</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso box blade
by kntree. 04/25/24 11:31 PM
Leupold vx freedom
by twaldrop4. 04/25/24 09:50 PM
WTB/WTTF Browning MK3 DBM 308
by Sendero558. 04/25/24 07:29 PM
1999 Scout 162 with Yamaha 90 2 stroke
by billrv. 04/25/24 07:02 PM
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
102 registered members (Clayton, mdavis, AWT6, Semo, Standbanger, lefthorn, jchurch, TurkeyJoe, desertdog, MarkAlan, BamaPlowboy, Remington270, DoeNut, BhamFred, GmeHunter, SouthBamaSlayer, ParrotHead89, kyles, Booner Hunter, Petey, AHolcomb, Ridge Life, coldtrail, Droptine-13, IDOT, dtmwtp, dwaugh, GrandSlam, Floorman1, jarcher38, .308, Big Al, Geno, BPI, Omega One, BCLC, GHTiger10, AJones, klay, CrimsonWSM, Hunting-231, Forrestgump1, fish_blackbass, apolloslade, Beak_Buster, low wall, M48scout, Bows4evr, BearBranch, 10 POINT, Showout, brett.smith, JohnG, KnightRyder, AustinC, deadeye48, 4Tigers, Turkey_neck, joe sixpack, wk2hnt, deerman24, antlerhunter, GomerPyle, Big AL 76, Bmyers142, SurveyinAL, twaldrop4, Young20, demp17, Mdees, leroycnbucks, Wapiti55, quickshot, Shotts, GoldenEagle, Buckwheat, Koba, AU7MM08, MCW, Cactus_buck, BrentsFX4, RebFormanUDA, chuck216, BGR, Tree Dweller, sw1002, Tailwalk7, Gunner211, Bruno, Fattyfireplug, Geeb, 11 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: Hogwild] #2469566
04/25/18 08:53 PM
04/25/18 08:53 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson

[/ [/quote]
BUT, there is absolutely no way that it will provide more, or better, food than a quality feeder that is maintained with protein pellets.
[/quote]

I agree on a leaf/blade of grass comparison with a protein pellet. However, two weeks after the season is over when the feeder is not refilled (yes, one can bet it will be well maintained during the season) that is where the comparison stops and the food plot far exceeds the feeder in benefit to the wildlife. Which is what the reality is and will be. If "hunters" wanted to do the best thing for the deer and other wildlife regarding feeders that would be to us them when the wildlife needs it most which is after the rut when the deer need to recover and there is less nutritious browse available. But that is not the reason for the baiting in the first place, that reason is to make it easier to kill all of those deer that everybody complains that there are too few of. Thorough lack of common sense and a lot of finding the easiest solution possible is the answer du jour!

Carry on.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2469795
04/26/18 06:14 AM
04/26/18 06:14 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
Thanks. Exactly the point I was making.

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There�s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. � Ronald Reagan
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2469843
04/26/18 07:19 AM
04/26/18 07:19 AM
alabama
outdoors1 Offline
10 point
outdoors1  Offline
10 point
alabama
Originally Posted by BigUncleLeroy
I'd honestly rather see it strictly enforced; I feel that it alters the natural biological patterns of the deer to such a degree that it is detrimental to the sport. If it is going to pass, it needs to come a long with a heavy tag price that will substantially benefit state conservation resources, and more stringent harvest limitations/restrictions.

Don't agree period! It will increase your kill ratio and you will have less injured deer if you do your part. Hunting out of state on baited deer before I am speaking by what I observed. Why tax it, we should start taxing plot hunters in that case. More taxes who would suggest such a thing. You control what you shoot state just attempts to regulate you don't shoot a deer you will have all you want. Baiting don't kill deer people shooting them do. Corn no corn you should be able to chose. Will not matter either way to me, but the statements I hear about corn are almost all wrong.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2469879
04/26/18 07:58 AM
04/26/18 07:58 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Again, most of the people willing to pay the expense of quality feeders and protein pelllets also know that the most imprortnt time for them is late Winter/early Spring and then again in late Summer.

But, let’s not let facts get in the way of assumptions!

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: Hogwild] #2469903
04/26/18 08:24 AM
04/26/18 08:24 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted by Hogwild
Again, most of the people willing to pay the expense of quality feeders and protein pelllets also know that the most imprortnt time for them is late Winter/early Spring and then again in late Summer.

But, let’s not let facts get in the way of assumptions!

Yes, but that's getting further advanced into ANIMALS and Botany than the average Alabama hunter will ever be or cares to be. The average hunter just picks up a bag of corn at Wal-Mart around Nov 15 and that's good. Not hard to understand that late winter there is less browse. But late summer there is plenty Most look at all the plant life and say the have plenty.. BUT THE PLANTS ARE GOING THROUGH A CHANGE AND IT'S NOT QUALITY FOOD!! I see it with cows, donkeys, deer, and rabbits every year. I didn't learn that from a deer. I didn't learn it from hunters. That came from growing up with a bunch of old farmers.
The average hunter just doesn't care to get that deep.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2469961
04/26/18 09:04 AM
04/26/18 09:04 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
So, let’s just lump everybody together and treat them all the same because some don’t know or care??

Here is a News Flash.....

Not all food plots are created equal!
I would say that MOST people have no idea what the pH of their soil is, plant annual seeds that are not very nutritious, the plants mature early providing little to nothing for game and were not properly fertilized so they don’t even produce a healthy seed crop.

So?
Should we make them illegal?

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: Hogwild] #2469978
04/26/18 09:22 AM
04/26/18 09:22 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
So, let’s just lump everybody together and treat them all the same because some don’t know or care??

I would say that MOST people have no idea what the pH of their soil is, plant annual seeds that are not very nutritious, the plants mature early providing little to nothing for game and were not properly fertilized so they don’t even produce a healthy seed crop.

So?

No, I'm not for it or against. I'm on varies properties through out season and see it a lot. Whatever. I will continue plant my corn fields. For consistently being able to kill a good buck if I do choose, I have found this to be the best for me. And quite frankly, it's the best for me because I'm lazy and after the initial planting, I don't have to go back to it if I choose.

But there's not going to be a full understanding by the AVERAGE Alabama hunter on what THEY need to do to maximize results, if that would even be possible with their resources And whether it becomes law of not, I won't change and don't care what others choose to do. I'm still going to be lazy.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2469993
04/26/18 09:31 AM
04/26/18 09:31 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
You mention foodplots. The people on here are above average deer people in various degrees because they are still thinking deer. I see regular on here pics of foodplots that are knee high. Someone will say it looks good. Maybe for y'all but over about ankle high with me is totally usless. I'd plow it up and start over before I have a plot of grain even approaching knee high during season.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: Hogwild] #2469995
04/26/18 09:34 AM
04/26/18 09:34 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson

So?

I would agree with the ph comment. The seed comment, not so much unless folks are going to the local bulk seed seller and getting it dumped in the back of the truck. I would believe most purchase seed from the local Co-Op in a pre-mixed bag blend that contains cool weather annuals and perennials, which provide nutritious browse through the winter and early spring. Fertilizer comment, I would agree with. However, if the "hunters" are not going to fertilize correctly are they going to be inconvenienced to take a day off from the the next immediate gratification endeavor to go buy feed, drive 1, 2, 3, 4 hours to fill up a feeder every couple of weeks??

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2469996
04/26/18 09:35 AM
04/26/18 09:35 AM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
Simple solution....keep corn illegal and allow feeding/baiting by the use of protein pellets year round, Heck even make them buy a masterbaiting permit. The baiters get to play the game they want and it helps the deer herd at the same time.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: Fun4all] #2470008
04/26/18 09:47 AM
04/26/18 09:47 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted by Fun4all

So?

I would agree with the ph comment. The seed comment, not so much unless folks are going to the local bulk seed seller and getting it dumped in the back of the truck. I would believe most purchase seed from the local Co-Op in a pre-mixed bag blend that contains cool weather annuals and perennials, which provide nutritious browse through the winter and early spring. Fertilizer comment, I would agree with. However, if the "hunters" are not going to fertilize correctly are they going to be inconvenienced to take a day off from the the next immediate gratification endeavor to go buy feed, drive 1, 2, 3, 4 hours to fill up a feeder every couple of weeks??

Back to the botany. Planted too early, or mother nature, can cause the plant quality to be less. There's a word for that but I can't remember. In other words, planting a plot in August in Mobile stands a great chance of being usless. But you've trialed and errored enough as I have you know that. Lord knows I've weighted heavy on the error side. I'm going back to bed.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2470015
04/26/18 09:56 AM
04/26/18 09:56 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
As I have said before, as long as it remains the same as it is now, and no over-zealous, mind-reading GW decides that my Supplemental Feeders are actually Bait, even though they meet the criteria of the Supplemental Feeding Regulation, I am fine with it.

However, I would prefer not to have to ‘worry’ about an individual’s interpretation of the Laws and Regulations.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: Hogwild] #2470092
04/26/18 11:18 AM
04/26/18 11:18 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
As I have said before, as long as it remains the same as it is now, and no over-zealous, mind-reading GW decides that my Supplemental Feeders are actually Bait, even though they meet the criteria of the Supplemental Feeding Regulation, I am fine with it.

However, I would prefer not to have to ‘worry’ about an individual’s interpretation of the Laws and Regulations.

Agree with you there!

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There�s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. � Ronald Reagan
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2470916
04/27/18 08:00 AM
04/27/18 08:00 AM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline
Booner
E
Prattville AL
I think if passed it will erode more of our hunting heritage. We will become more like TX. Put out a feeder and sit and wait. And please don't start with the food plot is the same thing. This is simply my opinion.

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: ElkHunter] #2470960
04/27/18 08:41 AM
04/27/18 08:41 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
Originally Posted by ElkHunter
I think if passed it will erode more of our hunting heritage. We will become more like TX. Put out a feeder and sit and wait. And please don't start with the food plot is the same thing. This is simply my opinion.

Reminds me of that episode of King of the Hill. I dislike the arguments used to support baiting I think more than the idea of actually baiting:
1) My rich neighbors are doing it and I can't afford it
2) My poor redneck neighbors are doing it
3) It's no different than food plots
4) _____ state is doing it

My main concern with baiting or any other issue related to hunting is whether or not it’s good for wildlife.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: BigUncleLeroy] #2470962
04/27/18 08:44 AM
04/27/18 08:44 AM
Athens, GA
W
WildlifeBiologist Offline
10 point
WildlifeBiologist  Offline
10 point
W
Athens, GA
You are not alone. There are ample biological and ethical grounds for prohibiting hunting over bait. But my opinion is of little consequence. Only a few key facts matter at this point. One fact is that the special interest forces in Alabama are now aligned to legalize baiting. Power brokers finally have enablers in key positions to make it happen. Another fact is that baiting opens Pandora's Box. Baiting can serve as a gateway to high fences, breeder pens, tagged bucks sold by the B&C inch, and a perceived commoditizing of deer. And this leads to the most sobering fact. That is, the future of hunting will be decided by the non-hunting public. Public support of hunting is highest when game is taken for food, and it is lowest when game is taken for "sport" or "trophy" or via "canned hunts." If non-hunters reach a tipping point where they no longer support hunting, it will be taken from us. We should all let that soak in.

The moral of the story is: Be careful what you ask for. We must conduct ourselves in a way that increase public support of hunting, rather than erodes public support. Non-hunters are watching us. And their opinions matter as much or more than ours.

Last edited by WildlifeBiologist; 04/27/18 09:40 AM.

Micah 6:8
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: WildlifeBiologist] #2470965
04/27/18 08:49 AM
04/27/18 08:49 AM
AL
J
jhardy Offline
6 point
jhardy  Offline
6 point
J
AL
Originally Posted by WildlifeBiologist
You are not alone. There are ample biological and ethical grounds for prohibiting hunting over bait. But my opinion is of little consequence. Only a few key facts matter at this point. One fact is that the special interest forces in Alabama are now aligned to legalize baiting. Power brokers finally have enablers in key positions to make it happen. Another fact is that baiting opens Pandora's Box. With it comes breeder pens, tagged bucks sold by the B&C inch, and a perceived commoditizing of deer. And this leads to the most sobering fact. That is, the future of hunting will be decided by the non-hunting public. Public support of hunting is highest when game is taken for food, and it is lowest when game is taken for "sport" or "trophy" or "canned hunts." If non-hunters reach a tipping point where they no longer support hunting, it will be taken from us. We should all let that soak in. Be careful what you ask for.

Jerry

Don't agree with you on the ethical grounds. That said, you are very much educated on the biological ramifications. Can you expound on the biological grounds for prohibiting baiting? I am for less regulations, but not to the detriment of the health of any animal population. Would love to hear concrete rationale (studies) that show it to be a detriment. And I am not out to prove you wrong. I sincerely want to know.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: jb20] #2470966
04/27/18 08:50 AM
04/27/18 08:50 AM
Athens, GA
W
WildlifeBiologist Offline
10 point
WildlifeBiologist  Offline
10 point
W
Athens, GA
Originally Posted by jb20
While i disagree with your thought process it honestly doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me if it passes or doesnt. Its not going to affect my hunting.

Nothing could be further from the truth. It most certainly will affect your hunting and mine.

Last edited by WildlifeBiologist; 04/27/18 08:51 AM.

Micah 6:8
Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: Recurve] #2470972
04/27/18 08:59 AM
04/27/18 08:59 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted by Recurve

My main concern with baiting or any other issue related to hunting is whether or not it’s good for wildlife.

ANY subject, I don't care if it's NOT good for the wildlife. Just be neutral. IT JUST CAN NOT BE BAD FOR THE WILDLIFE! An example is the Feb extension in the north. It's not going to be good for wildlife. If it's neutral, no effect, then hunt it. But some think it is not good. Ok, let's hear their view. They may be right. In the end for everything wildlife just don't be bad. That's what I have been saying all along.

Re: Am I alone in not supporting the baiting bill? [Re: WildlifeBiologist] #2470973
04/27/18 09:00 AM
04/27/18 09:00 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted by WildlifeBiologist
Originally Posted by jb20
While i disagree with your thought process it honestly doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me if it passes or doesnt. Its not going to affect my hunting.

Nothing could be further from the truth. It most certainly will affect your hunting and mine.

You lost me there. Could you please explain.

Never mind. I read your previous post and see what you were talking about. I, and assume jb20,,where thinking of my property and the neighbor is pouring out corn. Already happening but you're looking at a much bigger picture.

Last edited by centralala; 04/27/18 09:06 AM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.