</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
WTB - Browning Maxus
by Okatuppa. 04/26/24 11:25 PM
2010 F-150 XLT 4x4- got serious
by ford150man. 04/26/24 09:39 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by cgardner. 04/26/24 07:15 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
90 registered members (thayerp81, crenshawco, Bread, BobK, WhoMe, Fattyfireplug, Luzzy91, Beer Belly, Austin1, woodduck, chill, Hunting-231, Chiller, BCLC, Bruno, Jbf, Whiskey9, headshot, cgardner, JAT50, BD, Luxfisher, johndeere5036, CNC, oldbowhunter, kaferhaus, Joe4majors, Sparkdu, Chancetribe, goodman_hunter, 3bailey3, specialk, Skullworks, CouchNapper, Atoler, Overland, Turkey, Jdkprp70, cmontgomery, Peach, AJones, Tree Dweller, AlabamaPhi, donia, ParrotHead89, Coosa1, CCC, Okatuppa, IDOT, AustinC, Tigger85, Turkeyhunter12, BrandonClark, GomerPyle, Floorman1, MikeP, Shmoe, trlrdrdave, JHL, Bustinbeards, Jtide, Rainbowstew, wareagul, HSV. HUNTER, Young20, sj22, TexasHuntress, jw706, clayk, Bjoff27, Possum Hunter, TurkeyJoe, AlabamaSwamper, rickyh_2, BearBranch, Paint Rock 00, rhino21, BOFF, BrentsFX4, TamaDrumhead, Dean, blade, Fedex 1, CeeHawk37, 6 invisible), 783 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2261864
10/17/17 04:29 PM
10/17/17 04:29 PM
Moundville, Al
SuperSpike Offline
40 Year Old Bowhunting Virgin
SuperSpike  Offline
40 Year Old Bowhunting Virgin
Moundville, Al
Its a nice deer. If he killed it in a high fence or not, at least he aint making up a "free range" story about it. He just posted a pic.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2261884
10/17/17 04:41 PM
10/17/17 04:41 PM
Wetumpka, AL
ColeT Offline
10 point
ColeT  Offline
10 point
Wetumpka, AL
I believe it was free range until told otherwise. I wouldn't say a word about where if it were me. because you can guarantee that land will be good as gone the next year.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: Jmxinc] #2261888
10/17/17 04:42 PM
10/17/17 04:42 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you

Originally Posted By: Jmxinc
Paul kills a 150 class with a bow more years
than not. Class guy!

Paul is a very good guy. I've known him my entire life. You got that part right. But he does not kill a 150" more years than not. Trust me.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2261977
10/18/17 12:46 AM
10/18/17 12:46 AM
River Bend Bibb
HoofNSpur Offline
8 point
HoofNSpur  Offline
8 point
River Bend Bibb
Yep, this thread is exactly why I don't post my Deer Kills anymore.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: HoofNSpur] #2262000
10/18/17 01:46 AM
10/18/17 01:46 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
Originally Posted By: HoofNSpur

You killing a lot of 160+ deer?

Not directed at Hoof, just others in the thread. As far as me, I just asked the story. Killing a deer like that is impressive but it isn’t common in AL. Many will hunt this state their entire lives and never see a deer of that caliber. I wasn’t questioning whether it was high fence or free range. I assumed this was just another monster like Bankhead (and actually thought it was the same guy). I don’t know why, in a state that doesn’t even produce that many 150+ bucks, it’s so hard for people to understand why others might question a kill like this being high fence. It’s normal to do so. That’s a stud. Personally, I would never participate in a high fence or any other type of hunting that isn't as natural as you find in the wild. That’s just me. I originally asked to get the story because like I said, most people will never see a deer like that outside of a state that produces deer like that. It doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. It’s just the likelihood of seeing that deer in the wild and in AL is unlikely enough the first thought others have is “high fence.” I don’t agree with just jumping in and accusing the guy of hunting high fence, but I also don’t see why others have a hard time understanding why that is what other hunters think.

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There�s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. � Ronald Reagan
Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: Recurve] #2262035
10/18/17 02:12 AM
10/18/17 02:12 AM
Jasper, AL
J
joshm28 Offline
14 point
joshm28  Offline
14 point
J
Jasper, AL
Originally Posted By: Recurve

Not directed at Hoof, just others in the thread. As far as me, I just asked the story. Killing a deer like that is impressive but it isn’t common in AL. Many will hunt this state their entire lives and never see a deer of that caliber. I wasn’t questioning whether it was high fence or free range. I assumed this was just another monster like Bankhead (and actually thought it was the same guy). I don’t know why, in a state that doesn’t even produce that many 150+ bucks, it’s so hard for people to understand why others might question a kill like this being high fence. It’s normal to do so. That’s a stud. Personally, I would never participate in a high fence or any other type of hunting that isn't as natural as you find in the wild. That’s just me. I originally asked to get the story because like I said, most people will never see a deer like that outside of a state that produces deer like that. It doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. It’s just the likelihood of seeing that deer in the wild and in AL is unlikely enough the first thought others have is “high fence.” I don’t agree with just jumping in and accusing the guy of hunting high fence, but I also don’t see why others have a hard time understanding why that is what other hunters think.

I personally know 5 people that shoot 140" deer just about every year IN ALABAMA!! Not a one of them will post a word or picture about it on here. MAYBE a pic like Reeds on Facebook but that's it.

In addition these guys don't post trail camera pics either, nor do I if it's a really good deer. It's just not worth the BS of people trying to find out exactly where the land is, etc.

WAY TO MUCH ENVY WHEN IT COMES TO BIG DEER. AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT THERE ARE STUDS 140"+ killed every year in this state that you will never know about.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2262037
10/18/17 02:13 AM
10/18/17 02:13 AM
Georgia
ALclearcut Offline
4 point
ALclearcut  Offline
4 point
Georgia
Free range in the big pen?

In all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with killing a high fence deer. But if you are going to put pictures of it on social media, then also include in your story the fact that you killed it on a paid hunt at a deer preserve. The whole reason you put the pic on the internet is to brag about your kill. You know it will make the rounds all over the state. That's why you posted it.

We ought to be able to assume that a pic of a big buck from an Alabama hunter is an Alabama free range buck. That's how 99% of the deer in this state are killed. If it's a 160+ you killed on a paid hunt in the Midwest, or in a high fence, then just say it. No one will fault you for that. Where you get trashed on social media is when you post one to brag, but then your bragging turns out to be disingenuous by hiding the full story.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2262114
10/18/17 03:18 AM
10/18/17 03:18 AM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
They don't have to be 160"+ plus for the envy and lies to creep in. If somebody posts multiple 125-140" free range deer on line for several years the result can be horrible.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2262149
10/18/17 03:50 AM
10/18/17 03:50 AM
upatree
rulebreaker Offline
My head is in my ass.
rulebreaker  Offline
My head is in my ass.
upatree
Why does it have to be twisted around like that? It was 100% free range in the big pen! lol

Don't go looking for TROUBLE, it'll find you soon enough!

There are old, wise men and then there are just old fools. The sooner you learn this, the wiser you will be.
Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: joshm28] #2262169
10/18/17 04:05 AM
10/18/17 04:05 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
Originally Posted By: joshm28

I personally know 5 people that shoot 140" deer just about every year IN ALABAMA!! Not a one of them will post a word or picture about it on here. MAYBE a pic like Reeds on Facebook but that's it.

In addition these guys don't post trail camera pics either, nor do I if it's a really good deer. It's just not worth the BS of people trying to find out exactly where the land is, etc.

WAY TO MUCH ENVY WHEN IT COMES TO BIG DEER. AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT THERE ARE STUDS 140"+ killed every year in this state that you will never know about.

I agree with you and know there are studs 140+ that are killed. My question was 160s though. I'll post a kill of mine because I'm proud of it and like you, I really don't post trail cam pics. I hunt on private land with few members so it wouldn't matter, I just don't. If I kill a 140, I'll post it all day. We had a 142 killed on our property last year. My point was, when you get up into the range that deer will probably score, in AL, people will question whether it was high fence or free range, and understandably so. I’m not saying there aren’t deer like that in AL roaming around. Heck that guy in Bankhead got him a monster. I don’t really care if it was free range or high fence. Am I more impressed by a hunter sticking a buck like that on a WMA? Yes. I think most people are, so I don’t fault people for feeling that way. I’m not even saying this deer is high fence. I know some have said it is, some have said it isn’t. It’s a stud either way. I just don’t understand people getting their drawers in a wad over someone asking if it is, knowing full well most AL deer don’t have those genetics naturally without some kind of breeding program and even if we did have those widespread genetics, we probably wouldn’t let them grow to reach that type of mass.

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There�s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. � Ronald Reagan
Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2262178
10/18/17 04:13 AM
10/18/17 04:13 AM
Wetumpka, AL
ColeT Offline
10 point
ColeT  Offline
10 point
Wetumpka, AL
The best hunter I know has killed at the time the fourth biggest and the state and multiple 150 plus and never says a word.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: Recurve] #2262186
10/18/17 04:20 AM
10/18/17 04:20 AM
Jasper, AL
J
joshm28 Offline
14 point
joshm28  Offline
14 point
J
Jasper, AL

I agree with you and know there are studs 140+ that are killed. My question was 160s though. I'll post a kill of mine because I'm proud of it and like you, I really don't post trail cam pics. I hunt on private land with few members so it wouldn't matter, I just don't. If I kill a 140, I'll post it all day. We had a 142 killed on our property last year. My point was, when you get up into the range that deer will probably score, in AL, people will question whether it was high fence or free range, and understandably so. I’m not saying there aren’t deer like that in AL roaming around. Heck that guy in Bankhead got him a monster. I don’t really care if it was free range or high fence. Am I more impressed by a hunter sticking a buck like that on a WMA? Yes. I think most people are, so I don’t fault people for feeling that way. I’m not even saying this deer is high fence. I know some have said it is, some have said it isn’t. It’s a stud either way. I just don’t understand people getting their drawers in a wad over someone asking if it is, knowing full well most AL deer don’t have those genetics naturally without some kind of breeding program and even if we did have those widespread genetics, we probably wouldn’t let them grow to reach that type of mass.

My post wast directed at you alone. My point is that Alabama can and does grow 140, 150 & 160 deer every year. If you have enough land and let bucks get some age on them then anyone can grow a 140. I said 140 in my post because most folks would call me out if I said 160. That being said I know of several bucks between 150-170 that were killed on private land in Alabama in the last 2 years. The common factor on these deer is a decent amount of acreage, summer and winter plots and not killing bucks under 5 years old. Hell most of the big bucks I know of being shot were done so on food plots!! Funny how food plots become a GREAT place to shoot BIG BUCKS when nobody shoots does on the plots nor any young bucks.

I guess my point was most big buck killers in Alabama will never tell you when they kill on on social media. Some members here included

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: joshm28] #2262227
10/18/17 05:01 AM
10/18/17 05:01 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL

My post wast directed at you alone. My point is that Alabama can and does grow 140, 150 & 160 deer every year. If you have enough land and let bucks get some age on them then anyone can grow a 140. I said 140 in my post because most folks would call me out if I said 160. That being said I know of several bucks between 150-170 that were killed on private land in Alabama in the last 2 years. The common factor on these deer is a decent amount of acreage, summer and winter plots and not killing bucks under 5 years old. Hell most of the big bucks I know of being shot were done so on food plots!! Funny how food plots become a GREAT place to shoot BIG BUCKS when nobody shoots does on the plots nor any young bucks.

I guess my point was most big buck killers in Alabama will never tell you when they kill on on social media. Some members here included

I agree 100%. I wasn’t necessarily directing at all at you either. I have seen some really big deer on our property and around the state. We need to do a better job of management on ours. We do fall/winter plots and I put out minerals around the property and even supply some extra protein prior to October. We have all been hurting for time the past few years in the spring/summer so we just haven’t been able to do as much. For my job, I can either take time preparing more in the summer and hunt less in the fall/winter or I can do as much as I can starting in August and have as much time to hunt as I want. I killed that buck Monday morning and he was decent. He’s probably a 115-120 if I’m being generous so I should probably have let him walk. But, it’s the second hunt of the season for me and you can’t beat getting a good buck that early and being able to relax and be pickier about what you shoot at. Plus the fact that it was one of those 5 yard near straight down shots on the run with a stick bow gives me reason to brag a little grin

But yeah, I completely understand there are big deer in AL. I’ve seen them on our property. It’s just the ratio of deer killed in the 160s to deer killed in the 120s is staggering in AL so when those kind of deer show up on social media, people’s first reaction is to ask if it was high fence. It’s bad, but just how it is.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2262910
10/18/17 04:37 PM
10/18/17 04:37 PM
Bagley Al.
Jmxinc Offline
10 point
Jmxinc  Offline
10 point
Bagley Al.
Men I will tell you I have killed lots of deer but None that Size!!
If and when I do you will get to see a pic and I will be darned proud
of it !!
I hope we get to see many more deer like that from our state
And hopefully by Aldeer hunters.

Every day's a gift !
Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2263216
10/19/17 04:00 AM
10/19/17 04:00 AM
upatree
rulebreaker Offline
My head is in my ass.
rulebreaker  Offline
My head is in my ass.
upatree
It's kinda like this. I compare killing a monster in a high fence to catching a 10# bass in a private farm pond versus Lake Martin.

Don't go looking for TROUBLE, it'll find you soon enough!

There are old, wise men and then there are just old fools. The sooner you learn this, the wiser you will be.
Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: ColeT] #2266987
10/22/17 03:59 PM
10/22/17 03:59 PM
AL
C
Cummins Offline
4 point
Cummins  Offline
4 point
C
AL

Originally Posted By: ColeT
The best hunter I know has killed at the time the fourth biggest and the state and multiple 150 plus and never says a word.

Two of my close friends are not on this site nor care to be. They kill 140" and 150" deer here in Bama. FACT !

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: Cummins] #2266994
10/22/17 04:01 PM
10/22/17 04:01 PM
AL
C
Cummins Offline
4 point
Cummins  Offline
4 point
C
AL

Originally Posted By: Cummins

Originally Posted By: ColeT

Two of my close friends are not on this site nor care to be. They kill 140" and 150" deer here in Bama. FACT !

And forgot to say...you want hear a word or see any pics.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper [Re: JD_Deer_Slayer] #2267109
10/22/17 05:48 PM
10/22/17 05:48 PM
East Alabama
M
MorningAir Offline
8 point
MorningAir  Offline
8 point
M
East Alabama
When I had good places to hunt, I would never post trail camera pictures on Facebook or this site. I'll post some on Facebook and here from years ago, but the deer are probably dead by now. There are people that stalk this site and Facebook during turkey season, looking for a lease to dig into.

People make '' hunters '' , out to be good ole boys that love Jesus and are good old school god fearing people, but in over 36 years of doing this, hunting in the south is a sport of selfish pride and crookedness. It's a game of dwindled resources.

Not every year, but ever day, there are less and less, and less, and less acres to hunt, so those that have the acres and aren't afraid to boast, will boast, and those that don't, and have the resources and energy to take, will take.

Also, I understand the hate on high fences, but I've hunted several plantations in the southeast that were NOT high fenced, and been in a couple of fenced places, but never hunted. I can tell you that there isn't much difference. Yes, the deer in the fence probably score higher, but the '' fight or flight '' mechanism in the deer is probably less, much less, in some places without fence. But, I will admit, it does look bad to post a deer on social media that was killed '' in a fence'', it's the optics of it.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.