</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB: 20ga remchoke
by AU7MM08. 05/07/24 05:01 PM
G Force AR style 12ga
by MikeP. 05/07/24 02:29 PM
Winchester sx4 20 ga $900
by CrappieMan. 05/07/24 02:22 PM
WTB 3” Remington 870 20 gauge
by JUGHEAD. 05/07/24 10:55 AM
Husqvarna 460 Rancher
by Justice. 05/07/24 10:25 AM
Serious Deer Talk
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Pwyse. 05/07/24 08:11 PM
Kansas Bowhunt timing
by ColeT. 05/07/24 02:57 PM
Springtime and refreshin' your Clorox stump
by marshmud991. 05/06/24 05:08 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Snuffy. 05/06/24 03:28 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by Overland. 05/06/24 02:53 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Who's Online Now
161 registered members (Canterberry, timberwolfe, todd w, gobbler, clayk, coldtrail, Turkeyneck78, donia, hillmp, Wildboar14, gwstang, rwh1, Highlander, Treelimb, bowkl, dtmwtp, fireman176, OutdoorsAL, Luvbowhuntn, Tree Hanger, Bowhunter2011, MarksOutdoors, sportrep, Bustinbeards, CNC, JD_Bowhunter1976, SEWoodsWhitetail, doublefistful, BearBranch, MountainTopHunter, GoldenEagle, CarbonClimber1, BigEd, cartervj, YellaLineHunter, outdoorguy88, slanddeerhunter, Turkey Petter, jawbone, NorthFork, Buck2020, lectrode, Butchman205, Narrow Gap, bamaeyedoc, 3bailey3, AU338MAG, scrubbuck, Troutgreen, Okatuppa, cullbuck, canichols424, Showout, TravisBatey, eclipse829, jwalker77, Whild_Bill, quailman, Spec, Thread Killer, nomercy, RidgeRanger, Mansfield, Chaser1, Floorman1, twaldrop4, HURRICANE, SouthBamaSlayer, metalmuncher, mcninja, trailertrash, AUjerbear, capehorn24, TexasHuntress, GRINNING, TDog93, Grizztrick2, Engine5, Raspy, MC21, Claims Rep., BCLC, 7PTSPREAD, Downwind, Richard Cranium, Dan4good, 4Tigers, imadeerhntr, Buck-bomb, FreeStateHunter, sj22, trlrdrdave, deerhunter_1, Joe4majors, slippinlipjr, JB357, AWT6, KnightRyder, Young20, Geeb, JRigs10, desertdog, auburn17, fur_n_feathers, Crawfish, hyco, rhino21, Grumman, T72, lckrn, burbank, mashburn, biglmbass, BullMountain, Forrestgump1, Justice, fourfive45, NonTypical, leroycnbucks, gatorbait154, DGAMBLER, MTeague, Chaser357, Auburn1716, Fullthrottle, brianr, HollerHunter, riflenut, benchmade47, specialk, Chiller, Standbanger, 163dm, m97, BobK, Wapiti55, Herdbull, Droptine-13, Mbrock, handihunter, icducks, BAR1225, M48scout, Mack1, jake5050, ColeT, Tupi, Gut Pile 32, jhardy, 12 invisible), 1,037 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: BhamFred] #2598456
10/04/18 12:31 PM
10/04/18 12:31 PM
Hamilton/Auburn
Shotts Offline
8 point
Shotts  Offline
8 point
Hamilton/Auburn
Originally Posted by BhamFred
Originally Posted by NightHunter
1. We aren’t against high fences or breeders despite what most think

if by "we" you mean the Al Dept Conservation located in Montgomery Al then this is a damn misstatement. If you mean you and one of yer friends I may buy it.....

This directly from a former insider!

Life is difficult
Science prevails over bulldoodoo and superstition every time
Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Slingshot] #2598460
10/04/18 12:34 PM
10/04/18 12:34 PM
Springville, al
StoneMan Offline
6 point
StoneMan  Offline
6 point
Springville, al
My muck boots ain't near by and this sh!t is getting deep. One of y'all owe me a new pair of socks.

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: StoneMan] #2598473
10/04/18 12:50 PM
10/04/18 12:50 PM
AL
J
jhardy Online content
6 point
jhardy  Online Content
6 point
J
AL
Originally Posted by StoneMan
My muck boots ain't near by and this sh!t is getting deep. One of y'all owe me a new pair of socks.

Just normal every day conversation on Aldeer. I just came over here to see what was going on besides the political forum called the general form. rofl

Really easy to get people riled up around here. In reality, I support Trey in specific (not every yahoo who puts up a fence though). I also would expect him to completely defend his business. I would if I were him. I also expect Jeremy and Matt to defend their business. It's a very tough situation that no one asked for. It is a moving target as more studies are being completed.

In deference to Matt, I think if someone asked his personal opinion of what he would do, it is reasonable to think he would give a personal opinion. Even if you or I disagree with him, he is a biologist in the field of study and his opinion should carry more weight than mine. I also asked an opinion of a biologist after the event so as to not put him in a precarious situation of representing what his boss told him to say. He provided that answer. I respect him even if we disagree.

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Slingshot] #2598479
10/04/18 01:00 PM
10/04/18 01:00 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Online content
Fancy
Mbrock  Online Content
Fancy
Right behind you
I’m kinda tied up but I do want to verify something I said, because apparently it’s been manipulated or misinterpreted. I have made a statement several times, including publicly, that I will not consume any deer I kill IF CWD is detected within a certain vicinity of where I hunt, unless I have it tested prior to consumption. There is still too much that is not known about transmission to risk that for my family and friends. I did not say I would stop eating deer entirely. I’m not pushing that from a professional or personal view point. I simply provide the facts we have, and share the recommendations the professional health experts tend to agree on. Potentially exposing myself or my children to that risk is not one I’m willing to take, and I am certainly within my rights to share that as an employee of the state. I don’t care for my words being taken out of context, but that’s the world we live in. I wasn’t going to respond to this thread at all, but since I keep being dragged into it I thought I’d clear that up.

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Mbrock] #2598483
10/04/18 01:03 PM
10/04/18 01:03 PM
AL
J
jhardy Online content
6 point
jhardy  Online Content
6 point
J
AL
Originally Posted by Mbrock
I’m kinda tied up but I do want to verify something I said, because apparently it’s been manipulated or misinterpreted. I have made a statement several times, including publicly, that I will not consume any deer I kill IF CWD is detected within a certain vicinity of where I hunt, unless I have it tested prior to consumption. There is still too much that is not known about transmission to risk that for my family and friends. I did not say I would stop eating deer entirely. I’m not pushing that from a professional or personal view point. I simply provide the facts we have, and share the recommendations the professional health experts tend to agree on. Potentially exposing myself or my children to that risk is not one I’m willing to take, and I am certainly within my rights to share that as an employee of the state. I don’t care for my words being taken out of context, but that’s the world we live in. I wasn’t going to respond to this thread at all, but since I keep being dragged into it I thought I’d clear that up.

Thanks Judge Kavanaugh, but we have another that said you were drinking when you said that and would not remember the incident. He will be along shortly to confirm you are in fact lying and that you should be eliminated from ever talking again. loco

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: jhardy] #2598489
10/04/18 01:21 PM
10/04/18 01:21 PM
Hamilton/Auburn
Shotts Offline
8 point
Shotts  Offline
8 point
Hamilton/Auburn
Originally Posted by jhardy

Thanks Judge Kavanaugh, but we have another that said you were drinking when you said that and would not remember the incident. He will be along shortly to confirm you are in fact lying and that you should be eliminated from ever talking again. loco

Alright Jhardy Feinstein if you are referring to me I never said he was drinking or that he wouldn’t remember the incident. As for what was said in Hamilton, Alabama at Backside BBQ at the CWD discussion there were no such disclaimers made with the statement. You said that you and your sons would no longer hunt deer if CWD was found here. I know most of the people in the room when you made that statement as a matter of fact 3 of them have already discussed t with the DCNR.

As for what you just posted on qualifiers I agree with and will follow a similar course of action if it comes here.

As for dragging you into this and not responding I didn’t see a response to the proposed plan and 95/100 captive deering being slaughtered if they are in the zone. Do you wish to respond to that or can we assume the lack of response means it is accurate?

Life is difficult
Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Slingshot] #2598497
10/04/18 01:34 PM
10/04/18 01:34 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Online content
Fancy
Mbrock  Online Content
Fancy
Right behind you
If that’s what I said, without stating the fact I would have them tested, then I misspoke on my current plan of action.

As for my comments being brought to the attention of the DCNR, it has not been addressed with me.

Anyone can read the Response Plan. Illcomment on that when I have more time to do so.

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Mbrock] #2598524
10/04/18 02:15 PM
10/04/18 02:15 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama

exactly how I feel about eating deer from a CWD confirmed zone. Ain't doing it.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Slingshot] #2598583
10/04/18 03:55 PM
10/04/18 03:55 PM
Gurley, Alabama
S
Standbanger Online content
12 point
Standbanger  Online Content
12 point
S
Gurley, Alabama
It's logical in my mind to not eat a deer from a confirmed CWD area. The great unknown or unpublished data is how close is too close. If Cullman County is confirmed as a CWD zone would a deer in Jefferson County be safe.

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Slingshot] #2598597
10/04/18 04:11 PM
10/04/18 04:11 PM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Not everyone can or would have a deer tested from a confirmed area before consuming. Should season be be closed until.all clear??

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: centralala] #2598610
10/04/18 04:25 PM
10/04/18 04:25 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
Originally Posted by centralala
Not everyone can or would have a deer tested from a confirmed area before consuming. Should season be be closed until.all clear??

it will never be clear.....

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: BhamFred] #2598644
10/04/18 05:06 PM
10/04/18 05:06 PM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Originally Posted by BhamFred
Originally Posted by centralala

it will never be clear.....

This^^^

Everyone should be able to get them tested. I believe all positive states have public drop off areas for testing. They may not want to take time to do it.

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Shotts] #2598651
10/04/18 05:12 PM
10/04/18 05:12 PM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Originally Posted by Shotts

Alright Jhardy Feinstein if you are referring to me I never said he was drinking or that he wouldn’t remember the incident. As for what was said in Hamilton, Alabama at Backside BBQ at the CWD discussion there were no such disclaimers made with the statement. You said that you and your sons would no longer hunt deer if CWD was found here. I know most of the people in the room when you made that statement as a matter of fact 3 of them have already discussed t with the DCNR.

As for what you just posted on qualifiers I agree with and will follow a similar course of action if it comes here.

As for dragging you into this and not responding I didn’t see a response to the proposed plan and 95/100 captive deering being slaughtered if they are in the zone. Do you wish to respond to that or can we assume the lack of response means it is accurate?

Not trying to take up for Matt, he has already done that but I talked to a couple that were there that didn’t understand it that way but I won’t hide the fact that I was one of the DCNR contacted that did think that’s how it was stated. So, leaves us at a point of different messages were heard/understood by different folks. All that said, we are using this as a learning experience and will make DAMN sure to make more precise statements.

Last edited by NightHunter; 10/04/18 05:13 PM.
Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: NightHunter] #2598827
10/04/18 08:13 PM
10/04/18 08:13 PM
Hamilton/Auburn
Shotts Offline
8 point
Shotts  Offline
8 point
Hamilton/Auburn

Not trying to take up for Matt, he has already done that but I talked to a couple that were there that didn’t understand it that way but I won’t hide the fact that I was one of the DCNR contacted that did think that’s how it was stated. So, leaves us at a point of different messages were heard/understood by different folks. All that said, we are using this as a learning experience and will make DAMN sure to make more precise statements.

Outstanding on the clarity, on that note can you comment on the understanding of slaughter of 95/100 of captive deer within a containment zone? That has hung out there all day and yet to be refuted or addressed.

What about streaming these hunters night out seems like a lot of people might be reached that way or even a pod cast like the guys on the hunting public?

Last edited by Shotts; 10/04/18 08:57 PM.

Life is difficult
Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Shotts] #2598880
10/04/18 08:43 PM
10/04/18 08:43 PM
NE Alabama
A
Abbhudson Offline
6 point
Abbhudson  Offline
6 point
A
NE Alabama
1. We aren’t against high fences or breeders despite what most think
2. If you will remember only 60 deer will be taken in a 60 day or less timeframe to determine the core zone. (Where we differ from other states, and we believe our plan is superior and practical since we learned from them)
3. Then we determine local densities in an effort to determine sampling needs to reach 95% confidence that we can identify CWD if prevalence is 1%. Once we figure that out we will monitor for sick deer, roadkills and yes deer we sample.

There are other points I could make about things said in the video but they aren’t CWD or science related so I’ll leave it at that.

1. Is an opinion, from both your side and theirs. Yes it is legal in the state as to how well accepted and indorsed by DCNR is debatable. I know Chuck himself has personally told Deer farmers that he doesn’t care if every deer on their place dies as they aren’t his concern. I was standing beside the deer farmver at the BJCC when he made the statement.

2. No comment

3. Is like the other post from Honolulu and Matt Brock a nice caveat regarding wild free ranging deer. If you read the response plan as it pertains to Trey it calls for depopulation of captive deer within the 25 mile radius and testing to establish a 95% confidence of catching 1% prevalence.

Unless I am totally missed remembering my statistics classes this does not mean they will kill 95 out of you 100 deer.

What that means is that if a deer farmer is within the 25 mile radius and has 100 deer 95 will be shot and tested regardless of any of the deer showing signs etc simply because they are captive and within the containment zone. Understand Trey or any other farmers outrage when a state agency without proof is going to come on your farm that you worked to build and slaughter your investment for the “greater good”. Regardless of what the public perception is of deer farmers someone has put in some hard work and sacrafice to build that farm. Draw a parallel how would the cattle farmers respond if the state came in and slaughtered $300,000 worth of your cattle without compensation to look for a sick animal because one 49 miles away was found. The state plan includes a nice statement to this end that the state will not compensate the deer farmer for the animals tested regardless of results. You weigh that out and for an opinion on where the DCNR stands on the side of deer farmers.

If I have misinterpreted or misstated anything please show me where.

Also I haven't read the response plan so what I say is based solely off what I've read so far on this thread and coul be 100% wrong

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Slingshot] #2598985
10/04/18 10:40 PM
10/04/18 10:40 PM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Long day/night. My uncle passed last night so been trying to help dad get things sorted and then get hay out raked/bailed. I’ll try and address other questions tomorrow.

As for the killing in the CMZ, if you’ll go back and read, sampling will only occur if the facility is in the 5 mi. core zone and further testing will determine how to proceed from there.

Alabama CWD SSRP May 2018
be used as the population count. The estimated population will be used to determine the number of samples needed from within the captive facility to have a 95% probability of detecting CWD if prevalence is at least 1% in the population (Appendix 8) or as otherwise recommended by Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study (SCWDS). Sampling will be initiated in the CZ and progress outward to the HRZ.

Last edited by NightHunter; 10/04/18 10:42 PM.
Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Slingshot] #2599002
10/05/18 12:14 AM
10/05/18 12:14 AM
Alabama
Honolua Offline
I'm Honey Lou Lou and I voted for Obama... Twice!!!
Honolua  Offline
Alabama
That is compelling!

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: NightHunter] #2599003
10/05/18 12:20 AM
10/05/18 12:20 AM
Alabama
Honolua Offline
Honolua  Offline
Alabama
None of us are ever going to say all of this isn’t going to change as we move forward. CWD is a very dynamic topic and will continue to be for years.

It is such a complex issue. I am trying to educate myself. I am grateful for your hard work. I know you state guys aint the most popular guys around here right now, But I am really grateful that you stand up here and face the fire and don't mince words an BS anyone. That shows class if you ask me.

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Shotts] #2599013
10/05/18 04:54 AM
10/05/18 04:54 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Originally Posted by Hogwild
I do not support the Rights of Private deer farmers in regards to CWD.

I am not against them, either.

But, I do not know of a single one that successfully depopulated their property before fencing...and very few that have not illegally transported animals.

Wow, I am floored with the double standards of personal rights here. Seems like just the other day you were making a post about how you were rejoicing in having done what was right for your own business yet those same rights should not extend to a farmer.

What does depopulating ones own personal property have to do with the matter prior to fencing the property? If you toe the line of the deer belong to the public then by extension I should get to hunt them on your property as well? There has to be a balance of private property rights versus state resource rights and obviously it meets some friction where those two intersect. From the high fence perspective I think you are suppose to push all the deer out prior however I think this is difficult. From the high fence perspective the goal is superior genetics so why would you want to keep native deer with inferior genetics?

How many deer farmers do you know? And how many of the ones who you know broke the law have you reported? If they are transporting deer illegally they should be prosecuted plain and simple. I think in the early days of deer farmer there was a motive to do this however the genetics in Alabama are as good as anywhere else in the country so this doesn’t make sense. I know some were busted last year for it and they paid a huge price and should.

I think you are mistaken......
I do not own a business and have not made any post as to that nature.

BUT, don't let that fact stop a good argument!!!! smile

Now, as to my stance.....
Do you have ANY practical experience with farming?
Have you ever heard of scrapies in sheep?
Are you familiar with USDA APHIS?

If they want to 'farm'....then they should be aware of the risks with infectious diseases that affect farmers!

So, again, I do not support their right to maintain a herd in conflict with current regulations.
Their private interests do not trump that of general public.

Re: Thought on CWD prevention. [Re: Slingshot] #2599042
10/05/18 06:28 AM
10/05/18 06:28 AM
On the X
T
TickaTicka Offline
12 point
TickaTicka  Offline
12 point
T
On the X
The level of ridiculous thought in this thread is hard to describe.

If you have a scientific argument to make, make it.

Public Land Owner
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.