laugh at any limit reduction.

I believe that there would be a high correlation of those who ignore GC and those who would ignore a lower limit. It may not be 1:1, but it would be close. Of course, most of them would also lie about it. I think your friends are pulling your leg; it just doesn't seem like normal behavior.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Southwood7] #2766874
03/20/19 02:19 PM
03/20/19 02:19 PM
West Alabama
C
Conserve11 Offline
spike
Conserve11  Offline
spike
C
West Alabama
Tags are the only answer for deer and turkey and game wardens that actually check them instead of constantly looking for corn piles. We need more wardens riding these dirt roads stopping every time a truck is seen at a gate and follow any truck cruising. Saw one just last week that pulled up to gate listening , knowingly poaching and when asked what they'd heard they jump in truck. Black ford lamar county

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Southwood7] #2767155
03/20/19 07:44 PM
03/20/19 07:44 PM
Waverly, Ala
F
Festus Offline
4 point
Festus  Offline
4 point
F
Waverly, Ala
CHUCK SYKES is the BEST thing that Ever happened to the Game and Fish Division....HE HAS A COLLEGE DEGREE....and knows how to Administer his Knowledge....WDE!!!!!!!!

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Atoler] #2767446
03/21/19 05:39 AM
03/21/19 05:39 AM
Covington County
Squeaky Online content
12 point
Squeaky  Online Content
12 point
Covington County
Originally Posted by Atoler

Mike, would it be safe to say you wouldn’t go to all that trouble if you could only kill 3? Me personally, I feel pretty confident I can scrounge up 3 birds between the couple of places close to home I hunt and public land. I’d drop the turkey rights I have in south Alabama, stop planting Chufas, etc. there simply wouldn’t be any point in leasing a ton of land or putting a ton of work into it. As I’ve witnessed in Georgia, I think this would be a widespread mindset.

Austin I would cut way back on what I do and the land I lease. I’m like you and could scratch out a 3 bird limit on public and a few private tracts I can hunt for free.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Southwood7] #2767639
03/21/19 11:06 AM
03/21/19 11:06 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

Y'know, if they'd just go to a 2-gobbler limit and knock two weeks off of the season, think of all the birds that could be "saved" and stockpiled for the future.

Duck hunters had to do this for a while in the 1980s with the 1-bird daily limit.

Going to a season limit of two gobblers with a minimum beard length of 5 or 6 inches and making the season April 1-30 could do wonders. Just like with the 3-buck limit, we'd have scads more mature bucks and a healthier herd of turkeys.

It's for the good of the turkeys. Besides, who needs to kill more than two birds a season anyway? If it's truly about the experience and "being in Creation" and all, then two should be enough.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Clem] #2767641
03/21/19 11:10 AM
03/21/19 11:10 AM
USA
R
Remington270 Offline
Freak of Nature
Remington270  Offline
Freak of Nature
R
USA
Originally Posted by Clem

Y'know, if they'd just go to a 2-gobbler limit and knock two weeks off of the season, think of all the birds that could be "saved" and stockpiled for the future.

Duck hunters had to do this for a while in the 1980s with the 1-bird daily limit.

Going to a season limit of two gobblers with a minimum beard length of 5 or 6 inches and making the season April 1-30 could do wonders. Just like with the 3-buck limit, we'd have scads more mature bucks and a healthier herd of turkeys.

It's for the good of the turkeys. Besides, who needs to kill more than two birds a season anyway? If it's truly about the experience and "being in Creation" and all, then two should be enough.

Yep, but why not 1-bird, on alternate years? Pretty soon we could have a turkey extravaganza. And I think we need an app to log any gobbles heard, you know, just so that we have more data. Data is good, right? Besides, it's easy!

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Southwood7] #2767645
03/21/19 11:16 AM
03/21/19 11:16 AM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
Another factor I never hear discussed is when birds 4, 5, and beyond actually get killed relative to the start of the season? For every capable turkey hunter I know, I don't know a single one who will kill more than one in a day in Alabama....even the outlaws. With that being said, and given the fact it is unheard of to kill 5 turkeys in as many days up this way, assuming it takes a minimum of a couple weeks to kill all 5.....what possible difference could it make in the population if gobblers 4 and 5 don't get killed until say two weeks into the season AT LEAST? The whole premise of cutting the limit is just flawed in every single aspect. There simply is no logic or biological basis/premise for doing it. Totally illogical and an effort in futility on every front.

I personally, given I fully understand from observation and trail cameras how many hens haven't even thought about breeding when our season opens, would have no problem with them starting the season later (but with NO freakin days taken away!) in extreme north Alabama and could quasi get behind that change having a biologically sound reason for doing so. The limit reduction would be nothing but PC, liberal, feelgoodism bullchit that does absolutely nothing other than take away opportunities from law-abiding hunters, remove the motivation for folks doing habitat improvements and predator control to help the flocks, etc. etc. It would have way more negative impact than positive.

Last edited by JUGHEAD; 03/21/19 01:21 PM.

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: JUGHEAD] #2767648
03/21/19 11:22 AM
03/21/19 11:22 AM
Boxes Cove
2Dogs Offline
Freak of Nature
2Dogs  Offline
Freak of Nature
Boxes Cove
Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
Another factor I never hear discussed is when birds 4, 5, and beyond actually get killed relative to the start of the season? For every capable turkey hunter I know, I don't know a single one who will kill more than one in a day in Alabama....even the outlaws. With that being said, and given the fact it is unheard of to kill 5 turkeys in as many days up this way, assuming it takes a minimum of a couple weeks to kill all 5.....what possible difference could it make in the population is gobblers 4 and 5 don't get killed until say two weeks into the season AT LEAST? The whole premise of cutting the limit is just flawed in every single aspect. I personally, given I fully understand from observation and trail cameras how many hens haven't even thought about breeding when our season opens, would have no problem with them starting the season later in extreme north Alabama and could quasi get behind that change having a biologically sound reason for doing so. The limit reduction would be nothing but PC, liberal, feelgoodism bullchit that does absolutely nothing other than take away opportunities from law-abiding hunters.

You make some good points Juggy. I'll add what I see from the hunters I know they kill a bird or two and move on to another spot, "leaving some for seed" as they say. Most hunters are not gonna kill every gobbler from a property even if they tried. I think the whole not enough gobblers to get the breeding done is total BS. Predators , predators and more predators is the biggest problem IMO.

Last edited by 2Dogs; 03/21/19 11:27 AM.

"Why do you ask"?

Always vote the slowest path to socialism.

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: JUGHEAD] #2767649
03/21/19 11:24 AM
03/21/19 11:24 AM
Coosa County, AL
Coosa1 Offline
SOA Professional
Coosa1  Offline
SOA Professional
Coosa County, AL
For every capable turkey hunter I know, I don't know a single one who will kill more than one in a day in Alabama....even the outlaws.

I was sent a picture of one guy holding up three dead longbeards opening morning. It's an internal struggle for me trying to decide on whether or not to throw buddies under the bus and report them for killing WAY over the limit of birds.

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Coosa1] #2767721
03/21/19 01:05 PM
03/21/19 01:05 PM
B
blade Offline
12 point
blade  Offline
12 point
B
Originally Posted by Coosa1
For every capable turkey hunter I know, I don't know a single one who will kill more than one in a day in Alabama....even the outlaws.

I was sent a picture of one guy holding up three dead longbeards opening morning. It's an internal struggle for me trying to decide on whether or not to throw buddies under the bus and report them for killing WAY over the limit of birds.

Yeah, this is probably the only thing I disagree with in Jugheads post. Lots of more than one a days killed...

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: blade] #2767731
03/21/19 01:20 PM
03/21/19 01:20 PM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
Originally Posted by blade
Originally Posted by Coosa1

Yeah, this is probably the only thing I disagree with in Jugheads post. Lots of more than one a days killed...
I find that rather intriguing (and equally disgusting). I know some outlaws, who kill lots of turkeys every year. Yet, I don't know anybody who will even think about shooting a second turkey from the same setup (unless they are outside of Alabama). They would much rather let the rest of the turkeys walk off in hopes of getting to call them up and experience them all over again on another day. Though these guys might break the limit, there is a very healthy level of self-imposed "ethics" associated with it (i.e. no more than 2 off of any one property/locale in a year, NEVER shoot more than one even if you called up 10 together, never shoot a jake for any reason, etc. etc.). These guys have tons and tons and tons of acreage to hunt and are rather conservation mindful, being super careful not to "hurt" any one property anywhere. They also have lots of time to hunt em and are really good turkey hunters. They would have to quit or go to another state pretty early most years, if they stopped at 5 that is. My personal opinion is though they break man's law, they don't hurt a THING as it pertains to turkey population dynamics. Their effects are just spread over too much property and the wild turkey's reproductive cycle is too unique to convince me otherwise.

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters
Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: 2Dogs] #2767737
03/21/19 01:30 PM
03/21/19 01:30 PM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Predators , predators and more predators is the biggest problem IMO.
I agree that predators, and the heavily intertwined and co-dependent habitat landscape, is the biggest factor that mankind can influence. I will always believe that the wrong weather during the most fragile/infant days for poults is the biggest factor there is. That one factor alone is the only one that has the potential to produce a large-scale wipeout of a year's worth of poults in one fell swoop. We have had coons, crows, snakes, possums, foxes, bobcats, and anything else we can think of for as long as we have had turkeys and I will always believe the Lord created the wild turkey with enough survival skills adaptation for hens to do what it takes to overcome those factors as a whole and at least keep a population steady over time, but there is nothing at all that can be done to change the weather when it counts.

Last edited by JUGHEAD; 03/21/19 01:36 PM.

Re: Interesting turkey info from Chuck Sykes [Re: Southwood7] #2767753
03/21/19 02:02 PM
03/21/19 02:02 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
I knew plenty of outlaws in Greene Co that would kill all three if three birds came in together if they could. And kill a bird in the morning and one in the afternoon....and one on the side of the road on the way home.

There were lots of folks that killed over the yearly limit EVERY year, damn near every one that Could...DID. I probably didn't know or know of a handful of hunters that had the time, places, and ability to kill over the limit that never did, always quit on the limit.

I think the number of folks that kill a limit , or over, is badly underestimated. I men, who is going to admit it on a survey????

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.