</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso box blade
by kntree. 04/25/24 11:31 PM
Leupold vx freedom
by twaldrop4. 04/25/24 09:50 PM
WTB/WTTF Browning MK3 DBM 308
by Sendero558. 04/25/24 07:29 PM
1999 Scout 162 with Yamaha 90 2 stroke
by billrv. 04/25/24 07:02 PM
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
19 registered members (Johnal3, lalongbeard, mathews prostaff, Claims Rep., NWFJ, sevenup, BAR1225, johnv, Livintohunt19, Cactus_buck, Narrow Gap, rst87, Dixiepatriot, jhardy, Fish2Hunt, 4Tigers, BCLC, 2 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Farmer Brown] #2540705
07/31/18 12:44 AM
07/31/18 12:44 AM
Chilton County
M
MarksOutdoors Offline
Booner
MarksOutdoors  Offline
Booner
M
Chilton County

Originally Posted by Farmer Brown
Whoever the teachers union is for, I am against.

Same here....and my wife is a teacher.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Farmer Brown] #2540783
07/31/18 08:15 AM
07/31/18 08:15 AM
Marion County, Alabama
V
Vernon Tull Offline OP
10 point
Vernon Tull  Offline OP
10 point
V
Marion County, Alabama
Originally Posted by Farmer Brown
Whoever the teachers union is for, I am against.

Except that Alabama has no teachers' union. The AEA has no legal status as a union, and the Republicans in Montgomery are influenced by the AEA zero percent since 2010.

Also, if Alabama continues to have a supermajority in Montgomery, it's only a matter of time before Republicans with the help of the Koch brothers and other groups take away teacher, law enforcement, and fire fighter retirement. We have ALDEER brothers here who will be substantially hurt by the changes coming to Alabama's public worker retirement in the years to come if we don't have a balance of power and voices in Montgomery.

Last edited by Vernon Tull; 07/31/18 08:16 AM.
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Tmacfire] #2540788
07/31/18 08:21 AM
07/31/18 08:21 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Originally Posted by Tmacfire
She royally screwed my friends with the PACT program but for some reason no one seems to remember that.

Those of us with children in university damned sure remember it. A LOT of us do.

The PACT debacle has been hashed out here before so I won't go into it again. But shrugging your shoulders, saying "Welp, the economy!" and then having the $#@*($*#@ teremity to say you didn't guarantee anything when your promotional literature and site did, thus requiring a $@#*($#*@ lawsuit to get anything, HAS NOT BEEN FORGOTTEN.

I don't know if Ivey is a drunk, a lesbian, likes creamy peanut butter instead crunchy (which is better), kicks puppies, puts sugar in her cornbread (highly doubtful) or prefers ballistic tips instead of lead in her .223 deer ammo. I'll hold my nose and vote for her instead of Maddox. She hasn't screwed up anything so far, or someone hasn't.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540791
07/31/18 08:25 AM
07/31/18 08:25 AM
Alabama
W
whack-n-stack Offline
Booner
whack-n-stack  Offline
Booner
W
Alabama
I'd invest in a concrete company if Walt gets elected. That joker will have running trails and sidewalks all over the state ASAP.

Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540804
07/31/18 08:54 AM
07/31/18 08:54 AM
B'ham
Goatkiller Offline
14 point
Goatkiller  Offline
14 point
B'ham
Based on what I am getting from this post from the beginning....

I'm wondering why y'all voted for Kay Ivey in the first place?

It appears to me most here are saying they would never vote for Walt while also saying Kay is not a good candidate.

Why did you not vote for Tommy Battle?

Seems like Roy Moore Part II.

Also highlights how bad this state is run and what kind of swamp we've got on our hands and we ALL know it.

Next election are y'all going to do something about it or vote for the Montgomery Swamp Candidate again and expect different results?

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540815
07/31/18 09:07 AM
07/31/18 09:07 AM
USA
R
Remington270 Offline
Freak of Nature
Remington270  Offline
Freak of Nature
R
USA
Originally Posted by Vernon Tull

Also, if Alabama continues to have a supermajority in Montgomery, it's only a matter of time before Republicans with the help of the Koch brothers and other groups take away teacher, law enforcement, and fire fighter retirement. We have ALDEER brothers here who will be substantially hurt by the changes coming to Alabama's public worker retirement in the years to come if we don't have a balance of power and voices in Montgomery.

You think they'll just take away the pensions? Like, poof, gone? They've got all sorts of legal reasons why that isn't possible. It's very rare even in states/municipalities that have gone bankrupt, for workers to actually lose their retirement, besides the obvious fact that any politician voting to do away with existing retirement would be politically unwise.

Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: AU338MAG] #2540832
07/31/18 09:30 AM
07/31/18 09:30 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Ivey is the worst kind of swamp creature. She is completely in the pocket of special interests and she is only a figurehead for the office. Her staff is handpicked by the interest groups and they set her agenda and will protect her, which is really to protect the special interest groups. But, she's the horse we've got so we might as well ride her because Walt is only trying to obfuscate his true liberal beliefs with half truths and political BS talk.

How is this any different than what we've had since George Wallace?

Fob - "catered to business interests and special interests"
Hunt - "man of the people, country guy, manipulated by those behind the scenes"
Folsom - "career politician," The Accidental Governor
Siegelman - career politician - literally - and no explanation needed
Riley - "catered to business interests and special interests"
Bentley - The Big Mistake
Ivey - "caters to business and special interests"

What governor ever has been for The People of their state? They always are beholden to special interests. Even Moonbeam Brown in Kaliforniastan is beholden to them.

Maddox would be the same way.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Remington270] #2540838
07/31/18 09:40 AM
07/31/18 09:40 AM
Guntersville
K
klay Offline
10 point
klay  Offline
10 point
K
Guntersville
Originally Posted by Remington270

You think they'll just take away the pensions? Like, poof, gone? They've got all sorts of legal reasons why that isn't possible. It's very rare even in states/municipalities that have gone bankrupt, for workers to actually lose their retirement, besides the obvious fact that any politician voting to do away with existing retirement would be politically unwise.

Don't know the ins added outs, but there is major talk of going to a 401k. Some people may like it, but I knowof several that will walk for a different job when this happens. Mainly fire and ems.

Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Remington270] #2540846
07/31/18 09:49 AM
07/31/18 09:49 AM
NE AL
duxlayer Offline
8 point
duxlayer  Offline
8 point
NE AL
Originally Posted by Remington270

Look up Alabama’s state retirement right now . If you were hired after 2013 you are on Tier 2 which means you are getting royally f*** . More money taken out of your check but you will draw substantially less than tier 1 when you are eligible to retire in 40+ years ( done away with the 25 yr retirement ). Alabama’s politics and government has been a s*** show since 2006 and it only continues to get worse for people planning on retiring if your in state govt , teachers , and municipalities.
I won’t vote for another cork soaker reguardless of party that continues to put MY money in the damn general fund so they can buy a cabin and rent damn whores with it .
Nathaniel Ledbetter from Rainsville is the only damn one who is trying to fix the shitshow of a retirement system that these Conservative candidates we continue to put in there shi*** up . I’m sure they will can his ass as soon as possible since he has a smidge of sense.

Last edited by duxlayer; 07/31/18 09:53 AM.
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540892
07/31/18 10:31 AM
07/31/18 10:31 AM
Marion County, Alabama
V
Vernon Tull Offline OP
10 point
Vernon Tull  Offline OP
10 point
V
Marion County, Alabama
I don't know duxlayer above, but he's exactly right on several points.

Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540904
07/31/18 10:52 AM
07/31/18 10:52 AM
Tampa
B
Beer Belly Offline
Freak of Nature
Beer Belly  Offline
Freak of Nature
B
Tampa
A vote for a DEMOCRAT is a vote for HIGHER TAXES and bigger government. No matter what they say, democrats are all about group think, and that group thing is to benefit them and hurt the people.

Last edited by Beer Belly; 07/31/18 10:52 AM.

--------------
For what it is worth: I still agree with me!
A big man will stand up for himself; a great man will stand up for others.
Processor Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1OTDcvGoo3puyO-CV10he3pH97IE
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540911
07/31/18 10:59 AM
07/31/18 10:59 AM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
Just an honest question here. What makes anyone feel that they are "entitled" to a generous pension, benefits and retirement? 95% of the rest of the workers in the US are not, so why should another be, just because they are a public or govt employee. In a ton of areas, the govt and public wage structures have almost caught up with private industry whereas that was not the case 40 or even 20 years ago. The lucrative pensions were necessary to attract people back when the wage structure was only 60% of what others were paid to do the same job in private industry. Instead, over the years, they've lobbied for and gotten pay raises to bring them up closer market rate, while at the same time fully expecting to have full paid health care coverage, every holiday known to man off, and a generous pension on top of it all.

Here's the way it works for the rest of us in the real world where there's no such thing as tenure or seniority. What you make is soley based on your performance and hard work and if you dont work hard, you dont have a job. You earn your money, invest wisely, put back savings each week, start a business that will continue to provide cashflow to you after you retire, set up an IRA, take advantage of any 401(k) and matching that your employer may offer. This is how the rest of the world plans for retirement.

I dont begrudge anyone that started 40 years ago and they are fully entitled to the pension plan that they started under when they went to work. They suffered through those early years when the wage structure was not nearly as fair as it is today. Good for them and I hope they enjoy that retirement. At the same time, I cant stand to hear people complaining today about how they actually have to pay something for their health insurance and lord forbid, they actually have to participate in a 401(K) like the rest of the world, instead of a fully funded pension plan that allows fully vested retirement after 25 yrs. Nobody is able to retire in private industry after just 25 yrs otherwise every 50 yr old out there would be retired. I can assure you that if it does move to a 401(k), the matching %'s will be double what the private industry companies are offering.

Last edited by abolt300; 07/31/18 11:02 AM.
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: abolt300] #2540960
07/31/18 12:09 PM
07/31/18 12:09 PM
NE AL
duxlayer Offline
8 point
duxlayer  Offline
8 point
NE AL
I assume you are directing that at me about so I will respond. I don’t feel entitled to anything I work three jobs and hustle and make money every chance I can . I have worked since was 16 . Went and got a college degree but could earn more money and it was closer to home for me to work for a local govt (municipality ) and the benefits package was a big draw to working there as opposed to going and making $10-12 more per hour in the private sector . It just sucks when they start takin away the benefits that caused me to pick this job and putting it ,as the lady said last week “ back into the retirement systems of Alabama “. F the state of Alabama and the cork suckers strokin a pen in Montgomery I’m gonna watch out for me and get mine . My Parents always told me if you want something soft in life s** in your hand . Btw our company matches 15% in rsa-1. So now you really got something to cry about .

Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: abolt300] #2540969
07/31/18 12:27 PM
07/31/18 12:27 PM
Guntersville
K
klay Offline
10 point
klay  Offline
10 point
K
Guntersville
Originally Posted by abolt300
Just an honest question here. What makes anyone feel that they are "entitled" to a generous pension, benefits and retirement? 95% of the rest of the workers in the US are not, so why should another be, just because they are a public or govt employee. In a ton of areas, the govt and public wage structures have almost caught up with private industry whereas that was not the case 40 or even 20 years ago. The lucrative pensions were necessary to attract people back when the wage structure was only 60% of what others were paid to do the same job in private industry. Instead, over the years, they've lobbied for and gotten pay raises to bring them up closer market rate, while at the same time fully expecting to have full paid health care coverage, every holiday known to man off, and a generous pension on top of it all.

Here's the way it works for the rest of us in the real world where there's no such thing as tenure or seniority. What you make is soley based on your performance and hard work and if you dont work hard, you dont have a job. You earn your money, invest wisely, put back savings each week, start a business that will continue to provide cashflow to you after you retire, set up an IRA, take advantage of any 401(k) and matching that your employer may offer. This is how the rest of the world plans for retirement.

I dont begrudge anyone that started 40 years ago and they are fully entitled to the pension plan that they started under when they went to work. They suffered through those early years when the wage structure was not nearly as fair as it is today. Good for them and I hope they enjoy that retirement. At the same time, I cant stand to hear people complaining today about how they actually have to pay something for their health insurance and lord forbid, they actually have to participate in a 401(K) like the rest of the world, instead of a fully funded pension plan that allows fully vested retirement after 25 yrs. Nobody is able to retire in private industry after just 25 yrs otherwise every 50 yr old out there would be retired. I can assure you that if it does move to a 401(k), the matching %'s will be double what the private industry companies are offering.

I'm with duxlayer. I don't know what he does, but i know what I do, and almost every person I know works 2 or 3 jobs. Everyone of them could be making more money. The benefits are why most are here. If they go away, and everyone leaves for better jobs, then the quality of people entering into these jobs will probably go down as well. Or they will have to raise the pay for them to stay. Then everyone will complain that the state is spending too much on salaries. By the way, we don't get insurance when we retire.

Last edited by klay; 07/31/18 12:28 PM.
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540971
07/31/18 12:30 PM
07/31/18 12:30 PM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
I was actually talking about VT bitching about having to pay $900 for great insurance and constantly complaining about teacher's wages. For the record, I'm not crying about anything. I was merely stating facts. Your statement above just proved my point exactly. Dollar for dollar with a 15% salary match in a 401(K) is unheard of in the rest of the world. That's great that you have that opportunity and I'm proud for you. If retirement is your goal, just smile, go to work everyday and be happy because you're not going to get that or anywhere close to that in private industry.

Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540977
07/31/18 12:36 PM
07/31/18 12:36 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
As a state employee I’m certainly not entitled to anything, but on the flip side I’m going to fight to keep the benefits I do have. The benefits certainly make up for the salary differences from the private sector. And for the record, I work a part time job AND do seasonal work on top of what I give the people of AL. Call entitled or whatever you want to call it.

Back to the topic. Salty Walty don’t stand a chance in this election.

Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Mbrock] #2540980
07/31/18 12:41 PM
07/31/18 12:41 PM
AL
T
therealhojo Offline
8 point
therealhojo  Offline
8 point
T
AL
Originally Posted by Mbrock
As a state employee I’m certainly not entitled to anything, but on the flip side I’m going to fight to keep the benefits I do have. The benefits certainly make up for the salary differences from the private sector. And for the record, I work a part time job AND do seasonal work on top of what I give the people of AL. Call entitled or whatever you want to call it.

Back to the topic. Salty Walty don’t stand a chance in this election.

It got derailed pretty fast!

Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: doekiller] #2540985
07/31/18 12:49 PM
07/31/18 12:49 PM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
Originally Posted by doekiller
Originally Posted by jawbone

My wife also has a Masters and has been out to the school several days already getting prepared for next year. Deduct from her salary also the supplies she pays out of her own pocket because of the parent that will send their kids to school in $200 shoes and no supplies (yes, this was yesterday's Facebook Rant), and the insurance isn't that great. Most, if, they can afford to retire can't afford the sudden insurance rate hike to $900/mos. Teaching is not all that great, nor is it the worst job in the world. It is a calling.

Tell me a better insurance these days. Especially for the cost for family coverage. Even $900 is cheaper than most people are paying.

As for spending your own money. Yes, my wife has done that in the past. But, a lot of that depends on the system where they work.

The City of Selma provided us with better insurance. Peehip isn't the worst, but it is not as great as many people think.

Last edited by jawbone; 07/31/18 12:50 PM.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: Vernon Tull] #2540991
07/31/18 12:58 PM
07/31/18 12:58 PM
B'ham
Goatkiller Offline
14 point
Goatkiller  Offline
14 point
B'ham

Couple thoughts....

First... They should do away with pensions period. They are a bad deal. This is why in the private sector pensions are largely a thing of the past and/or they should be. I know people like AL Power still provide pensions but they should end that practice. In the end we (you and I) will fund that pension obligation through increased utility costs. Same with any public jobs, state local or otherwise. I don't need to fund anyone's retirement I am having a hard enough time funding my own.

Second... if that is the reason you took the job in the first place I don't feel sorry for you. You knew what you were getting into. You said to yourself I want job security, I want guaranteed money at retirement, and apparently a lot of you said and.... by they way.... I also want to get paid as well as private sector jobs.

That's not how that works.

When I was making this decision I said I don't want that. I want to be all I can be. I want to make it on my own by my own effort and live or die by my work ethic, intelligence, etc.

Now... I will be fair. That is an oversimplification of the situtation. But that is also why I didn't choose to be Fire Fighter. Because I knew I would never make a ton of money. I have great respect for those that made that decision it is somewhat similar to being a soldier and I 100% admire other's sense of duty to serve their country and or their community.

But in the same breath this argument also sounds like someone signed up to be a soldier thinking there is no way they would have to actually fight or get shot.

It doesn't work that way.

They should provide you with the benefits you were promised when you signed up and not a penny more or a penny less. And I will get on board with any and all of you guys in that regard. We need to keep our promises.

But in the end I think there should be no promises made in the first place. And if that means we don't have enough police officers the system will change.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.
Re: Why Folks Will Vote for Walt Maddox [Re: abolt300] #2540992
07/31/18 01:00 PM
07/31/18 01:00 PM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
Originally Posted by abolt300

Uh the same reason you expect to get social security. You PAID into it

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.