</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
WTB - Browning Maxus
by Okatuppa. 04/26/24 11:25 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by cgardner. 04/26/24 07:15 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
93 registered members (clayk, donia, Garndawg, Mike32, gman, BCLC, Red Fox, Turkeyneck78, Andalusia, bamaeyedoc, mcninja, YellaLineHunter, Camden86, CatHeadBiscuit, XVIII, Bronco 74, TexasHuntress, Mdees, Todd1700, jdfarm23, hoggin, Skullworks, BamaBoHunter, AU coonhunter, Chancetribe, Gobbler1, AustinC, gatorbait154, Dixiepatriot, Bustinbeards, scrape, 3blades, Hunting15, klay, georgiaboy1970, HappyHunter, jake5050, Mansfield, BD, Ron A., BPI, AU7MM08, Floorman1, 4Him146, Woody1, Mbrock, GHTiger10, SouthBamaSlayer, Nightwatchman, Pwyse, JLMiller, jawbone, BuckRidge17, roll_tide_hunts, Stacey, bug54, odocoileus, Paint Rock 00, centralala, scrubbuck, Flatwoods, chevydude2015, Dean, Ten37, Luxfisher, Antelope08, Hammertime7v2, Jbf, sw1002, RareBreed, BBD23, Chiller, Bread, CNC, auman, MarksOutdoors, canichols424, top cat, coldtrail, m97, 13 invisible), 802 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
This kinda upsets me... #26714
11/05/08 07:35 PM
11/05/08 07:35 PM
Bama
B
bigaggie77 Offline OP
bigaggie77  Offline OP
B
Bama
Can't decide if I'm for or against this.

http://www.aonmag.com/article.php?id=1576&cid=158

Bow Tech Commander 29/70
Rage 2 Blade

Life Member NAHC
keep on keeping on...
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26715
11/06/08 06:59 AM
11/06/08 06:59 AM
Tuscaloosa Al
brett.smith Offline
10 point
brett.smith  Offline
10 point
Tuscaloosa Al
Why? I think its a win/win for both. thumbsup

Re: This kinda upsets me... #26716
11/06/08 07:16 AM
11/06/08 07:16 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
BHA made one of its first membership gains when they took control of the Childersberg Powder Plant hunts in the late 60's. One had to be a member of BHA to hunt there. A lot of hunters joined just to be able to hunt on the Powder plant.

I don't have a real prob with BhA running the Oak Mtn hunts but I don't feel that one should HAVE to be a member to hunt a state owned piece of land like Oak Mtn state Park. twocents

troy

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26717
11/06/08 07:39 AM
11/06/08 07:39 AM
Central Alabama
W
WIDGEON Offline
10 point
WIDGEON  Offline
10 point
W
Central Alabama
Quote:
Originally posted by BhamFred:
BHA made one of its first membership gains when they took control of the Childersberg Powder Plant hunts in the late 60's. One had to be a member of BHA to hunt there. A lot of hunters joined just to be able to hunt on the Powder plant.

I don't have a real prob with BhA running the Oak Mtn hunts but I don't feel that one should HAVE to be a member to hunt a state owned piece of land like Oak Mtn state Park. twocents

troy
It does not happen often but I do agree with you Troy

Re: This kinda upsets me... #26718
11/06/08 08:49 AM
11/06/08 08:49 AM
Bama
B
bigaggie77 Offline OP
bigaggie77  Offline OP
B
Bama
Quote:
Originally posted by BhamFred:

troy
Well put.

Bow Tech Commander 29/70
Rage 2 Blade

Life Member NAHC
keep on keeping on...
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26719
11/06/08 09:00 AM
11/06/08 09:00 AM
Tuscaloosa
rackhunter' Offline
8 point
rackhunter'  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa
Im all for it thumbsup

Its going to put real bowhunters in the woods instead of some wal-mart hunter, and the cost of joining BHA is alot less than what they charged to hunt it the last few years and it goes to a good cause US BOWHUNTERS

The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind

I love animals...they're delicious
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26720
11/06/08 09:49 AM
11/06/08 09:49 AM
Walker county
Driveby Offline
Doing the best I can.
Driveby  Offline
Doing the best I can.
Walker county
Quote:
Originally posted by rackhunter03:
Its going to put real bowhunters in the woods instead of some wal-mart hunter
Huh???? The "Wal-Mart" hunter can pay his fees and join the BHA just like anybody else. Heck, I've been an NWTF member for a few years and i don't even turkey hunt. :rolleyes:

The true mark of a man is not how he conducts himself during times of prosperity, but how he conducts himself during times of adversity.
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26721
11/06/08 09:59 AM
11/06/08 09:59 AM
Madison, AL
W
wmd Offline
10 point
wmd  Offline
10 point
W
Madison, AL
Actually don't you have to be a member in order to apply to hunt? That is what I have a problem with.

"Any way you look at it, most of the problems facing baboons can be expressed in two words: other baboons" -
D.L. Cheney and R.M. Seyfarth
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26722
11/06/08 09:55 PM
11/06/08 09:55 PM
By the River
A
antlerhunter Offline
8 point
antlerhunter  Offline
8 point
A
By the River
If there is a real problem, let the state dept of fish and wildlife go in there and take care of the problem in one or two weekends by hiring professionals to do this. If the herd needs to be drastically cut, bow hunters of any degree of expertise will not be effective in reducing the population to healthy levels. It seems to me that BHA has just stepped in to get membership numbers up. I know nothing about BHA, but just because I'm not a member, I don't think I should be considered a walmart hunter. I have had no problems in harvesting deer in the past, and with no help of a card that I carry to make me a more efficient hunter based on the article about BHA. They will screen all of the members and pick their buddies, it is as simple as money and politics, and we the citizens of the state of Alabama have let this org. come in and walk all over us hunters that pay for our licenses every year.
Give the conservation dept bullets, rifles and spotlights and let them take care of the problem. That is the only way to remove the numbers of deer they needing to.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... (Seuss)
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26723
11/07/08 10:43 AM
11/07/08 10:43 AM
Opelika
H
HeavyStepper Offline
4 point
HeavyStepper  Offline
4 point
H
Opelika
Quote:
They will screen all of the members and pick their buddies, it is as simple as money and politics, and we the citizens of the state of Alabama have let this org. come in and walk all over us hunters that pay for our licenses every year.
Give the conservation dept bullets, rifles and spotlights and let them take care of the problem. That is the only way to remove the numbers of deer they needing to.
I think this is a little harsh of an attitude towards BHA. I don't like the requiring anyone to join a private organization to hunt state property and would support them recommending people join BHA instead. I am a member of BHA by the way. I would not support hiring the conservation department to have professionals do what private citizens would pay to do.

Re: This kinda upsets me... #26724
11/07/08 11:25 AM
11/07/08 11:25 AM
Tuscaloosa
rackhunter' Offline
8 point
rackhunter'  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa
Quote:
Originally posted by antlerhunter:
If there is a real problem, let the state dept of fish and wildlife go in there and take care of the problem in one or two weekends by hiring professionals to do this. If the herd needs to be drastically cut, bow hunters of any degree of expertise will not be effective in reducing the population to healthy levels. It seems to me that BHA has just stepped in to get membership numbers up. I know nothing about BHA, but just because I'm not a member, I don't think I should be considered a walmart hunter. I have had no problems in harvesting deer in the past, and with no help of a card that I carry to make me a more efficient hunter based on the article about BHA. They will screen all of the members and pick their buddies, it is as simple as money and politics, and we the citizens of the state of Alabama have let this org. come in and walk all over us hunters that pay for our licenses every year.
So you would rather see someone go in there and spotlight deer with high powered rifles than someone who really enjoys to be in the woods and do it the right way? boy you sound like a real hunter to me. We as hunters should be happy that someone gets to hunt a piece of land no matter what type of land it is than hiring "professionals" :rolleyes: to go in there and poach them.

Re: This kinda upsets me... #26725
11/07/08 12:49 PM
11/07/08 12:49 PM
Madison, AL
W
wmd Offline
10 point
wmd  Offline
10 point
W
Madison, AL
Quote:
Originally posted by rackhunter03:
Quote:
Originally posted by antlerhunter:
[b] If there is a real problem, let the state dept of fish and wildlife go in there and take care of the problem in one or two weekends by hiring professionals to do this. If the herd needs to be drastically cut, bow hunters of any degree of expertise will not be effective in reducing the population to healthy levels. It seems to me that BHA has just stepped in to get membership numbers up. I know nothing about BHA, but just because I'm not a member, I don't think I should be considered a walmart hunter. I have had no problems in harvesting deer in the past, and with no help of a card that I carry to make me a more efficient hunter based on the article about BHA. They will screen all of the members and pick their buddies, it is as simple as money and politics, and we the citizens of the state of Alabama have let this org. come in and walk all over us hunters that pay for our licenses every year.
So you would rather see someone go in there and spotlight deer with high powered rifles than someone who really enjoys to be in the woods and do it the right way? boy you sound like a real hunter to me. We as hunters should be happy that someone gets to hunt a piece of land no matter what type of land it is than hiring "professionals" :rolleyes: to go in there and poach them. [/b]
I think Antlerhunter has a point - and some of you are missing it. The reason for the hunt is not to open up a pristine area to Alabama bowhunters. The point is to reduce the population of the deer in the park to a level that can be sustained by the resources in the park. And anybody that says bowhunters can have a noticeable impact on an overpopulated herd probably know they are lying to you and to themselves.

If it really is about population reduction, hunters should only be able to kill does since that will have the greatest impact on the current and future population. Further this will prevent a hunter from holding out for a buck.

"Any way you look at it, most of the problems facing baboons can be expressed in two words: other baboons" -
D.L. Cheney and R.M. Seyfarth
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26726
11/07/08 01:20 PM
11/07/08 01:20 PM
McCalla, Alabama
MarkBAMA Offline
12 point
MarkBAMA  Offline
12 point
McCalla, Alabama
“We only want the safest, most effective and efficient bowhunters out there,” Barry said. “We’ll be able to provide a service, and we’re not charging for it.”

Uhhhh, yes you are. You are not charging the state but you are certainly getting your bread buttered by forcing people to join your organization which means your pockets are growing.

ROLL TIDE !!!

Enough Said....
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26727
11/07/08 01:47 PM
11/07/08 01:47 PM
Central Alabama
W
WIDGEON Offline
10 point
WIDGEON  Offline
10 point
W
Central Alabama
Before BHA took over people applied for the hunt the mony was used by the state..Now that BHA has it they recieve the money and the state does not get an of it..I think it wasa poor decsion by the state to turn it over..

Re: This kinda upsets me... #26728
11/07/08 05:47 PM
11/07/08 05:47 PM
Here and There
S
SnapperSlapper Offline
6 point
SnapperSlapper  Offline
6 point
S
Here and There
I would rather pull my fingernails out one at a time with a pair of pliers than join the BHA. Why? Because of this current deal with the Oak Mountain hunt. The BHA is using a public hunt on public land, land that is owned by each and every one of us, to increase their membership and finances. And they'll turn around and use this increased power to further their agenda. Whether I agree with that agenda or not is irrelevant, it is the principle that is wrong.

What would be the response on here if the state struck up a deal with the state Democratic party to run WMA hunts, and required you to join the Democratic party if you wanted to hunt on a WMA? What would be the response on here to that? I doubt it would be favorable, though it is the exact same principle. The idea that a private organization is using public lands to further their agenda is not right.

It was a poor decision by the state.

Re: This kinda upsets me... #26729
11/07/08 10:12 PM
11/07/08 10:12 PM
Central Alabama
Y
Yelp softly Offline
10 point
Yelp softly  Offline
10 point
Y
Central Alabama
I don't understand the fuss. It's simple economics really. There are many ways this could be structured really, here are a few.

1) Pay for sharpshooters to handle the problem. This would be very costly. A terrible use of state dollars.

2) Let the state handle the hunts. Sure they take in some money, but they spend a lot of money too. I understand that many state employees were on hand for the past hunts. Financial outcome - dead even

3) Let a group like BHA handle the hunt. It costs the state nothing and they don't have the headaches associated with it. Financial outcome - dead even with less headaches.

To me it's a win-win situation but somehow all the conspiracy theorists are going to find a way to make something negative out of it.

"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad, when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

"YOU ATE SAND!" - Raising Arizona
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26730
11/07/08 10:46 PM
11/07/08 10:46 PM
Tuscaloosa
rackhunter' Offline
8 point
rackhunter'  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa
Quote:
Originally posted by Yelp softly:
I don't understand the fuss. It's simple economics really. There are many ways this could be structured really, here are a few.

1) Pay for sharpshooters to handle the problem. This would be very costly. A terrible use of state dollars.

2) Let the state handle the hunts. Sure they take in some money, but they spend a lot of money too. I understand that many state employees were on hand for the past hunts. Financial outcome - dead even

3) Let a group like BHA handle the hunt. It costs the state nothing and they don't have the headaches associated with it. Financial outcome - dead even with less headaches.

To me it's a win-win situation but somehow all the conspiracy theorists are going to find a way to make something negative out of it.
goodpost

Re: This kinda upsets me... #26731
11/07/08 11:15 PM
11/07/08 11:15 PM
By the River
A
antlerhunter Offline
8 point
antlerhunter  Offline
8 point
A
By the River
rackhunter03, yes I am a serious hunter, spend 4-6 days a week in the woods from Oct 15 till Jan 31. I douby there are many that spend the time I do year round.
WMD, yes that is correct. If it is a population control issue, as the state says it is, then they need to get it under control. Archery is no way to lower herd numbers to the extent that it is needed. If you had a flea infestation in you're house, you wouldn't go and pick them off one by one with tweezers, you would take a much more effective approach to rid the problem.
DCNR employees, state troopers ect could do the job instead of having to hire sharp shooters. put our state resources to work on this and get it under control, period.

I know it sets wrong with a bunch of hunters who want the opportunity to hunt the area, but fact is fact. If bow hunters could lower the numbers effectively, then I say let us hunt it, but we can't. Even the best archers (what they are looking for) would only be minimally effective.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... (Seuss)
Re: This kinda upsets me... #26732
11/07/08 11:58 PM
11/07/08 11:58 PM
Tuscaloosa
rackhunter' Offline
8 point
rackhunter'  Offline
8 point
Tuscaloosa
I understand where your coming from antlerhunter and I know your not a walmart hunter if you spend that much time in the woods laugh and us hunters should all be on the same side but if I had to choose between the state popping deer or someone up a tree enjoying a hunt, I would have to go with the hunter, and as far as the population I think this year more deer will be taken since BHA is involved.

Re: This kinda upsets me... #26733
11/08/08 04:46 AM
11/08/08 04:46 AM
blount county alabama
I
imadeerhntr Offline
14 point
imadeerhntr  Offline
14 point
I
blount county alabama
Why not allow people to trap them and relocate to another area of the state where the herd is lower. This was done at guntersville a few years ago.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.