</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
WTB - Browning Maxus
by Okatuppa. 04/26/24 11:25 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by cgardner. 04/26/24 07:15 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
83 registered members (johnv, KnightRyder, AHolcomb, WDE, hunterturf, Showout, DEDTRKY, Turkeyneck78, 7x57_Mauser, jb20, Andalusia, AL18, Butchman205, oakachoy, Hammertime7v2, CatHeadBiscuit, AU coonhunter, dirtwrk, Chiller, square, Coosa1, BamaBoHunter, Bustinbeards, Fishduck, BobK, JEM270, AUdeerhunter, Shmoe, Big Buck Video, MCbama, wareagul, BCLC, AustinC, odocoileus, Ten37, Rooster600, Nightwatchman, Boathand, CouchNapper, BamaGuitarDude, ImThere, mauvilla, Jweeks, Slowclimb35, Skullworks, cdaddy14, Buckshot77, scrubbuck, Wildboar14, 3bailey3, dustymac, oldforester, eskimo270, Jbf, Whild_Bill, 1hunter, Bows4evr, IDOT, sawdust, Bowfish, BigA47, 7mmSTW, Turkey, Cactus_buck, nate409, AJones, Narrow Gap, CCC, Okatuppa, TurkeyJoe, Mike32, GomerPyle, BRP549, bug54, 9 invisible), 810 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: jawbone] #2433618
03/13/18 05:01 PM
03/13/18 05:01 PM
AL
H
hunterbuck Offline
Booner
hunterbuck  Offline
Booner
H
AL
Originally Posted by jawbone

Originally Posted by hunterbuck
I don't care if it's legalized or not. But, I do have a couple of observations...

Calling it "feeding" or "supplemental feeding" vs calling it "baiting" is silly. Feeding/supplemental feeding is 100% legal right now. You can put whatever you want in your feeder right now to help your deer herd, and you can have as many feeders on your property with whatever magical concoction you choose to put in them as you desire to have. There are exactly zero laws against having feeders on your property now...they simply have to be 100+ yards and out of sight from where you're hunting. If you desire to call hunting over food plots "baiting" too, have at it. But, to have the stance that you're not able to provide your deer what you feel they need, then that's simply a falsehood...and not a valid argument for legalizing baiting.

I see several stating "less laws/regulations" as their stance on wanting baiting legalized. I see some of those same people wanting the state to limit the doe harvest statewide. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me. If the state legalizes baiting but doesn't limit the doe harvest, how do you feel that will affect the state's deer herd? Not all "brown it's down" hunters are outlaws. But, they WILL use every legal means to continue with their "brown it's down" quest. No one talks about that gorilla in the room.

The EXTREME argument of the "against baiting" crowd saying that those "for baiting" obviously need a pile of corn to kill a deer is just stupid. The EXTREME counter-argument of the "for baiting" crowd that those "against baiting" should be running around in a loincloth with a spear is equally stupid. Just stop...both sides.

Like I said...I don't care either way. In proof-reading my post, it may appear as if I'm against it, but I'm really not. I just don't see any validity in the "I'm not allowed to feed my deer" argument, nor do I feel that it's ok to use "less laws" as an argument FOR baiting, but also be in favor of limiting doe harvest. You either feel that folks should be able to do what they want on their own property, or you don't. If you don't want to shoot does on your property, then don't. That's how you CHOOSE to manage your property...and how your neighbor CHOOSES to manage his property should be of no concern to you. Quite honestly, I don't mind a brown it's down neighbor. Deer don't seem to hang around there very often, and they see my place as a nice, unpressured spot to hang out.

I agree with most of this, but like we've covered ad nauseum, if you put out something, say corn, with intentions of drawing game in to kill it, that is baiting and is still illegal. No matter the distance or sight line. Supplemental feeding means you are not hunting over it .

Oh, I completely agree. I was simply giving leeway to the state's allowance of 100 yards and out of sight.

"You think I care? Roll Damn Tide"

Have you tried Google?
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2433624
03/13/18 05:09 PM
03/13/18 05:09 PM
Molino, Fl
T
Tightline Offline
3 point
Tightline  Offline
3 point
T
Molino, Fl
I've hunted around feeders many, many years, here in Fl. It's not the silver bullet some seem to think. I will say, it is a doe magnet. What happens when you have does? Bucks show up chasing, trying to cut one out, around mid January. It's no different than a spot that holds does naturally. Now, don't get me wrong. You can see bucks at a feeder, but not so much until it has been established for a few years. Fawns growing up around feeders, learn not to be afraid of them. Unless they witness momma or sister being shot. They get more nocturnal then. You most likely aren't gonna see Bullwinkle, at a feeder, during daylight hours, after the season has started.
I will say, people (especially kids) can learn a lot watching deer at a feeder. One thing I DO KNOW. There are no absolutes of, or about, anything, when it comes to deer hunting. As soon as you think you've figured it out. Well, you know.
Lastly, I have seen and killed more bucks in Al, without baiting, supplemental feeding, what ever you want to call it, than I have in Fl.
Just my $.02 observation from down here around a feeder.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2433739
03/13/18 07:53 PM
03/13/18 07:53 PM
Hayden, Alabama
H
HHSyelper Offline
10 point
HHSyelper  Offline
10 point
H
Hayden, Alabama
Can't find anything that says whether they read it today or not. Has anyone hear or read anything on the timing of the next step? Thanks

To God Be The Glory!
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2433770
03/13/18 08:28 PM
03/13/18 08:28 PM
Oak Grove
BREEZE1 Offline
10 point
BREEZE1  Offline
10 point
Oak Grove
They just gonna keep bringing this thing up every year until the right deal is made. Sombody says I will give you 10% tax on every bag of corn sold. Done the next day.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2433840
03/13/18 10:42 PM
03/13/18 10:42 PM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
Its dead on arrival

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2433850
03/13/18 10:59 PM
03/13/18 10:59 PM
PDL, Fl
T
timbercruiser Offline
Freak of Nature
timbercruiser  Offline
Freak of Nature
T
PDL, Fl
Ben is that opinion or you have some information.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2433956
03/14/18 07:44 AM
03/14/18 07:44 AM
NW AL
H
hhsdc78 Offline
spike
hhsdc78  Offline
spike
H
NW AL
Talked with one of the ALFA lobbyist and he said the same Senators who have always been opposed are still opposed. He thinks it still has an uphill battle to pass this year.
I emailed one of the Legislators yesterday and got this response, "I think it will be on the floor of the Senate this week and it stands a very good chance of passing."

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2434012
03/14/18 08:32 AM
03/14/18 08:32 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

What's the status of 271 - the bill that would merge DCNR and the Department of Agriculture?

That's the one that's screwed up. Governor Peckerlover combined all the law enforcement agencies into this "big, streamlined unit!" and that failed. Doing the same with Ag and Wildlife likely would not have a good, positive outcome and possibly would be disastrous.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: Clem] #2434063
03/14/18 09:37 AM
03/14/18 09:37 AM
Anytown. usa
pcamper Offline
10 point
pcamper  Offline
10 point
Anytown. usa
Originally Posted by Clem

What's the status of 271 - the bill that would merge DCNR and the Department of Agriculture?

That's the one that's screwed up. Governor Peckerlover combined all the law enforcement agencies into this "big, streamlined unit!" and that failed. Doing the same with Ag and Wildlife likely would not have a good, positive outcome and possibly would be disastrous.

Everybody refers to Bentley as Gov Peckerlover....farthest thing from the truth. He may love his pecker but he’s knocking 80. That pecker has to have been shriveled for years. When you get to that age, it ain’t nothing but a quart jar of sagging balls. I bet the pecker ain’t seen the light of day for 20 years...
grin

When Rebecca said there was no sex, i think she was right. That pecker been limp for years.

Lone Watie: I'm glad you stopped me when you did. I might have killed her
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: hunterbuck] #2434070
03/14/18 09:44 AM
03/14/18 09:44 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
I don't care if it's legalized or not. But, I do have a couple of observations...

Calling it "feeding" or "supplemental feeding" vs calling it "baiting" is silly. Feeding/supplemental feeding is 100% legal right now. You can put whatever you want in your feeder right now to help your deer herd, and you can have as many feeders on your property with whatever magical concoction you choose to put in them as you desire to have. There are exactly zero laws against having feeders on your property now...they simply have to be 100+ yards and out of sight from where you're hunting. If you desire to call hunting over food plots "baiting" too, have at it. But, to have the stance that you're not able to provide your deer what you feel they need, then that's simply a falsehood...and not a valid argument for legalizing baiting.

I see several stating "less laws/regulations" as their stance on wanting baiting legalized. I see some of those same people wanting the state to limit the doe harvest statewide. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me. If the state legalizes baiting but doesn't limit the doe harvest, how do you feel that will affect the state's deer herd? Not all "brown it's down" hunters are outlaws. But, they WILL use every legal means to continue with their "brown it's down" quest. No one talks about that gorilla in the room.

The EXTREME argument of the "against baiting" crowd saying that those "for baiting" obviously need a pile of corn to kill a deer is just stupid. The EXTREME counter-argument of the "for baiting" crowd that those "against baiting" should be running around in a loincloth with a spear is equally stupid. Just stop...both sides.

Like I said...I don't care either way. In proof-reading my post, it may appear as if I'm against it, but I'm really not. I just don't see any validity in the "I'm not allowed to feed my deer" argument, nor do I feel that it's ok to use "less laws" as an argument FOR baiting, but also be in favor of limiting doe harvest. You either feel that folks should be able to do what they want on their own property, or you don't. If you don't want to shoot does on your property, then don't. That's how you CHOOSE to manage your property...and how your neighbor CHOOSES to manage his property should be of no concern to you. Quite honestly, I don't mind a brown it's down neighbor. Deer don't seem to hang around there very often, and they see my place as a nice, unpressured spot to hang out.

Lots of good points there. I have been pretty consistent in wanting less regulation, but I don't think it's inconsistent to want the dcnr to restrict the doe harvest enough that some areas don't become completely devoid of deer. If one guy owns a section of land and kills 5 does per season, that is probably sustainable. But if that section is owned in 16 blocks of 40 acres by 16 different people, and each one kills just one doe, then that is probably not sustainable.

The dcnr has a function and I think they have dropped the ball with the liberal doe harvest in areas with a lot of small landowners. This isn't complicated; Charles Kelley showed them how to do it for decades, and he did with limited regulations.

There is so much corn in the woods now that I don't think making it completely legal would make much difference to the deer. But I sure wish they would just make it either legal or illegal. The system now is confusing, and requiring a baiting license is politics of the worst sort.

I just hope they never make it legal to bait turkeys. They will have to radically shorten the season if they do.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2434115
03/14/18 10:23 AM
03/14/18 10:23 AM
NW AL
H
hhsdc78 Offline
spike
hhsdc78  Offline
spike
H
NW AL
My contacts say SB 271 has very little chance of passing. I know the Alabama Farmers Federation is against it.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2434147
03/14/18 10:53 AM
03/14/18 10:53 AM
Sumter County
sumpter_al Offline
10 point
sumpter_al  Offline
10 point
Sumter County
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Lots of good points there. I have been pretty consistent in wanting less regulation, but I don't think it's inconsistent to want the dcnr to restrict the doe harvest enough that some areas don't become completely devoid of deer. If one guy owns a section of land and kills 5 does per season, that is probably sustainable. But if that section is owned in 16 blocks of 40 acres by 16 different people, and each one kills just one doe, then that is probably not sustainable.

The dcnr has a function and I think they have dropped the ball with the liberal doe harvest in areas with a lot of small landowners. This isn't complicated; Charles Kelley showed them how to do it for decades, and he did with limited regulations.

There is so much corn in the woods now that I don't think making it completely legal would make much difference to the deer. But I sure wish they would just make it either legal or illegal. The system now is confusing, and requiring a baiting license is politics of the worst sort.

I just hope they never make it legal to bait turkeys. They will have to radically shorten the season if they do.

PCP makes good points. The doe harvest needs working but I cant think how to make it work unless they tied total does removed from a parcel based on acerage but that would be a logistical nightmare. I would guess if anything was done that it would be tied to the licence insead of the property. Probably 3 bucks and 3 does. I hunt in a very poor area of the state and many of the locals kill more than 6 deer a year but they eat what they kill. It is more of subsistence hunting. I personally know of one man (with a small family) who the man and wife have very low wage jobs but refuse to get on any government assistance. Their meat diet is what he kills, be it deer, hogs or fish from the tombigbee. They have an impressive garden every year. We talked about the possibility of a doe limit and he said he would just have to eat more hogs. They are much more plentiful anyway.

Regarding the baiting\feeding law, I just want them to make it simple. No gray areas where some people think they are doing right and get a ticket because the GW looks at it differently. Black\white with no gray areas.

I love my country, but don't trust my government.
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: sumpter_al] #2434169
03/14/18 11:21 AM
03/14/18 11:21 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Originally Posted by sumpter_al
I personally know of one man (with a small family) who the man and wife have very low wage jobs but refuse to get on any government assistance. Their meat diet is what he kills, be it deer, hogs or fish from the tombigbee. They have an impressive garden every year.

Is the guy a good hunter? I'd have to think he would be.

And if I was in his shoes I'd probably do whatever was needed whenever it was needed if I was feeding my family.

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: Clem] #2434265
03/14/18 01:09 PM
03/14/18 01:09 PM
Sumter County
sumpter_al Offline
10 point
sumpter_al  Offline
10 point
Sumter County
I personally know of one man (with a small family) who the man and wife have very low wage jobs but refuse to get on any government assistance. Their meat diet is what he kills, be it deer, hogs or fish from the tombigbee. They have an impressive garden every year.

And if I was in his shoes I'd probably do whatever was needed whenever it was needed if I was feeding my family.

I would consider him an ethical hunter, not a brown its down hunter. He does not shoot babies. but if his family needed meat he probably would. So would I. He kills a lot of hogs though.

I love my country, but don't trust my government.
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: sumpter_al] #2434304
03/14/18 01:51 PM
03/14/18 01:51 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

I would consider him an ethical hunter, not a brown its down hunter. He does not shoot babies. but if his family needed meat he probably would. So would I. He kills a lot of hogs though.

That's one good thing about our wildlife population. Deer and hogs are plentiful and, within the seasons or regs, you can do what is needed to put meat in the freezer for a family.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: hhsdc78] #2434309
03/14/18 01:59 PM
03/14/18 01:59 PM
Alabama
canvasback Offline
8 point
canvasback  Offline
8 point
Alabama
Originally Posted by hhsdc78
My contacts say SB 271 has very little chance of passing. I know the Alabama Farmers Federation is against it.

Why are they against it?

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: canvasback] #2434313
03/14/18 02:08 PM
03/14/18 02:08 PM
NW AL
H
hhsdc78 Offline
spike
hhsdc78  Offline
spike
H
NW AL
Why are they against it?
[/quote]

Because it basically combines the Dept of Ag and Dept of Conversation into one agency.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: hhsdc78] #2434314
03/14/18 02:12 PM
03/14/18 02:12 PM
Alabama
canvasback Offline
8 point
canvasback  Offline
8 point
Alabama
Why are they against it?

Because it basically combines the Dept of Ag and Dept of Conversation into one agency.[/quote]

I'm confused.....is the house bill and senate bill the same bill or different?

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2434315
03/14/18 02:14 PM
03/14/18 02:14 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

Agendas in action with the attempt to combine. In other states where this has been attempted, one aspect is the high fence breeders would benefit and the wildlife agency would be diminished or essentially dismantled.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: canvasback] #2434323
03/14/18 02:21 PM
03/14/18 02:21 PM
NW AL
H
hhsdc78 Offline
spike
hhsdc78  Offline
spike
H
NW AL
Originally Posted by canvasback
Why are they against it?

Because it basically combines the Dept of Ag and Dept of Conversation into one agency.

I'm confused.....is the house bill and senate bill the same bill or different?[/quote]

SB 271 & HB21 are two seperate bills. HB21 is the "baiting bill or corn bill" & SB 271 is about combining the two agencies.
Clem is spot on about the effects of SB 271.

Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.