</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
For trade: cases of 12ga target for 20 ga
by Garndawg. 04/26/24 05:07 PM
WTB Ollie Baker Mainspring Winder (with clamps)
by BamaGuitarDude. 04/26/24 04:24 PM
Remington 700 mountain rifle
by Reyn. 04/26/24 04:24 PM
Browning X-bolt 300 win mag
by mauvilla. 04/26/24 02:36 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by Big Game Hunter. 04/26/24 01:39 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (trailertrash, JustHunt, lectrode, eclipse829, BamaGuitarDude, Ray_Coon, GomerPyle, RareBreed, coosabuckhunter, goodman_hunter, BCD, RSF, GHTiger10, furnfeather, MS_Hunter, Spec, BrandonClark, BentBarrel, rhino21, Turberville, crenshawco, Beak_Buster, dawgdr, PapaD, AU338MAG, BayedUp, Whild_Bill, AustinC, jaredhunts, hippi, Canterberry, Big AL 76, 300gr, Jtide, Etyson, mjs14, globe, Geeb, jchurch, Turkeyneck78, SC53, !shiloh!, deerman24, CNC, dtmwtp, Skullworks, wareagul, Holcomb, brett.smith, HappyHunter, oakachoy, NotsoBright, canine933, CarbonClimber1, auman, Troutgreen, jwalker77, jhardy, UARandy3, m97, PaytonWP, laidback, phinfan, Zzzfog, Catbird, Birdman83, AU7MM08, twaldrop4, BCLC, dirtwrk, Safetyman, RCHRR, Remington270, slanddeerhunter, Turkey, need2hunt, Ron A., OutdoorsAL, bamaeyedoc, fingers, RockFarmer, Turkeyhunter12, FreeStateHunter, coachg34, Whitetaillane, Lonster, Forrestgump1, PourIron12, Ryano, PossumPecker, square, BrentsFX4, 16 invisible), 1,244 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: truedouble] #270220
01/24/12 05:52 PM
01/24/12 05:52 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted By: truedouble
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: bill
Its always something. Most years hunters are complaining that the rut is in Feb. And they don't see any bucks.

This year I've heard a lot of hunters talk about an early rut and I've seen a truck load of good bucks killed but now we are complaining that we can't see 20 does on a greenfield like the good ol days.

I don't know much about qdm or putting doe limits but I imagine the answer lies some where in the middle. Wouldn't matter if we got it perfect we would still find something to complain about. It's what we do.

I'll agree with ya on this one.^^^^

Hit the nail on the head. First point is I have also heard from numerous people that hunt anywhere from Union Town, to Selma to Montgomery that the bucks started chasing around the first week in January, which is a couple of weeks early.

None of the places you named is anywhere close to what I call LA just sayn..........

Last edited by bigt; 01/24/12 05:52 PM.

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: truedouble] #270229
01/24/12 05:56 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Its always something. Most years hunters are complaining that the rut is in Feb. And they don't see any bucks.

This year I've heard a lot of hunters talk about an early rut and I've seen a truck load of good bucks killed but now we are complaining that we can't see 20 does on a greenfield like the good ol days.

I don't know much about qdm or putting doe limits but I imagine the answer lies some where in the middle. Wouldn't matter if we got it perfect we would still find something to complain about. It's what we do.

For what it's worth I think there is a general opinion that in most of LA the bucks don't get cranked up until the very end of the month and way into Feb. b/c the land is either not managed properly (buck to doe ratio is way off) or there is a lot of pressure so most of the rutting activity is done at night.

It ain't worth much because the land I hunt on is and has been managed by a wildlife biologist hired by our landowner for over ten years with very little hunting pressure and the rut has always and looks like always will be the last week of Jan and on into Feb.

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: FurFlyin] #270231
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
So, "lower Alabama" wouldn't be anywhere near Montgomery, Selma or Uniontown?

What's "lower" ... Baldwin County?

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: Clem] #270241
01/24/12 06:01 PM
01/24/12 06:01 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted By: Clem
So, "lower Alabama" wouldn't be anywhere near Montgomery, Selma or Uniontown?

What's "lower" ... Baldwin County?

Well that is definitely lower Alabama but I would add Mobile too at least! But seriously no Montgomery is not lower Alabama.It is lower than you are but its over three hours away by interstate from my home in lower Alabama. wink

Last edited by bigt; 01/24/12 06:07 PM.

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: FurFlyin] #270278
01/24/12 06:55 PM
01/24/12 06:55 PM
McCalla, AL
johnnyreb Offline
10 point
johnnyreb  Offline
10 point
McCalla, AL
Well, I will say that I never have shot more than one or two does in a season. And neither have the folks in our club. And probably not the folks around us. As a matter of fact, i don't know anybody that waylays does the way some of ya'll are making it sound. Maybe I just run in the wrong circles.

If anything, I think my property has too many does. We always get four to five does on camera for every buck we get. This year I definitely haven't seen the number of does that I've seen in the past, but I saw more once I got out of the shooting houses and started trying to figure out where they were. Turns out they were using natural browse this year and not our food plots. After we changed strategies we saw more does. And as far as the rut, after ten years hunting my place in Dallas county, I've seen the rut occur anywhere from the week after Christmas into early February. If it were up to me I'd move season back a month, but if they don't, I won't be crushed. I still kill a deer or two every year and enjoy getting out there. I see far more than I shoot.

If ya'll want to go back to having three or four doe days a year thats fine by me. Won't affect the way i hunt in the least since I don't usually shoot many anyway. I am amazed though how folks seem to want to make a one size fits all rule based on "what I'm seeing on my place this year." AND wanting the state to regulate it even though the general consensus is that we all want less government and more control over our own lives.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

George Orwell
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: bill] #270287
01/24/12 06:59 PM
01/24/12 06:59 PM
Marshall County
FurFlyin Offline OP
Freak of Nature
FurFlyin  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Marshall County

I don't expect to ever see 20 in a green field again. Don't need to see 20. I'd be happy if my son could see a deer or three at least 50% of the time. I agree that the answer is in the middle, but we are nowhere near there. Good bucks are killed every year. As each year goes by it seems that the average hunter becomes a better steward of wildlife by providing better food and better habitat. That produces better bucks. A deer herd that is below the carrying capacity should remain relatively healthy and produce large racked bucks. If the area you have can provide high quality browse and habitat to easily carry 50 deer per square mile, that area will produce no larger deer than if it had 25 deer per square mile.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: FurFlyin] #270342
01/24/12 07:53 PM
01/24/12 07:53 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
For all the nay-sayers.......

Just a simple test!

Go to a local, well-established deer processor that has been in existence for a minimum of 6-8 yrs.
Ask him a few questions:

1) How are your overall numbers compared to years past?
2) What is the estimated buck:doe ratio of the deer brought in?
3) What has been the consensus opinion on the deer herd by the hunters who visit?
And for fun!!!
4) What percentage of the deer brought in have corn in them??

Now, I know full well that 'everybody' doesn't have their deer processed.
BUT, it does provide a good comparison and 'real-world' opinions!!!

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: bigt] #270399
01/24/12 08:54 PM
01/24/12 08:54 PM
Montgomery
WmHunter Offline
14 point
WmHunter  Offline
14 point
Montgomery
Originally Posted By: bigt

Hit the nail on the head. First point is I have also heard from numerous people that hunt anywhere from Union Town, to Selma to Montgomery that the bucks started chasing around the first week in January, which is a couple of weeks early.

None of the places you named is anywhere close to what I call LA just sayn..........

Anybody who says the rut begins ANYWHERE in Montgomery County
in early January is full of chit. Ours hasn't even started yet and it is Jan. 24. No seeking, no monitoring, no chasing no nothing. Zip. Zero, Nada. Rarely see a chase and never before the last 3 or 4 days of January. It has always been like that in our area. AND DESPITE MASSIVE DOE KILLING AND
QDM THE TIMING AND INTENSITY HAS NOT CHANGED ONE IOTA.

Never even heard anyone claim an early January rut for
Montgomery County.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: WmHunter] #270410
01/24/12 09:04 PM
01/24/12 09:04 PM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
Really? Because I've been hunting a 600 acre bow only club out on 13 bridges rd and they have been wide open since first week of January and several monsters have been killed chasing.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: FurFlyin] #270426
01/24/12 09:16 PM
01/24/12 09:16 PM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
I think a matter of mere miles can make a big difference.

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: WmHunter] #270431
01/24/12 09:22 PM
01/24/12 09:22 PM
Home
S
Shuter II Offline
10 point
Shuter II  Offline
10 point
S
Home
Originally Posted By: WmHunter

in early January is full of chit. Ours hasn't even started yet and it is Jan. 24. No seeking, no monitoring, no chasing no nothing. Zip. Zero, Nada. Rarely see a chase and never before the last 3 or 4 days of January. It has always been like that in our area. AND DESPITE MASSIVE DOE KILLING AND

Montgomery County.

Really? I've seen bucks chasing does since between Christmas & New Years Day. In fact, they're starting to wind down a little. I did see a terrible fight yesterday between two vicious spikes.

My son killed a nice 8 on New Years day walking across a green field and grunting with each step. Neck swollen, leg glands stinking......... Is that signs of rut? LOL

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: burbank] #270449
01/24/12 09:52 PM
01/24/12 09:52 PM
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted By: burbank
I think a matter of mere miles can make a big difference.

It absolutely does but he emphasized ANYWHERE. I Also hunted a 1000 acres out on trotman rd last season and they were done by 3rd week in Jan. These were intensely managed properties and probably as good as hunting gets in Alabama.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: FurFlyin] #270492
01/24/12 10:26 PM
01/24/12 10:26 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Seems like the property in Montgomery Co I hunt is slowing down but there has been chasing for the last 2 weeks anyway. Saw 4 different bucks chasing 3 different doe groups in one hour this pm. Necks swollen, grunting, chasing each doe one after another, scrapes and rubs actively being worked, etc - seems like a "rut" to me grin

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: Shuter II] #270550
01/24/12 11:35 PM
01/24/12 11:35 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: Shuter II
Originally Posted By: WmHunter

Montgomery County.

Really? I've seen bucks chasing does since between Christmas & New Years Day. In fact, they're starting to wind down a little. I did see a terrible fight yesterday between two vicious spikes.

My son killed a nice 8 on New Years day walking across a green field and grunting with each step. Neck swollen, leg glands stinking......... Is that signs of rut? LOL

Shuter, no way that is the signs of the rut, you have to see them chasing, then mounting, then kicking back smoking a cig for it to be "THE RUT". Or, that's the way it seems by some of the posts. Oh yeah, when good bucks are being shot in food plots in Counties south of Montgomery down to the FL line starting in early January, those good bucks are just hungry cause no signs of "THE RUT" (see definition above)have been seen and its not February yet, when they reeeaaaaallllyy rut.

Last edited by Fun4all; 01/24/12 11:37 PM.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: FurFlyin] #270678
01/25/12 08:41 AM
01/25/12 08:41 AM
Moss Creek
Gotcha1 Offline
Bright Eyes
Gotcha1  Offline
Bright Eyes
Moss Creek
My thoughts on when the rut is on--When I start seeing doe tracks bigtime in the scrapes. Happening now at our place.

Matt Brock wears knock-off Crocs.
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: Gotcha1] #270742
01/25/12 10:16 AM
01/25/12 10:16 AM
Montgomery
WmHunter Offline
14 point
WmHunter  Offline
14 point
Montgomery
Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
My thoughts on when the rut is on--When I start seeing doe tracks bigtime in the scrapes. Happening now at our place.

and seeking, monitoring, chasing, bucks cruising
etc.

Looks like a couple folks are hunting the
central part of the county betwen Woodly, Mt.
Zion where I have heard that rut is more mid
January. This is the first I have evey heard
anyone make a claim of early January, so I am
very skeptical.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: WmHunter] #270760
01/25/12 10:40 AM
01/25/12 10:40 AM
Glendale, FL
W
WhiteCityHunter Offline
6 point
WhiteCityHunter  Offline
6 point
W
Glendale, FL
Ive been hunting the same 220 acres in Autauga County for ten years. Ive observed a noticeable decline in numbers of deer over that period of time. I realize that the population goes through natural cycles, but the decline I have seen is drastic. This year I hunted 14 days and saw a total of 3 deer, one doe, one yearling, and one buck. This is BY FAR the lowest number of deer I have seen in a season. This is also the first season since I began hunting this property that I have not fired a single shot. Maybe it's coyotes, maybe its the liberalized doe season, I don't know. I DO KNOW that there are far fewer deer on this property and in the area around it than there has ever been. Some folks can regulate themselves and control their trigger finger, but enough can't that it is having a detrimental impact on the herd. It is very frustrating to spend hours and hours in the woods and see very few deer and even more when you are afraid to kill one because you don't want to make the situation even worse.
I would like to see either a shortened season or a decrease in the number of doe days. I realize that not all areas of the state are experiencing the same problems I am, but is it too much to ask that state biologists do deer herd estimations and change the seasons accordingly? Practically every other state in the SE U.S. has made changes to their seasons in response to changes in the herd.

Last edited by WhiteCityHunter; 01/25/12 10:43 AM.
Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: FurFlyin] #270795
01/25/12 11:41 AM
01/25/12 11:41 AM
Shelby County
BibbCounty Offline
6 point
BibbCounty  Offline
6 point
Shelby County
I think you just have to go by what you see on your property , I hunt 3300 acres on the marengo/Clarke county line , we have a club rule that each member can kill 4 does (18 x 4 = 72) but we never do , some people dont care to shoot any. I think this year we have killed 24 doe and 9 bucks so far, and if history holds true we will kill about 4 or 5 more bucks this last week and maybe a doe or two. Seems like some of you are contradicting your selfs though, you dont want people to shoot young bucks , but you dont want people to shoot does either , everybody is not in it for a trophy , me and my family eat at least 5 deer a year easy, I cant count on seeing a couple of 4.5 year old bucks every January!

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: FurFlyin] #270831
01/25/12 12:29 PM
01/25/12 12:29 PM
Hoover
40Bucks Offline
14 point
40Bucks  Offline
14 point
Hoover
Let me play devil's advocate.
Suppose the following limiting factors which could affect deer sightings, either does or bucks, are in effect statewide:
1) warmer average temperatures, which may:
a) keep deer bedded down during daylight hours while its warmer
b) boost an earlier spring green up meaning deer may travel
shorter distances in search of food during typically cooler
months
c) initiate more frequent weather fronts which suppress deer
movement I believe this to be true

2) bumper acorn crops providing more food than in average years
away from greenfields

3) higher than normal rainfall amounts which could limit or
alter deer travel patterns where flooding can occur This is true on our place

4) increased human pressure due to more hunters in the woods in
expectation of rutting behavior

IF these are indeed in effect collectively, then I have to consider that fewer deer sightings would be atypical. I would have to think that with no way to know the actual number of deer in the state, there is a reasonable explanation for fewer sightings (the limiting factors suggested above) and that there is the possibility that numbers have not been drastically reduced due to an overly aggressive doe harvest.
My point is, even though individuals have personally witnessed fewer deer, less deer sign, heard tales of hunters and or clubs taking large numbers (however you define ‘large numbers’) of does for several consecutive years, maybe the deer are there but they’re not appearing during shooting light for myriad reasons and the herd is not in a downward population trend as it might first appear.
I’m not arguing that the things people have mentioned on here are not valid; I’m only suggesting that it may be more complex than merely 'shooting too many does'.
I know this logic is riddled with holes, I’m just sayin… my two cents.

Re: Your personal observations on the effect of liberal doe season (POLL) [Re: 40Bucks] #270932
01/25/12 02:28 PM
01/25/12 02:28 PM
Boxes Cove
2Dogs Offline
Freak of Nature
2Dogs  Offline
Freak of Nature
Boxes Cove
^^^ I believe some if not all your points are true. I agree 100%, this years reduced doe sightings are due to much more than over harvest.

"Why do you ask"?

Always vote the slowest path to socialism.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.