</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mission SUB 1 XR Trade or Sale
by AL18. 04/28/24 10:36 AM
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Velvet
by Mbrock. 04/28/24 09:16 PM
Forever wild gun regs.
by N2TRKYS. 04/28/24 01:25 PM
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
114 registered members (furnfeather, Bustinbeards, Gunner211, cartervj, UncleHuck, Longtine, Bulls eye, MAG, Bowfish, David Ellis, BearBranch, TDog93, Jotjackson, deerfeeder89, Whild_Bill, AJones, Big Bore, beRAD, GoldenEagle, fillmore, KnightRyder, Dog, metalmuncher, Narrow Gap, TEM, TideWJO, BCLC, russellb, RCHRR, SilentButDeadly, Dixiepatriot, Rockhound, crenshawco, Engine5, Ol’Tom, 4Him146, foldemup, jellyhead11, Justice, fishunt1001, TexasHuntress, M48scout, Andalusia, Turkey_neck, MarkCollin, Okatuppa, riflenut, HappyHunter, Semo, specialk, Beak_Buster, Turkey Petter, Chaser357, dwaugh, BamaPlowboy, outdoorguy88, IDOT, MikeP, Mack1, Claims Rep., HOYT3006, chill, Mbrock, mzzy, coldtrail, hoggin, 3bailey3, PourIron12, gundoc, top cat, DMC, eclipse829, Beadlescomb, bambam32, Herdbull, 4ssss, blade, Ridge Life, MGrubber, canine933, BhamFred, knock him down, cbs, Treelimb, johnv, dave260rem!, alhawk, Jay512, Turkeyneck78, Skinner, Tigger85, treemydog, JustHunt, UA Hunter, square, GomerPyle, Shane99, lpman, CNC, Turkey, GRINNING, Jwbfx4, catdoctor, gwstang, Blessed, Big AL 76, Madmax0818, 7 invisible), 916 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170409
07/19/17 11:45 AM
07/19/17 11:45 AM
Madison
BowtechDan Offline
Old Mossy Horns
BowtechDan  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Madison
2 services. Fixed

Nathan Carl Goff 19 Sept 2016 - 14 Jan 2017.
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: bholmes] #2170411
07/19/17 11:47 AM
07/19/17 11:47 AM
B
BPI Offline
14 point
BPI  Offline
14 point
B
Originally Posted By: bholmes
Very traditional and I love it that way, as it has been said, not there to be entertained. Also, the preaching is traditional, I know where I stand before God when I leave. I appreciate the church the way church used to be.

If we all went back to the way the church sho nuff used to be then we would go sell everything we own and give as people have a need. We would spend days in prayer with one another and no one would go without. Also, we would share the Gospel and our testimony to the point of death and persecution would be a given not something unusual. Anyone coming if that's the deal because that's traditional church.

Yet in our western culture, we split churches over music preference. Go figure.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170416
07/19/17 11:54 AM
07/19/17 11:54 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted By: snakebit
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
It's very difficult for an established church to change it's approach without making a lot of folks mad and losing them.

That was a direct hit to the nail head.

Thanks, but unfortunately, that was the voice of a lot of sad experience speaking.

I know of 2 churches right now that have made a conscious decision to remain exactly as they are because that is what the leadership wants. One of them will very likely survive and continue to be about the same size for years to come. The demographics of their neighborhood will likely allow them to keep on doing what they are doing, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. They will reach people that would be totally turned off by a contemporary service.

The other one looks to me to be doomed. It's an elderly congregation and I think everyone of them understands that not too many years in the future their doors will be closed for good. They would rather face that than to change. I can't agree with that decision, but I suppose it's none of my business.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: BPI] #2170417
07/19/17 11:55 AM
07/19/17 11:55 AM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature

Originally Posted By: BPI
Very traditional and I love it that way, as it has been said, not there to be entertained. Also, the preaching is traditional, I know where I stand before God when I leave. I appreciate the church the way church used to be.

If we all went back to the way the church sho nuff used to be then we would go sell everything we own and give as people have a need. We would spend days in prayer with one another and no one would go without. Also, we would share the Gospel and our testimony to the point of death and persecution would be a given not something unusual. Anyone coming if that's the deal because that's traditional church.

It's all about what we can get out of church instead of what we can give to God and to others. How the music makes US feel and how the church can meet OUR needs.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: bill] #2170419
07/19/17 11:59 AM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Originally Posted By: bill

It's all about what we can get out of church instead of what we can give to God and to others. How the music makes US feel and how the church can meet OUR needs.

So we aren't supposed to get anything out of church? Hm.... Then why do we go? We can worship the Lord by ourselves every day.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: GomerPyle] #2170420
Madison County
B
bholmes Offline
4 point
bholmes  Offline
4 point
B
Madison County
Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
I appreciate the church the way church used to be.

I'm not picking on you, so please don't take it that way......we actually addressed that exact sentiment one sunday in church.

Part of Jesus' teaching was that we are to go out and spread the word, bring people to Jesus. The Church's job isn't to pacify the people already coming every sunday, it's to reach the people that don't already know Christ. If changing "traditional" aspects of the service attracts even 1 unsaved person and causes them to consider a relationship with Jesus, then it's worth it. I heard a preacher once define "Love" as putting others' needs ahead of your own, and doing what is best for them, not yourself. And that translates to a worship service, just like anything else. As a regular attender, we all probably have certain things that we like "the way they are" and don't want them changed, but if that change (as long as it doesn't go against Biblical teachings) can potentially attract new people to Christ, then as Christians, we should consider putting that ahead of our own unwillingness to change. And for those of us who already know Jesus and have a relationship with Him, if changing an aspect of the service is enough to "push us away", then we have a bigger problem than the service itself.

There are aspects of our service that I don't particularly like, but it doesn't affect my faith. And if there's a chance that it could attract someone else to Jesus, then by all means, have at it.

I understand your point and was simply stating my preference when I said what I said. Anything done with the right intent and spirit is fine, that said, I don't want to feel like I'm at the club when I'm at church. As long as the message stays the same. Not here to argue or fight guys.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170421
07/19/17 12:01 PM
07/19/17 12:01 PM
Chilton County
M
MarksOutdoors Offline
Booner
MarksOutdoors  Offline
Booner
M
Chilton County
I hate an organ as an instrument. I like the message/ words of many contemporary songs but don't like too much of the heavier guitar or drum. I still wamt my worship service to be reverant without being entertained by a rock concert.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: BPI] #2170422
07/19/17 12:03 PM
07/19/17 12:03 PM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point

We should worship the way it used to be,the way the 12 apostles taught by example. Who is man today to decide they know a better way to worship ? Man already in some congregations decided God doesn't condemn homosexuality,drunkenness,lying,adultry etc even though his word says differently. To have loud bands removing the focus on the words sung in worship of the Father is glorifying the band members. How many applaud at the end of songs? Why? Because it is showing band members you like THEM The focus should be on God and his son not entertainment of visitors or members.

Last edited by 300gr; 07/19/17 12:07 PM.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170426
07/19/17 12:07 PM
07/19/17 12:07 PM
Clay-Trussville area
Big Al Offline
12 point
Big Al  Offline
12 point
Clay-Trussville area
Jesus told us to love one another, and that we would be known by our love. He said nothing about our music preferences. Honestly, I could go to church and be perfectly happy with Sunday school and preaching with no music. Our worship leader tries to mix it up as far as the music goes, but if it were really about my preference, I'd choose traditional. I love the old hymns, and I like some contemporary, at least those songs where we don't repeat something 20 times (and this does happen in the church I attend). I know someone in the church probably likes it, so if it makes them happy and worshipful, then I don't let it bother me. And people will worry and fight much more about music and care less about accountability.

"Said I never had much use for one; never said I didn't know how to use it".
-Matthew Quigley in "Quigley Down Under"
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: 300gr] #2170427
07/19/17 12:08 PM
07/19/17 12:08 PM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Originally Posted By: 300gr

We should worship the way it used to be,the way the 12 apostles taught by example. Who is man today to decide they know a better way to worship ? Man already in some congregations decided God doesn't condemn homosexuality,drunkenness,lying,adultry etc even though his word says differently. To have loud bands removing the focus on the words sung in worship of the Father is glorifying the band members. How many applaud at the end of songs? Why? Because it is showing band members you like THEM The focus should be on God and his son not entertainment of visitors or members.

If you want to go by who did it first is best, David said to worship with loud cymbals and instruments.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: SouthBamaSlayer] #2170431
07/19/17 12:10 PM
07/19/17 12:10 PM
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

So we aren't supposed to get anything out of church? Hm.... Then why do we go? We can worship the Lord by ourselves every day.

The singing is to worship and praise God. It isn't for our pleasure, It's for God's. The teaching is for our benefit if it's biblical. God says we are to assemble together and encourage one another. We definitely benefit from a bible based church but that benefit is ultimately to the glory of God if we keep the two greatest commandments as our top priority.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: 300gr] #2170432
07/19/17 12:11 PM
07/19/17 12:11 PM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Once again, the Bible mentions clapping during worship, and doesn't say to praise the musicians.

"O clap your hands, all peoples; Shout to God with the voice of joy." Psalms 47:1

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: bill] #2170434
07/19/17 12:13 PM
07/19/17 12:13 PM
Clay-Trussville area
Big Al Offline
12 point
Big Al  Offline
12 point
Clay-Trussville area

The singing is to worship and praise God. It isn't for our pleasure, It's for God's. The teaching is for our benefit if it's biblical. God says we are to assemble together and encourage one another. We definitely benefit from a bible based church but that benefit is ultimately to the glory of God if we keep the two greatest commandments as our top priority.

Good post bill.

"Said I never had much use for one; never said I didn't know how to use it".
-Matthew Quigley in "Quigley Down Under"
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170438
07/19/17 12:14 PM
07/19/17 12:14 PM
sellers, montgomery county
P
paulfish4570 Offline
12 point
paulfish4570  Offline
12 point
P
sellers, montgomery county
contemporary doesn't have to be a performance. traditional doesn't have to be a performance. most "specials" of either kind are performances where the congregants sit on their hands.
Jesus was a jew. the ancient jews CELEBRATED, y'all, in worship. scripture was/is canted.
as long as the music is vertical - towards Him - it's all good ...

paulfish4570
Joshua 1:9
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: SouthBamaSlayer] #2170440
07/19/17 12:15 PM
07/19/17 12:15 PM
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point

If you want to go by who did it first is best, David said to worship with loud cymbals and instruments.

They also sacriced animals and priests were the only ones allowed in the inner parts of the temple. David also committed adultery,and was guilty of having a man murdered. All this happened when he put himself first

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: 300gr] #2170441
07/19/17 12:17 PM
07/19/17 12:17 PM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

They also sacriced animals and priests were the only ones allowed in the inner parts of the temple. David also committed adultery,and was guilty of having a man murdered. All this happened when he put himself first

And one disciple betrayed Jesus and another cut off a man's ear, so therefore their worship is flawed too huh? I'm just saying you can't say the "original" is best because it was original, because technically there was worship way before the disciples.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: 300gr] #2170442
07/19/17 12:19 PM
07/19/17 12:19 PM
Madison County
B
bholmes Offline
4 point
bholmes  Offline
4 point
B
Madison County

Well said, let's see more of Jesus and less of the singer/musician.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170443
07/19/17 12:20 PM
07/19/17 12:20 PM
in the corner
S
Stob Offline
14 point
Stob  Offline
14 point
S
in the corner
I prefer Traditional without a doubt.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170445
07/19/17 12:21 PM
07/19/17 12:21 PM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
It is pretty simple. I don't think Jesus cares whether he is worshipped traditionally or in a contemporary manner so there is no right or wrong as long as it is following his teachings. He just wants us to hear his message. As to which one you should attend, go to the one that brings you closer.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170449
07/19/17 12:26 PM
07/19/17 12:26 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Online content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Online Content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL
Neither one is any more right or wrong. I think a lot of folks try to make it too difficult. Love Jesus. Love each other. The rest is gravy. If you don't like one particular style or the other, that's fine. But to say one or the other isn't genuine, or to claim to know the other people's hearts based in how they worship is wrong. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

Love Jesus. Love each other. His words, not mine.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.