</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
127 registered members (SouthBamaSlayer, birdcarver, jbatey1, Gotcha1, Happysappy, Pwyse, Bustinbeards, BrentsFX4, UA Hunter, CAL, CKyleC, mdf, dirtwrk, green river 123, TensawRiver, CAM, abolt300, !shiloh!, cullbuck, Birdartist, BCLC, hue, Woody1, mdavis, 7x57_Mauser, BhamFred, wareagle22, Okatuppa, clayk, T72, Semo, chill, Big AL 76, mw2015, ronfromramer, Bamajoz, burbank, Sandmtnslayer, coldtrail, mzzy, Richard Cranium, M48scout, treemydog, catdoctor, turfarmer, rem-one, nate409, Davyalabama, Marengo hunter, limabean, Fattyfireplug, Paxamus, tidenate, 7mmSTW, jhardy, globe, outdoorguy88, Longtine, MikeP, deerhunter_1, Ron A., scrubbuck, cch, AustinC, Bigem1958, Hoytdad10, DGAMBLER, Mjh97, WC82, AU338MAG, jake44, Mulcher, ALMODUX, apolloslade, BigA47, Bruno, hoggin, JohnnyLoco, Sasquatch Lives, Jstocks, Aldecks1, Overland, Hunter454, bug54, Catbird, quailman, akbejeepin, claybird, Stacey, filespinner, Floorman1, Turkey_neck, Bushmaster, Bandit635, Stickers, Johnal3, NotsoBright, IMISSALDEER, DoubleB, Turkey, 3006bullet, Big Buck Video, Gut Pile 32, crenshawco, Ridge Life, UncleHuck, MC21, Turkey Petter, Forrestgump1, Rolloverdave, doublefistful, 3Gs, Shotts, turkeychaser, zwick, JohnG, BentBarrel, Bmyers142, mathews prostaff, 8 invisible), 907 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740493
02/17/19 05:36 PM
02/17/19 05:36 PM
the Flatwoods
F
Fldoghunter Offline
6 point
Fldoghunter  Offline
6 point
F
the Flatwoods
I guess it's all in the way you look at things. To somebody who grew up hunting central Fl public land, Alabama hunting (even if it ain't what it used to be), seems pretty good.

The wife and I went in halves with my brother on 80 acres in south Alabama with plans to enjoy it recreationally for 20 years or so, then build a house and retire on it. The land prices in Fl are outrageous a 10 acre tract will cost you 10-15 thousand an acre plus. The city is gobbling up the country so fast its unbelievable. Traffic, even in the country, gets worse every year. Places that used to grow oranges and cows now grow houses like weeds. Leases in south Fl are 7-10 K per person, to kill bucks most of yall would let walk.. Leases in north Fl are usually 12-25 hundred to shoot "legal" deer.

I keep hearing how tough Al public land is to hunt and I keep thinking that it can't be tougher than the swamps and flat woods I'm used to. I plan to try out some of it next year.

My advice (for what its worth) is sure, do all you can to make your hunting better, but in the end don't stress about it too much. It will take the fun out of it. Make the most out of what yall have and know it could surely be worse.

May the sound of hounds never die!
Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740533
02/17/19 06:18 PM
02/17/19 06:18 PM
Albertville
R
Racksrus Offline OP
spike
Racksrus  Offline OP
spike
R
Albertville
And yes it could be worse. I am just to the point I'm not gonna pay much for sub standard deer hunting here. I can set my sights low and land in cheap clubs and or public hunting. And coming off the hip thinking it's gonna get you to the land flowing in milk and honey can be naive. And yes there are a few milk and honey spots. As said there is more to our experience than just the hunt. And those things can be accomplished without spending a lot. At core here is dropping large amounts of money. When I get in my pocket book heavy things have to pick up in the hunting department. Someone mentioned my group and our harvests. I was in no way involved in taking those scrubs. And everyone that did it boldly professed to not be those kind of hunters prior to the opening of season. Lesson there is actions speak louder than words.

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740565
02/17/19 07:05 PM
02/17/19 07:05 PM
CentrAL
C
coach41 Offline
4 point
coach41  Offline
4 point
C
CentrAL
I hope my comments only add perspective and don't sound too negative about AL hunting. However, being a military family, I've had the privilege of hunting a lot of states (and overseas). I've killed deer in NC, VA, GA, IL, WY, SD, CO, NE, AL, and NJ. (Yes NJ LoL). The only state I've lived in for any considerable amount of time and didn't kill a deer was FL. (That's mainly because I had a bang up place in Georgia to hunt near my work.) In AL, I have hunted Chambers, Randolph, Bullock, Coffee, and Crenshaw counties. All private leases or timber company leases. Mainly pine plantation, but some hardwoods/SMZs. Being not from AL and not growing up here; there aint no family/friends land these days. So mostly what's been available is pine plantation with thick understory (less than desirable habitat, and it's tough hunting). I think folks hold onto their leases whether the hunting is good, it's close to home, etc. Not a lot of turnover on good hunting ground. I'm sure there are some vacancies out there in some quality clubs, but I like doing my own thing, planting my own plots, and missing out on the drama.

Based on my 40+ years of hunting experience, with the last 6 being here, AL is at the bottom of my list for quality and quantity of deer sightings. I realize we have a lot of factors to consider. Weather, trickle rut, rut in hot weather that wears bucks down (possibly increasing mortality each year), but I firmly believe pressure is the biggest factor. We have a lot of "house" dogs and collared hunting dogs push deer year round. Not to mention the amount of coyotes and bobcats we get on camera too. Seems to be quite a bit of trespassing/poaching, night hunting, road hunting, and less than desirable activity. Not to mention there's scent in the woods from 15 October to 10 February each year. Thats the longest season I know of.

For whatever reasons, a 3+ year old AL buck is a whiley creature. If you kill him, you have done a much larger feat than if you kill a midwest deer of the same age. Even then, he's lucky to sport 100" of horn. There's just no way I'd pay what I'm paying for a lease anywhere else in the US for the quality of hunting I've experienced here...but if I don't, somebody else will. Either it's a guy down in FL who don't have much chance at good hunting close to home, or it's somebody local looking for greener pastures because it seems not many are satisfied these days.

Again, just my perspective. If you have a better experience, good. Be thankful. I'm hopeful mine will get better...somehow.

"Now boy, are you sure you can skin griz?"
Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: coach41] #2740571
02/17/19 07:19 PM
02/17/19 07:19 PM
ArmPit of the south
D
DeerNutz0U812_ Offline
Booner
DeerNutz0U812_  Offline
Booner
D
ArmPit of the south
I don't get it....whats your point....Your upset because you pay a ton of money and dont shoot much...Or your buddies are paying a ton and you don't feel they are getting their moneys worth....What is the point of this thread... confused You mad bro.... crazy Cost vs return on Deer Hunting never adds up... slap

Did you know that Beer Nutz are over a Dollar...and Deer Nutz are under a Buck...

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740583
02/17/19 07:36 PM
02/17/19 07:36 PM
ArmPit of the south
D
DeerNutz0U812_ Offline
Booner
DeerNutz0U812_  Offline
Booner
D
ArmPit of the south
When you start hunting for you and your enjoyment and not worry about crap you cant control youll prolly start killing better Deer and have a more enjoyable experience...02

Did you know that Beer Nutz are over a Dollar...and Deer Nutz are under a Buck...

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740615
02/17/19 08:19 PM
02/17/19 08:19 PM
Ramer
ronfromramer Online content
10 point
ronfromramer  Online Content
10 point
Ramer
Personally, I think the biggest problem is lack of trigger control and the I've got to get my money's worth attitude. I'm fortunate to live and hunt in black belt territory. If you give them time to get to 4 or 5 there's a good chance a buck will grow 120-140"+ and 150-160 are possible but those bucks don't max out until 6 or 7 yrs old. Regardless of genetics a 2 yr old buck will rarely get to 120. Most land around here is leased or privately hunted and leases go for $10-15/acre. Fortunately most folks around here are going for quality and not hunting for meat. Let em go, let em grow.
We probably don't kill as many does as we should but the coyotes do work on the fawns

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740692
02/17/19 09:46 PM
02/17/19 09:46 PM
Albertville
R
Racksrus Offline OP
spike
Racksrus  Offline OP
spike
R
Albertville
Here is the bottom line. We all know its gonna cost something to hunt. As I've stated I don't mind paying. But a lot of folks are getting rooked . Simply put paying big money for leases in Bama is a dice roll. Prices are way too high for land, generally speaking. Especially for what you get. If you are okay with dropping big money and seeing a few 100 inchers then someone will definitely oblige you. I personally have not dropped what I would call big money in this State. Don't really have to. Our 450 acre Illinois farm has deer that will push 200 inches. Even though Alabama can't hold a candle to that caliber hunting, I really enjoy the hunting here. Just we need to our lease prices in proper perspective. And most of the people who hunt quite a bit know this. I think I'm accurate in saying that a lot you guys don't do that well in terms of quality and sometimes even quantity. I'm calling BS on it. Again we have some good spots but we got a lot of substandard ones. I can just hear Billy Bob Buck Teeth now. "Oh we got some Giants on our place "And just on and on with a bunch of talk. And this poor soul hasn't shot a decent deer in 10 years. And then he will go to Facebook and see a few snapshot's from a pool of a half million hunters and say "Told ya we had em" . And that's the point. Stop getting sucked in to a bunch of hype and get land prices their proper perspective.

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740697
02/17/19 09:50 PM
02/17/19 09:50 PM
AL
T
therealhojo Offline
8 point
therealhojo  Offline
8 point
T
AL
What do you call big money? I would say that is different to who you are asking too

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740700
02/17/19 09:53 PM
02/17/19 09:53 PM
marshall illinois
N
noble Offline
spike
noble  Offline
spike
N
marshall illinois
Our leases are 3-4 times what your leases are, a rich mans game now. In turn that hurts hunting by just taking bucks soon wont be any big bucks cause middle tier bucks all gone. It all goes back to hunter taking responsibility for managing what deer they have irrelevant of what neighbor does. Management starts with you.

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: DeerNutz0U812_] #2740717
02/17/19 10:08 PM
02/17/19 10:08 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted by DeerNutz0U812_
When you start hunting for you and your enjoyment and not worry about crap you cant control youll prolly start killing better Deer and have a more enjoyable experience...02

Probably won’t kill better deer,but the more enjoyable experience.....yes

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/
Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740718
02/17/19 10:11 PM
02/17/19 10:11 PM
Albertville
R
Racksrus Offline OP
spike
Racksrus  Offline OP
spike
R
Albertville
Yes Noble you are 100 % right. It starts with us. And someone has to take a stand or you will fall for anything. These same people who ask what's my point and won't oppose price gouging would raise hell if when they went to the grocery store checkout and started to pay and was told "Hey Bud we decided we are gonna charge you double and go put back half your cart". Don't be someone who says nothing or defends the way things are. Be like Donald Trump. Whether you like him or not he says Washington is a damn mess and needs to be fixed !
Well he is right ! Have to admire someone who don't just give us some smooth talk.

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740720
02/17/19 10:15 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
As far as the state of our State’s hunting at least in my area it is a shadow of what it once was and if / when my current hunting property in Alabama that I lease sells it will be the last property I lease in Alabama. I will hunt my 96 acres if I feel the urge , but I will not buy another Alabama hunting license to support a Department that has done so little to manage the deer herd across the State as a whole.

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/
Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740721
AL
T
therealhojo Offline
8 point
therealhojo  Offline
8 point
T
AL
Originally Posted by Racksrus
Yes Noble you are 100 % right. It starts with us. And someone has to take a stand or you will fall for anything. These same people who ask what's my point and won't oppose price gouging would raise hell if when they went to the grocery store checkout and started to pay and was told "Hey Bud we decided we are gonna charge you double and go put back half your cart". Don't be someone who says nothing or defends the way things are. Be like Donald Trump. Whether you like him or not he says Washington is a damn mess and needs to be fixed !
Well he is right ! Have to admire someone who don't just give us some smooth talk.

I'm not sure you understand how supply and demand works.................

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740727
02/17/19 10:31 PM
02/17/19 10:31 PM
Hoover,Al. StateChamps
B
Big Bore Offline
10 point
Big Bore  Offline
10 point
B
Hoover,Al. StateChamps
Sorry for the slap of reality......high lease prices are here to stay. Lots of people with $$$$ in and out of this state willing to pay to hunt here. Prices only going up. Just the law of supply and demand.

Hunting brings out the worst in people.
Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740731
02/17/19 10:36 PM
02/17/19 10:36 PM
Banana Republic
jb20 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
jb20  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Banana Republic
I agree racksrus I told someone on lease forum other day I'd be more proud of 120 inch deer from my county than 150 inch deer from Illinois and they said they quit hunting lol...i reckon it's how u compare a trophy? I can guarantee that mine would be harder to kill where I hunt tho..etowah co don't have as many as some..and if cwd takes over theys plenty squirrel frogs and fish to get...hell I may take up trapping if that happens

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin
Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740736
02/17/19 10:49 PM
02/17/19 10:49 PM
North AL
T
Thefofive Offline
spike
Thefofive  Offline
spike
T
North AL
Racksrus, first of all, if you hunt in a club where the attitude of: "I've got to kill a buck to get my money's worth!", is acceptable to the rest of your group or your board or president, I'd pack my stuff and find somewhere else to hunt. My club kills bucks based on bucks' age and not so much antler score. But like anything else, hunting is like this... the more disciplined, educated (abt your hobby), unselfish, work done, restrained on the trigger finger, etc... you and your hunting partners are, the better off you'll all be. I will NOT hunt in a club where 2 yr olds are shot!.

My club lets, for the most part, 3 yr old bucks and younger walk. Yes, there are some 3 yr olds that do get shot because they have an exceptional rack on their head and we're trying to address not shooting these potential monsters at 3 yrs old. Yes, we allow fist time hunters to shoot the buck of his/her choice. We have almost zero turn-over in members but if a new member joins, and he has a first time hunter, we tell the new member to not let his first time hunter shoot a two year old buck. I mean if he wants to, that's fine HOWVER, with only a few hours put in, that young hunter is guaranteed to see a 3 yr old with a decent rack within 100 yds.

I had a great year! Wanna know how many bucks I killed? ZERO, but I saw tons of immature bucks( this includes a lot of 3 yr old bucks I elected not to shoot) and I just couldn't make it happen on the mature bucks I did see. Granted, I hunt woods more then food plots and I bow hunt more than gun hunt.

Each year, my club's property (3000+ ac) has an age class that carries over to the next year. Because we shoot zero 2 yr old bucks or younger and very few 3 yr old bucks, we have a good crop of bucks entering the 3, 4, 5+ age class each year. It stands to reason that we kill some decent bucks. Our tops bucks are mid 130's but if he's a 4 yr old, hey, that's a trophy no matter what's on his head!

If someone makes a mistake and shoots an immature buck, it's not hell, fire and damnation if it's truly a mistake. Shooting an immature buck because you haven't killed a buck all year, will get your ass thrown out of the club as that's blatant disregard for our rules.

So, I hunt with like-minded hunters. None of us is greedy. We ALL want to shoot 4 yr old bucks. And, it's not that hard ageing a buck on the hoof. Esp in a food plot! In the woods, it's harder, certainly. Shooting 2 and 3 yr old bucks is not that hard to do... IF YOU HAVE THEM. They're like 16 or 17 yr old boys in heat... they don't think! When they turn 4, they're a different animal.

Anyway, if killing a 2 yr old buck is not against your rules or there are no consequence$ of shooting such, that's not good. But NTL, you have to hunt with hunters that understand the basic biology of whitetail deer and they better be willing to understand that you don't HAVE to kill a buck to have a successful season.

I enjoyed my year. Saw lots of bucks and had fun. The hardest thing is finding a club that manages based off whitetail deer biology and not coffee shop talk. If your club thinks that it can manage its buck pop based off genetics and killing undesirable "cull" bucks (IN A FREE RANGE), your club or club management isn't doing its homework and doesn't know deer biology.

If you ever hunt in a club where 80% of bucks shot are 4 yrs old, you'll NEVER go back to the level where your current club is now. The difference is night and day in hunter satisfaction.

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740742
02/17/19 10:57 PM
02/17/19 10:57 PM
North AL
T
Thefofive Offline
spike
Thefofive  Offline
spike
T
North AL
If any club management starts talking about shooting culls, I'd look for a different club as that club hasn't done what it needs to do to manage a deer herd. Genetics is the LAST "hole in the bucket" you try to plug. Age and nutrition are what you really need to concentrate on! Try waiting until they're 4 yrs old before you shoot a buck. If they're not what you want in a rack at 4 yrs old, then shoot him as he's not ever (usually) going to be a great rack. And if he's a pretty good buck, you may consider shooting him anyway as you may not ever see that buck again! At some point, ya gotta pick the fruit! However, at 4 yrs old, that buck is a trophy. Maybe not in antler size, but a 4 yr old Bama Buck is hard to kill.

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740790
02/18/19 12:12 AM
02/18/19 12:12 AM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Online content
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Online Content
10 point
Banks of Little River
I pay $312 for out of state all game for what feels like the longest deer season ever, drive 787 miles one way and I’m in my stand before dark the same day, give my arteries a workout with nasty Conecuh sausage, kill some deer, small game, and predators, sit by the creek in the morn, watch the sunset from the hill in the evening, visit kin folk...

Thats my trophy and anyone that puts a score on a set of deer antlers needs their head examined.

Rinse & Repeat

Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: Racksrus] #2740847
02/18/19 07:33 AM
02/18/19 07:33 AM
Montgomery, Alabama
jaredhunts Offline
Puts sugar in his cornbread!
jaredhunts  Offline
Puts sugar in his cornbread!
Montgomery, Alabama
Meh.

It be's that way sometimes.

www.sunpoolcompany.com
Re: The State of the State of our deer hunting [Re: DeerNutz0U812_] #2741227
02/18/19 04:22 PM
02/18/19 04:22 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted by DeerNutz0U812_

What does that mean? Practically?

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.